www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Jolt & friends - Team Overkill - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

@ Philip: The only grade of titanium to use is 6AL-V4. I got it from Titanium Joe in the US, as the only supplier in Australia doesn't like small orders much.

The piece I got was 14 x 22" and .0065" (1.64mm) thick. It cost about $130 with shipping. Cutting it will cost another $150 so its not a cheap option.

I honestly don't know what weapons it will stop. I had real problems cutting it myself, so it's likely to be great protection from saws. For KE weapons, something thicker may be needed...

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:10 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

One day I hope to compete in the Aust wide comp. I will have to have armour to stand up to Basilisk Mag as yours is the bench mark for spinners.

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:55 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Smile You're too kind! Until Basilisk Mag moves from a blueprint and POP to having a few matches, I would say that Annhilation definitely wears the title...

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:08 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

nice!

im assuming your using 5mm ali for the real one, provided your not going all weapon hehe

i still love your method of building, with printing it off full size and doing jigs and the like, next bot ill have to do that..

quote:
Tell u what. last event of the series u can fire up basilisk mag or even srtemis if u want and ill take teh weopon off and we will have a rumble.

quote:
I heard that the missing parts left Robot Marketplace weeks ago, so this bot is a definite for Marayong 7 - can't wait!

haha your not off that easy welcher - read those words, definite for marayong 7! Surprised

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

After the builder's meeting, several interesting facts emerged; the narrow 7/8" wheels barely get the motors or IBC warm after 5 minutes of driving and pushing other bots BUT they spin a bit too easily and make the bot even harder to steer. Fitting the 1.5" wheels added to the pushing power and straight steering without overheating the IBC, so they stay on until I need to save more weight.

The skid pad worked OK(ish) but made steering harder and still didn't prevent El Bravo from getting under and flipping me. Its back to a roller ball again.

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:29 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Not much is happening to Basilisk Mag until the remaining parts turn up and I can confirm they all fit and weigh what they are supposed to.

I decided that with the new spinners coming onto the scene, I needed to allow a 'crumple zone' around all the sensitive components. By making the tapered end 20mm wider, I can leave at least 5mm space between the chewy insides and the crunchy chassis. There are also 3 new internal braces around the Mag motor to help prevent the baseplate bending due to impacts. Still well inside the weight limit too Smile.

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:51 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

You realise Nick that if you keep raising the bar with your uber-spinners, then we're just going to have to *lower* it again ? Twisted Evil

We did have a hazard-style design on the drawing board in the early days, but put it on the back-burner for a bit since we didnt want to be too mean and chew up peoples first bots before they got a taste for the competition. you might force us to show our hand and unleash "Rotor-Blade" soon.. (bwahahaha).

Totally unproven of course, and not powered by whyachi/magmotor combinations, but it has some novel engineering it courtesy of garys imagination, so it might cause some consternation if it all works how its supposed to. Might be time to do an update on the build page for it soon then. How long was that blade of yours again ? Twisted Evil

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
How long was that blade of yours again ? Twisted Evil

That bit is undecided yet - basically the blade will use up all the remaining weight. That's about 2.5Kg at the moment, or 2 Kg with some titanium armour.

Its nice to see other teams rising to the challenge with another spinner - sounds like I will have to start building a mega-wedge to keep you all at bay Smile

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:23 am 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

[quote="Nick"]

quote:

Its nice to see other teams rising to the challenge with another spinner - sounds like I will have to start building a mega-wedge to keep you all at bay Smile

Enter Singularity MK2 Smile Hoping to serve up some self destructive goodness at Marayong 7.

ffej.net

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Err, "self destructive goodness"? Confused I don't think you want to self destruct with that nice new RSD80 controller and NiCads?

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:49 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

self destructive goodness - is there any other type of goodness? Very Happy

i cant wait to see this thing whiring up, the sound of that whyachi gearbox sends a shiver up your spine Very Happy

can i ask also how much weight is in the frame alone just for comparison Razz ?

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:07 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Err, "self destructive goodness"? Confused I don't think you want to self destruct with that nice new RSD80 controller and NiCads?

Heh, well, I was kinda implying basilisk as the one doing the mauler after getting hit (what else can a pushy bot hope to do?), but mutual destruction works for me too. Dont worry, expensive bits will be "safe"( well, as safe as anything can be when being hit by a mag spinner) with a large air gap and some decent armour all over this bot. Thanks to the weight ill save by using the nicads, there be no more ply armour.

ffej.net

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Here I am, giving all the vital stats away before the bot is even driving around Rolling Eyes . The chassis is hovering around 2.5 Kg at the moment - all 5mm ali plate.

I noticed something very interesting: the 1.6mm Ti sheet weighs just over half the same sized 5mm Ali sheet. If I used the Ti sheet backed by 3mm ali with some stategic lightening holes and inernal butresses, it wouldn't weigh much more than plain 5mm ali sheet by itself. Something for version 2 perhaps...

It sounds like everyone is counting on the box rush manouver - ain't gonna work Twisted Evil - the bar is really quite light and with the re-timing on the Mag showing some wicked power increase, I believe the spin up time will be only a few short seconds.

Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:41 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Woo Hoo! Very Happy

A huge box of robotic goodness just lobbed up - all the bits I need to build both versions of Basilisk. Just for a change, all the published specs agree with the physical parts for size & weight, so its all systems go for building. I aim to have the base of Basilisk Mag powered up and working by Friday (no stupid weapons tests this time Wink ).

I will be re-working the weight calculations to see if I can add more Ti armour without sacrificing too much structural strength (due to too many lightening holes). With all the counter plans from Jeff, the other Jeff, everyone in victoria etc, I really need a wedge on at least one side to keep competitive. Photos soon...

Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:07 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I seem to spend more time working on bots with a spreadsheet and weight calc than with power tools. Basilisk Mag has dropped almost 700 grams overnight, after the Nicads turned out to be lighter than estimated and I added 19 large holes in the sides to compensate for the armour. That weight saving makes up for a hinged wedge I plan to add.

The base is cut out and I have most of the side panels ready to cut tonight.

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:42 pm