www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Unconventional Robotics - N.S.W
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 63, 64, 65  Next

Author    Thread
andrew

Hmm. Well the weopon arms go straight up from the base plate so sort of a l shape i think. Basically get a piece of metal, put it pointing straigh up on the 3mm base and thats what will be welded.

The base is 3mm ali and the weopon arms are 5mm so will be welded between 3mm and 5mm pieces.

I think i got it cut out pretty spot on. i luckily used the machined side for the piece going on the base so it should be pretty spot on i hope.

Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:46 pm 
andrew

Well today was another pointless day

AT this rate ill be lucky to have the weopon working for next event.

I tried to change my dads idea with lever system but it didnt work then when i put my dads idea back together i drilled a wrong hole. then when i drilled the right hole and started tighening the threded rod the longest piece i had was not long enogh as there is a ratio droppage i think in this idea so u rotate the nut heaps and it moves very little sortaso i will be going to bunnings to get lots more threaded rod and if i am lucky can have this bastard ready for some tests on the weekend after welding.

Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:04 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

What is the threaded rod for - tensioning the belt? There might be easier ways we can look at if that's the case.

Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:30 pm 
andrew

Belt, we dont need no stinking belts Smile.

Nah it is to tension the swivel arm with weopon motor and wheel on it against the weopon bar wheel.

Me and my dad examined everything and looked at how to fix it and realised all thr problems is in the weopon mounting plate. I made it out of 3mm as to 'save weight' and when i tighen things up it twists making the weopoh motor drive wheel shift right.

To fix it i shall remake the weopon motor plate out of 5mm as i tighened the crap out of in testing on prototype and nothing twisted plus go back to the original placement of the L brackets and hopefully should have everything working tomorrow now i know what i did wrong but i still have those 2 wrong drilled holes. 'SNIFF'.

Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:38 pm 
andrew

Well i finally was able to get the weopon running.

Remade the motor mount from 5mm ali. Still have to cut and grind heaps off it to get weight down a fair bit but i tested it at 12 volts but besides a bolt slighly rubbing (easy fix) things look great.

Now i have to cut heaps out of it, drill etc and clena up the garage floor of about a weeks worth of cutting, griding etc. Fun Fun.

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:41 pm 
andrew

Well today proved awesome.

I arrived at nicks and he was able to do some very strong welding on the weopon arms. I was going to have some armour/frame panels cut and welded but i stupidly left them at home. grrr.

After the weopon arms were welded on though i rebolted on all spacers and motor plates and crap, tensioned it all up and spun it up for some testing.

The first few tests were using the wedge attacment mixed with the blade. the first hit only put a small gouge in the wedge but thats because it was travelling far too slow to really get full hit by blade.

The next shot i pushed minataurs old frame with 3 7 amp sla's in it into the blade. The hit launched the test robot (round 8kg i presume) around 1 m in the air and making it do 2 backflps. Orbit (what i ma calling my new one) kept falling on its back though when this happened.

After one more nice flying shot which put a large gouge in the wedge and rear nearly tearing the robt off the woden castored platform i turned orbit around and had it rear first with no wedge halping. It grabbed the bot gouging up rear and going slighly through it and launched it 360 i think.

Basically this thing will rock when bugs r fixed.

2 things though,

some base got a little bent and weopon arms moved a little but thats because the rest of the frame.arour pieces werent there to support it all

and the weopon shaft (cheap crappy zinc steel botl from bunnings bent in a v shape.

SO i need to get the rest of the frame cut and bolted or welded (if nick will put up with me again) and get a hardened steel high tensile bolt from the nut house.

ALso i no have a good quality digital camera so i can take pics and some small vids.

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:15 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

looked okay.

the testing was alright and im sending the videos to jeff now so hopefully he can put them up.

i think it did 2.5 back flips in that big hit Smile

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

yeah man that was sweet.

the other hits were also prety good. launched it off the ground at least and with it running and me pushing it into something then somebody's bot will be flying or broken thats for sure.

For all you spinners also i have a steel rear and vert circular saw attachment which i can do in about 10 mins.

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:02 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

heh just a shame it bent the base, twisted the wheels and put a nice V shape in the shaft Very Happy

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

oh what ever.

There was a slight little bend in the base but nothing is there to support it. u can bend 3mm ali easy but when theres stuff attached to it like L brackets and welded pieces it strengthens it immensnly.

the wheel was a little off when u pointed it out to me because the shaft was bent v shaped plus if its a little off then no biggie i can adjust it but i bolted stuff back on so its very straight now.

The shaft problem is a easy fix in buying a hardened steel bolt or something as good at Lee's bro's tuesday morning before school if its open.

Worse comes to worse the only weak spot is between the two weopon arms and i can bolt some thin L bracketing between the 2 to strenghen it up immesly plus with all frame and armour pieces on it will strenghen everything up quite a bit. the weopon arms had no side support today and i have not done any supporting things so it can be improved easily and alot.

Or i can hammer that part flat after every match like i did today Smile.

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:20 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.ffej.ath.cx/public/robotics/

ffej.net

Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andrew

Hello all,
I mounted the motors to the base pate amd mountes etc. Just have to cut slots for the wheels and that will be done.

I shall travel to lee's bros nut house tomorrow to get a hardened steel bolt to replace the zinc steel bunnings one that bent during testing.

STill do do,
mount batts,
mount radio gear,
cut out other frame pieces ready for welding by nick on saturday,
cut and screw on wedge
test weopon some more

@Jeff Johnson- If u r not busy Saturday morning could i come around and weigh my bot and buy two drill controllers off u as i ave seriously stuffed the others. Plus i can return the done controller u lent me as a guide.

Also i need to drill out and maybe change some pieces to save weight as i will really gun for 24 volts this event but if not then ill hvae 1 12 volt battery in there. BUt even at 12 volt it still have enough to do some good damage and throw some things i bet. 24 volt would be nice though.

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:50 pm 
andrew

Well the drive is done minus soldering on wires to motor.

WIll today makethe batery holders using l brackets and a hinge for each. (May add weight though).

Also need to cut out armour plates and such and drill some holes in the weopon bar to maybe save some weight and other odds and ends.

The only major deal is the electronic controllers and such as it looks like so far i cant get them until the morning of the event which is really bad but will try and figure something out. The ones i had i messed up bad but will try and fix it.

Also need to finish the weopon controlls and hope i make weight but if not there are some options.

CUt the crap out of stuff if its close.

If its a good amount (1kg plus over) then i can drop it down to 12 volts for everything as even at 12 volts itll throw or break something i am certain.

Or take off the 3 ish kg of weopon crap and move the motor and add the vertical sawblade through the wedge mode in which it acts similar to weopon except scraps old weopon system will be doing the deed and will add steel armour to rear if need be for spinners.

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:32 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

did you end up getting that bolt on tuesday?

Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:51 pm 
andrew

yes,
its a much harder and tougher bolt which should not bend hopefully. He said it was much tougher than that previous one i was using so we shall see.

Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:14 am