Knight

Team Haphazard Robots State: NSW

Robot Name: - TBC-
Type: Wedge/Flipper
Weight Class: Featherweight (13.6kg)

Technical:
Robot Power: 10x 1.2V (12V Total) NIMH 2.7AH cells
Weapon Power: Pneumatics (low pressure)
Radio control: 4 channels: 2 Drive, 2 weapon.

Drive Systems:
2x Jaycar 12V motors
Direct Drive to 13cm (Aprox) wheels
Speed control achieved through 2 electrozine 15amp speed controllers.
Third wheel caster

Weapon System:
Flipper - Pneumatic
Storage system 2x1.25 litre PET bottles, charged to aprox 100 - 150 psi
Pneumatic control: 2 servos
Ram: Modified bike pump

Chassis:
Frame: Welded steel bars
Armour:
Temporary Plywood plating, possibly with aluminium sheeting as re-enforcement.
Final armour steel plates.

Current status: Design stage

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well there we go, the basic fit out of my robot.
Now all we have to do is put it together. Simple Razz

Last edited by Knight on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:31 pm 
andrew

Hey man,

Just a few words for that, the jaycar 12 volt motor/gearbox setups sold out a while back but if u mean just the motor well the motor alone wont work for a drive, u need something torquey like a drill motor/gearbox or 100watt scooter drives/kiddy car drive systems or something.

Also i would highly suggest getting a IBC controller from robowars.org/brett/jason over two electronise setups, the ibc will end up being bout same price or a lil more but it is very easy to use, has mixer/weopon activation built in etc and if it breaks or u blow something up u can get it repaired locally instead of sending it back overseas for repairs.

Also if i were u id come to a NSW event next time its on (in a few weeks i believe) or if we have any build days etc i suggest come to them and see what we have done/discuss some of yoru ideas with us and we can all assist u in your first build.

Also if u wish u can add me to yoru msn and we can talk bout what u got planned and go over details and throw upideas of what u wanna make and how u can do it

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:47 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The next event is on Saturday April 22 at Marayong, please feel very welcome to come along, look at the bot, ask questions etc - it's the best way to learn.

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:05 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Yep. and the best way to get hooked Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:09 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Andrew is right in saying that the IBC can be posted to Melbourne for repair and the Electronize has to be posted to England for repair. The Electronize is not, however, the same price as the IBC. The Electronize setup posted to Australia that Knight is talking about is just under half the price of the IBC. Andrew is correct in saying that you do need to mix the speed and steering signals with either an onboard mixer or with a radio with built in mixing.

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:09 pm 
andrew

correct therephillip, soryr bout that, havn checked prices on other controllers like electronize for a number of years

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:20 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

If the Electronize ESC has no mixer, that adds about $70 for an IMX mixer or maybe $30 for a crappy V-tail unit. Radios that do inboard mixing would usually cost more than a mid-range radio plus an IBC. The other thing that is great about the IBC for beginners is that there is much less wiring and we can all offer advice on how to do it.

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:01 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

but if he likes making electrical things then he can have a go at making a mixer. They seem to be a lot simpler then speed controllers.

And didn't Philip repair a blown Electronize in half an hour? I didn't know Philip was an electrical wiz.

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:08 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I didn't repair a switch at all. The switch was fine all along. The wires were broke. One side of the Electronize switch would not work on the day because I adjusted the trims fully in one direction in desperation during the Cobra fight.

My radio is a very cheap one, Hitec laser 4. It has on board mixing. My V tail mixer was just under $25.

Nick is right. There is less wiring with an IBC. You need to run one pair of wires from each Electronize back to your power switch instead of one pair with the IBC.

There are pros and cons with any type of controller. Lots of research and understanding the comparisons should help you to make a decision with which you are comfortable.

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:49 pm 
Knight

Basically, the only thing that is stopping me buying the IBC is price. I can do the electrozine setup for aprox 1/3rd of the cost of the IBC. And considering the other startup costs (radio is the ovbious one) it is appealing. However i do quite like the IBC, its a good design with lots of features, all of which are useful.

I guess i'd like to get a robot up and working sooner rather than later, and waiting for the money to buy an IBC would put it at later. But looking at the design i was playing with, the time taken for me to build it may allow this. So i will leave buying a speed controller till the last thing.

On the motor issue, i've debated the same thing, and this is very much only a first draft, and is subject to change.

Unfortunatly i'll have to miss the next NSW event as i'll be interstate at the time, however i will be at the one after that (or build event if there is one inbetween)

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:00 pm 
Knight

Well after being in the right place at the right time i've secured some items on the wish list.

Drive motors: 12V drill motors (with gearboxes)

Temperory speed controllers will become a servo and microswitch setup, i'll probably have to write a PICaxe chip to act as the fail safe, but that is another problem for another time.

I'd prefer an ESC, but i figure at just under $20 for both, its a good way to get something up and running and learn how to drive it, before buying an expensive IBC.

I've been told a good place to get Air solenoids is SMC pneumatics, in castle hill, so i'm going to pay them a visit sometime and see what they've got.

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:11 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
I've been told a good place to get Air solenoids is SMC pneumatics, in castle hill, so i'm going to pay them a visit sometime and see what they've got.

Around $120 a solinoid valve...

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:17 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

For air up to about 100psi water valves seem to work well.

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:20 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yea we have the catalogue at work and they are a rip off... and i think smc at castle hill only does trade deals?

sounds like your using low pressure so you could even just use one of those gurney handles with a servo pressing it like el bravo. and im sure marauders valve was fairly cheap too.

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, $120 seems a bit harsh; Jeff used a very cheap air gun valve in ElBravo and it worked pretty well for over a year. Buy a pro valve by all means, but try a $10 part first to see whether the rest of the system is up to scratch first.

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:31 pm