www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Jolt & friends - Team Overkill - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Some good progress tonight: the motor mount blanks are cut out and most of the side panels are cut as well - the bot is really taking shape!

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=168

Here you can see the overhead view with a few components added. The motor mounts are much larger than before and form an integral part of the frame. You can also see the first product from my new bending machine on the right side.

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=169

This picture shows the heavy internal bracing around the mag motor, which, IMHO will stop the chassis getting twisted during big hits. The bracing also acts as the battery compartment.

In the background, you can see the originl Basilisk for a size comparison; the new model is smaller in almost every dimension except for hight.

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=170

Finally, a pic of the new bending machine. It does a great job on ali plate and I also tried it successfully on 8mm steel bar. Its suppose to handle even thicker steel, but I might need some help pushing the handle. With some extra jaws, I hope it will replace much of the welding and produce stronger bots.

The last bit of news is that the individual chassis parts weigh slightly less than predicted - that's a welcome change Smile

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:45 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The bot building was well and truely derailed this weekend Sad

I did, however, find some usefull new supplies; craft shops sell A4 sized sheets of high density foam that appear to be identical to the stuff the Battlepack people use to pad the tops of their battery packs. Its available in 1.5, 3 and 6mm thickneses and costs from 99c per sheet. I plan to line the battery compartment with 3mm foam to help soak up the impacts.

About the only other thins I managed was to solder some Anderson Multipoles to the new 18V battery packs and put them thru a charge-discharge cycle (thanks again for the link, Brett!). Finally, I saved a whole 48 grams by chopping off most of the leads on the Mag motor - I hope I don't regret it later...

The welder is all set up again and this week I hope to weld up at least part of the chassis.

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:23 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Lots! and None at all! (name the book Smile)

I didn't get into the workshop at all today and yet I feel I achieved a week's worth of progress. It turns out my work's CEO thinks the UK Robowars is extremely cool and his son doubly so. Perhaps its idle chat over drinks, but a *real* team sponsorship seems closer than ever. I would really be keen to have a work sponsor deal, whether it's cash, facilities or just licensed theme tune (its handy to work for a record company Smile)

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:17 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

After a quiet week, I got stuck back into the bot building and the chassis is all but complete:

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=174

The final piece goes on first thing tomorrow, then the parts fitting starts. I don't expect any difficulties there except for the motor mounts, which need new jigs and will be very tedious to make. The chassis still under the predicted weight and I am still planning to lighten it further with some 30mm holes in the sides, under the armour ( like the internal holes in the photo).

I held off getting the titanium cut so I can take exact measurements off the chassis rather than the blueprint - welding has a way of magically changing dimensions

Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:34 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The chassis is all welded up at last, now for the cleaning and drilling. I prepped a new set of XU1 motors but its going to be a week or more to get the mounts made.

With all that delay, its getting mighty tempting to bolt the electronics in for a weapon test, despite the disaster when I tried that with Artemis. Perhaps if I attach some wood 'outriggers' to increase the weight and friction against the floor, then the chassis will not torque around in reaction to the spinning bar. Loading the chassis up to 12Kg would also be a good move and while typing all this, I seem to have convinced myself to do it...

Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:06 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I started in on the electricals last night. I must be getting better as there is no mess and except for the battery leads, no wire is over 7cm so far.

The Mag motor has a neat 4 way block of Anderson connectors on it so I can disassemble it quickly, as does the IBC. All the weapon wiring is either 10g or dual 12g after a test showed that single 12g wire became too toasty after 3 minutes - the Nicad pack supplies an awesome amount of current Smile

When the wiring is done, I will start on a new weapon bar. Its looking like being 6mm thick, 65mm wide and 700mm long, with some lightening holes like last time. I want them to be bigger and closer to the centre, so the weight is concentrated at the ends for bigger hits Twisted Evil

Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:09 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The weapon electricals are done and tested. It seems that with the Mag motor bolted in the chassis I will most definitely be winning the noisiest bot prize - the gears make a real racket on 18V.

After some careful measurements, The weapon bar looks like being 620 by 65 by 8mm. the 6mm thick bar is just too flexible and I could see a mauler coming on. With the angled down ends, the bar will be able to hit things only 30mm off the floor - i figure that even Inspector General's gear box is higher than that.

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:15 am 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

hmmm looks like someone will have to build a 30mm high bot then!!

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:39 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well, I did have an idea to put a titanium deflector shield over I.G.s gearbox, with it being cast aluminium I dont know that it would like a big whack without breaking, so I'll see what I can come up with.. Twisted Evil

But are you sure you want to a run a bend in a high-powered blade like that nick ? Most of the bots that I have seen with bent-down blades seem to have a much greater tendency to "pull a mauler" on impact than the straight-bladed variety..

I suspect it has something to do with the center of mass of the rotating blade being moved off center of the rotation attachment point causing impacts to create force vectors with a significant vertical component rather than mostly horizontal ones.

Anyway, I'll just lengthen the spikes out the back of I.G. and push you into the wall with them.. Laughing, they're lower than 30mm I think. I'll make sure they are on I.G. Mk II (The Invertible version). Wink

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I think you at quite right on the lowered blades causing mauler dances more than straight blades, HOWEVER, If I don't, everyone will just drive right under the blade. I didn't see any problems with Annhilation and Arron does essentially the same thing and is taller to boot.

It could be that the US bots that have the trouble have a higher percentage of their mass in the spinning bar. I hope to have time to make several bars to see if any shape has obvious advantages or problems.

About those spikes; did I mention the Ti wedge on the back? Twisted Evil

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:43 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

There is a reason why Annihilation doesn't flip over when hitting now.

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:43 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Might be from a lot of trialing and observation conected with some good engenering concepts Very Happy we used to flip over imediatly with a much lighter bent blade and much smaller motors ..

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:23 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

gyroscopic stability hey?

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

LOL Very Happy I think it came from that one day when one team mate said "Lets put this on to make it selfright" The the other team mate said, "hey, that's a good idea, it will also stop it from doing some other things" which was then followed by, "They, that looks like a Halo!" which was followed by "Doesn't look like much of a saint to me"

The real inner workings of Team Vertex Very Happy

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:53 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I don't think I will have any weight spare for a halo, unless I cut out a huge amount of weight elsewhere. If Basilisk has real flip-over problems, perhaps I can try an ali disk with steel teeth.

It sounds like heap of testing and tuning will be needed before this problem is ironed out.

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:11 pm