www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Unconventional Robotics - N.S.W
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65  Next

Author    Thread
andrew

Team Unconventional Robotics - N.S.W

Well still havent touched scrap really lately. Need to fix a wheel jammy problem but that wil take all of 10 mins so no prob there. Just have to get a new weopon motor and rebolt and wire the weopon assembly (thanks aaron ) Smile. WIll see about getting weight down in maybe replacing armour with something else thats lighter or getting it welded or something so bolts r gone
or i could pull out a battery but i dont want to do that now do i.

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:41 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Andrew - I am happy to do a bit of ali MIG welding for you

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:43 am 
andrew

That would be sweet thanks Nick. Just thinking about it as welding is pretty permanent and i may decide to remake scrap or tear it apart or something down the track.

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:56 am 
andrew

Wel hi all. Just made a second ghetto battery pack although i may use it in a 3kg design i have. Hoping to get some more cool stuff made up and such. Going to make some 14.4 volt packs and test teh weopon with 2 of them in series. 28.8 volts will be a hoot if i can do it anyway's.

Nicks helping me sort out a power supply and testing some stuff form work etc for when i get a triton (thanks heaps mate). So hopefully before next event i will have a triton charger and scrap will be running off nicad's.

Also if all goes to plan scrap will be in the weight limit i hope.
Will also paint and decorate is possible.

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:00 pm 
andrew

Well i started the new robots weopon today in drilling the required hole and getting everything centred in the steel bar. After about 30 mins of drilling, lubricating and changing drill bits from smallest to largest basically it fits snuggly on the shaft. I gace it a hand spin to test balance and it feels nice, also started it spinning and rested it on the bolt head and it stayed standing which is a good sign and didnt wobble around. Need to get another drill today for the trigger and a spare motor plus some batts.

@Nick and anyone else basically- SInce u r getting spare motors for basilisk because of the blown one could u keep teh drill trigger and batts for me please unless u use it. Thanks if u can. NO probs if u need them.

Need to get the drill trigger controllers working and i can get started deisgning and maiking th frame and structural stuff.

Also this morning i ordered from oatley electronics- 4 300 watt motors, 2 350 watt speed controllers, 4 chain and sprocket sets, 1 charger and 2 throttle assemblies for teh speedcontrollers.

Going to use 2 of the motor,chain and sprocket drive train parts for what i will be building for my year 12 project hopefully and using the other 2 motor/drivetrains/speed controller stuff for various electric vehicle/s.

Post Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:07 am 
andrew

Well i have the whole weopn assebly made up and testing proves alright (havent actually spun it up yet or anything though).
I thought the setup i have now may be too weak but i believe that it will work well. Seems strong enough anyway's. Only thing i am worried about is the bearings and how they will like a few thousand rpm under them.

Testing will prove whether it will work or not.

I just weighed everything possible yusing a nice kitchen analogue scale which seems to be 200 grams under the actuarate scales jeff has. So with this i weighed everything then added 200 grams and so far everythiung minus frame /wire/connectors/bolts weighs about 10.8 sop some serious hole drilling is to ensue and testing of drill nicads to see if they r usable.

When i design the frame also i will make this robot as small and compact as possible because of weight also to ensue that if i am still overweight (robot also), that i can make some modifications which will definitely drop some kilo. DOnt want to make these changes but if it happens it happens.

ALso Brett or whoever controlling this thing. COuld u change the name to just "Team Unconventional Robotics".
thanks.

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:10 pm 
andrew

Well progress is good so far. I have a standing prototype. Its scraps old lid with 15mm MDF weopon mounts to it.

It looks pretty cool and so far no major screwups or misalligning problems. The re were 1 minor set back but it was easy fixed.

I had to holesaw, trim down then redrill the centre hole about 6 lexan spacers for weopon. I also have most shapes sorted for drawing up to get cut by Nick (who rocks) when its all ready.

I attached a spare red wheel to a drill and tested it and balance seems alright so far and even with a drill powering it i hit whats left of scraps old frame which would be 2-4 kg and it lifted it and nearly flipped at one point.

I still have to get weopon motor mounting sorted and teh tensioning against the weopon wheel prototyped before i start thinking of cutting metal and also get those drill trigger controllers working well.

Weight will be mega tight and i will have to holesaw all internal weopon braces and drill holes in weopn bar and maybe reduce size down to 40 cm (which i dont want to do) if need be.

Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:04 pm 
andrew

Well just did my first spin up tests. Managed to get the tensioning bit done with a bolt and spacers (that steel hollow pipe jeffs mate gave me last event) and a swinging weopon motor arm. that is tensioned via some sliced small L bracketing and a nut being tighened.

