www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Radios mainly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

We use a wide variety of frequencies. We should not interfere with any other radio as we are in steel sheds.

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:10 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Frequency choice has proven to be more a case of "What Works and what doesnt" for Robot Wars competitors.

The "Official" Australia ground frequency (29Mhz) sucks badly. It needs massively long antennas (prone to being chopped off or damaged in Robot Wars), is very subject to interference (Causing our failsafing speed controllers to stop or get the jitters), and Radios with 3 or more channels are impossible to get on this frequency. Most cars only need 2.

36Mhz is a bit better, but not much. A Good (not a cheapy) 36Mhz radio works OK if everything else is right, but they still suffer from reception problems on occasion.

72 and 75Mhz Systems from the USA work much better, being double the frequency, and so need shorter antennas and get less interference, but are of dubious legality. Noone in Robot Wars will bite you for using one, but you might find some RC Plane clubs or do-gooder "But thats "Illegal" (gasp) !" nobs whining.

So far the best system price, reliability and features wise has proven to be the "Spektrum" 2.4Ghz systems, which also avoid frequency/crystal clashes and are legal in Australia.

more info here
http://www.robowars.org/wikka/StandardRadio

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fish_in_a_Barrel

Thanks,
It helps to know that we're in one of those infamous grey areas. I imagine with the tight reg's on 2.4GHz, it's legal to do anything with it as long as it isn't modified.

I think I'll have a closer look at the Spektrum series. Is anyone local using them?

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:15 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Everyone who can afford them seems to be switching over. Since I started using 2.4GHz, I have not had a single problem - highly recommended!

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:23 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

There are at least 5 or more teams using the DSM/Spektrum 2.4ghz so far.

Cobra
Rotwang
NMO
Vertex
Nick

and more that I cant remember right now

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

I've revived this thread rather than start a new one.

I think we need to have a rule added regarding spektrum radio's

We currently have 11 spektrums coming to robowars 4 and I feel that in the interest of safety we need some precautions regarding binding radio's to receiver in the pits.

It would be very easy with 11 radios for 2 people to have the bind plug inserted in there receiver at the same time, this could have the potential for 2 receivers to be controlled by the 1 transmitter.

I was hoping something simple could be implimented such as having a policy of loud annoucements when ever someone wants to bind a radio (hopefully no binding is needed as we should have all tested radio's etc before the event.)

What does everyone think?

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:23 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I think a quick announcement through the pits should be fine. Sort of the same as if you have the power your robot up in the pits.

This should still be less of a hassle then it was chasing people up about which frequency they were on before each battle to ensure crystal clashes didn't happen Smile

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:27 am 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

You could have a binding table, where you would bring your bot & radio and bind on the table. That way could see if anyone else is binding at the same time.

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:42 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Generally there is a table with the scales set up so that might be an appropriate place.
I am generally cranky enough on the day without people bothering me with extra announcements. Smile

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:20 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I think binding is a rare enough event that it shouldn't be a problem.
its not like binding your radio is going to bother somebody who is in a match at the time.

in terms of risk vs cost its not really worth the hassle.
If two people are binding at the same time then (as i understand it) all that will happen is it won't work, those people will look around and see somebody else with a spectrum and work it out between themselves.

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
cyberman

huh

yer i know this is a stupid question but if im supossed to get a frequwencey at the beggining of a match and i have a spektrum. How do i get that frequency (dont they choose a free one for me???)

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

yes they choose it for you and unless you have a rather expensive spectrum analyser then you can't find it out. This shouldn't be an issue as the spektrum radio's are ment to avoid conflicts. hence just saying that your radio is spektrum is enough.

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:55 pm 
cyberman

ok thats good then

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Don't the Spektrum's also use a bit of Frequency hopping like Bluetooth etc etc? So technically your never on a single channel for much longer then 100 ms?

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:10 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

As someone observed at our Builders meeting the other day. The Wacky Races should be an interesting test of the Spektrums, with so many bots running them all simulataneously..

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:58 pm