www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Raiden - Team Aurora - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Author    Thread
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Just find a friendly american to buy them and then ship them to Australia. It would probably work out to be the same price with McMaster's DHL and tax record.

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:00 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Mc Master don't ship outside of the US anymore, unless your a "valued" customer...

That is my experience too, you have to wonder how they get valued international customers in the first place when they won't ship. Unless you have someone in the US to transship forget about McMaster Crying or Very sad

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:50 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

lol iff you cant they look like something Jake could knock up for you Just say pretty please lots of times Very Happy

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:00 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Just find a friendly american to buy them and then ship them to Australia.

They exist!? Laughing

Shame about mc master... we'll just have to develop the same sort of stuff in Australia then won't we! There is a huge lack of online stores like that in aus compared to the states... Confused

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:46 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol thank god for american connections,

well anyway i need to start making this thing happen before annihilator time so ill do the bits that are certain for now, i.e. battery and IBC mounts.

i was apprehensive about that giant polycarb plate deal as im fairly paranoid about it cracking and dumping the guts of the robot all over the floor.. eek and taking that off would mean the entire guts would be able to move around and make mounting it all again damn hard. soooo

the ibc will now mount as per kang and old cobra via a pair of hose clamps that wrap it up. so thats all fine.

the battery mounts are now individual and have those 4x m6s welded on with 3mm steel cases that cage the batteries in. was going to use polycarb but tapping 6mm poly really sucks and this way is easier and cooler. will just have to line the battery bays well and heatshrink the packs. cobra has never shorted a cell this way so yeah... ill do that tommorow.

oh and heres the bis disk design ive been thinking of. i wanted one tooth but it turned out you need a pretty massive counterweight on the other end which ends up eating too much weight and loosing to much MOI, so ill just keep it two toothed. i was thinking having three ribs and two teeth might throw it off balance but rhino doesnt seem to think so Confused will probably mod it to be 4 ribs..

Post Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

you can reduce the ammount of counterweight by making the "backing" of the tooth smaller

like our 1 tooth one, it just had a teensy tooth sticking out there and a pretty small counterweight as a result.

3supports 2 teeth should be ok.
If all the components in isolation ballance, then the whole should ballance too +- somewhat.

Ey and that rim design looks pretty familiar there boyo ;-P

we should make a "figure of merit" for spinner KE comparisons.
KE at 2000RPM perhaps? raw MOI?
KE @ 2000 / weight.
efficency of the thing perhaps

Post Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
we should make a "figure of merit" for spinner KE comparisons.

How about "how many Kilojoules-per-hit it can survive *delivering* to the opponent without rebuiliding ?" Razz

Post Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

indeed indeed. i might try import the .iges into solidworks and see if it wants to give me a MOI for this thing or not.

but anyway i think i finally found enough box section on the dumpster run last weekend to get the front end of raiden out of the way so hopefully i can get that done by the end of the weekend.

also was worried about the panels getting pounded inward by vertical spinners so i added this 4mm steel bracing under neath. this will nearly bring it to the weight limit Razz

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/Cobrarobotics/Raiden/underbracing.jpg

ill get those cut out tommorow too. and with any luck ill either redesign or built the aluminium weapon motor mounts.

edit - argh those battery mounts are disgusting. thats it, im getting a fibreglass kit and am making my own lol...

Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:40 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

more cadding... this is turning out to be like cobra. half a year of cad and a power build at the end lmao.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/Cobrarobotics/Raiden/newbrace.jpg

the bracing for the bottom of the panels was way too massive. it ended up weighing about 500g which put it over the limit by some 100g when including the new addition (ill put some info about that down the post). so ive cut that down to this kind of level. notice the battery mounts arent there any more. i want to make myself a custom formed fibreglass holder to clamp the batteries in then drill it out.

now about that new addition, having seem jolt punch holes into 3mm box section and this being about 2mm i thought i better brace that up some too. and more support on the main load supports for the weapon shaft couldnt hurt. so more 3mm over that.

still have another 800g to play with so ill give myself some play there for the battery mounts.

oh and on proper progress i cut one of those box section pieces out.. it takes absolutely forever as it has to fit in really well. ughh.. and another piece still needs to be done.

Post Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:40 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

while cleaning up today i found the frame of this little guy and with all the other parts i consequently found pondered on putting it back together as a bit of a throw around robot.

always had problems fitting the batteries in but with the dawn of A123 powah am thinking this isnt an issue any more. so with the spares ive gotten from viscerals packs ill use those.

also was going to use two of the big jaycar motors with friction drive, but found i can cram a flat plate motor belt drive onto the disk which i coincidentally happen to have Surprised

swapping the victors in place of the ibc also saved a bit of space as i can split them up..

also still have one andrew mod so only need to grab another one sometime down the track and ey ill have most of the parts. maybe ill use those dewalts...

anyway ill shift things around some more and see what comes up aye Cool

Post Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:50 pm