At 12volts its alright but at 24 it gets to speed in about 2-3 seconds and is quite cool. Should be effective. There seems to be a slight off balancing or it may be the wood and everything vibrating and not being sturdy.

The next task for tomorrow is to test it against 13.6kg weights and if it holds up then i can get sizes for nick to get 3m ali for and will organise fabricating teh metal pieces off it. Weight will still be an issue but i will get this project done.

So far it has come together very well and is looking quite good for my work.

Watch out all. Very Happy.

Post Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:40 pm 
andrew

Well today was a big success. Had to alter some major things and nearly mangled a weopon wheel (red wheel) when the blade chipped because of it not being alligned correctly). Drained and recharged batteries and they seem normal now which is great.

THe steel bar gets to speed in a good amount of time and thus far has proved awesome. hope it stays this way after i drill holes out of it if i drill holes out of it.

I tested it on scraps old base and front face plate and loaded it with pavers to it was about 11-13 kg abouts. In bashing mode it put gouges quite nicely on the front. almost went through teh top of the front basically gnarled in 4.5mm of the 5mm front. then when i propeed it up on a scrap computer power supply so the blade could grab it grabbed the bottom cutting large hunks and dints out if it.

Then in launching mode it lifted the front up and then threw the pavers out then on the way down launched the now weighless base (bout 3 kg) about 3 metres making it do tripple backflips. The most impressive had to be though when i tested it on the flat end with weight on it it cleaved straight through leaving a great crevass in it and warping the matal around it.

All of this was with a blunt steel blade. Only 2 problems is that the wires get very warm to hot and the motor gets warm easily but iw as in the sun so hopefully it contributed top it a bit.

@Nick- I will get trhose dimensions and such for that 3mm ali to you tomorrow or day after then organise sometime to come over and cut it out and shape it etc so it fits. I had to change what i wanted design wise in looks so the weopon is effective and so i fit in weight.

Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:49 pm 
andrew

Well today i started cutting metal. Both weopon mounting frame pieces and generally the backbone of thr robot are now cut out and quite nicely so compared to past jigsaw work.

THings r looking great so far with this design and after i get the 3mm ali from nick i can get started cutting it down and designing teh small things like hinged weopon motor mounts and such.

May while i am waiting drill the weopon shaft holes in the 2 plates and work on those drill controllers and get them working properly.

The one part that will suck is the wiring. this will be the hardest wiring job i have ever done and will require many one way connectors and some interesting idea's.

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:56 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

good to hear welcher. im back now so ill call you soon btw

sounds like your doing a pretty decent job this time, if you need any help on that wiring im getting pretty good at it these days Cool

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

yeah well i told u before. This time no screwing round. Im doing it all proper. ONly bad bit is my prototypes busted so i cant play with it so ill have to wait until i have the properl one framed up and weopon assembly bolted in.

the wiring should be alright, just careful planning and checking things again and again and getting those bloody drill controllers working.

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:21 pm 
andrew

Well i finally got something done in the extent that i could. I holesawed out pieces from the weopon plates which saved about 100-200 grams (it all adds up dont it) and it is still plenty strong (tested with mallet/hammer).

I also drilled the holes for the weopon shaft and bolted in the steel bar assembly and it spins great and all looks sturdy and very nice. WIll bolt it all down to base plate and stuff and put nyloc nuts on and cut down some more bolts etc when needed.

SO far though this project is looking very good.

Within the next 2 weeks i hope i can do some more weopon tests after having the motor mounting and stuff done and everything bolted to a base plate.

Post Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:30 pm 
andrew

Well today was alright. basically tinkered with weopon stuff. Took everything apart and sprayed heaps of this valcoline lubricant (similar to wd40) throughout the whole thing bearings and all and i greased up the weopon shaft so it runs smoother.

ALso im not sure whether its some of the bearins breaking or whether some fo that lubricant got to where i needed but the weopon assembly spins great now I can spin it by hand and it goes for about 30 seconds plus. Comare to mayeb 6 seconds before.

Post Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:13 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

check your bearings
(if you have a choice) you want sealed bearings, non sealed ones will pick up every bit of crud known to man.

also for oiling bearings and the like you will generally want a grease, something that will stay in there. otherwise use a light weight oil. (sewing machine oil or something perhaps?)

WD-40 type stuff isnt good for long term oiling of stuff, one of its main selling points is that much of it evaporates.

still good to see you putting propper bearings in a spinning wepon

Post Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number