www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Haphazard Robots State: NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Knight

Yay, progress!!!

I bought the wood today, its a 6mm, 5 ply base and i've mapped everything out, it all fits.

Now to build.

Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:22 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy awsome. Get pics when you've done some work on it. Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:42 pm 
Knight

Bah its so annoying, i've got most of the stuff, but i can't start work on it because of stupid exams and major works GAH

Next week there will be progress

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:49 pm 
Knight

Yay, progress, the base of the robot is cut out. It doesn't look as good as i'd hoped, the back end looks a bit fatter than i expected, but oh well.

The base is thick enough that i don't need to worry, i'd expected it to bend in the middle, but thats not going to be a problem.

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:17 pm 
Knight

Yay, much progress has been made.

The frame is nearly complete and i've bought a small 4 channel radio.

i need a couple of L braces and to screw the rest of it together but it is coming together nicly.

I'll post pics as soon as i find where my sister put the digital camera....

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:00 pm 
Knight

Again i struggle to find the camera, i'll put photos up tomorrow, i'll use my phone if we still can't find the camera

On a different note however, i've got a radio kit.

A friend bought it off ebay for his model aircraft, but then bought a 7 channel because he could, so said i could buy his 4 channel from him.

Its an Art-tech E-Fly, operating on 27.145 Mhz, 4 channel. (yes i know chances are i'll end up with some interfearance from CBs but hey)

The only thing is, there is no spot on the reciever to connect power to. Sam said something about connecting it to one of the output ports for the servos but that doesn't make any sense, so i'm turning the question over to you guys, where do i connect the power? (there are only 4 spots on the reciever, one for each channel)

(dam that sounds like a dumb question)

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:03 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

You can power an RX from any servo channel. Each servo channel has all the Pos + & Neg - rails joined together to share the power source. The only part not shared is of course the signal wires which have to go the micro in the RX to process each servo's movement.

How much did you pay for this radio? Sounds a little old, but knowing some of the older units, probably still of good quality Wink

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:36 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

If you need all four channels you can just buy a Y harness that will split the channel into two leads, stick a battery pack into one of those. Again, this can be in any channel. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:11 pm 
Knight

Okay sweet that makes some sort of sense (now just to figure out which line is positive and which is negative)

umm i paid $50 for it, which includes the Tx, Rx, a battery pack from a different Tx (can be modded to fit the Tx, but don't think i will) and several capacitors (plans for these include a coil and rail gun) Oh and a large servo.

And yeah i agree, i reakon it is probably old, i've not been able to find any hobby stores selling them nor any documentation on the net. but apparently its been tested, so it still works

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:53 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Most recievers (but not all some older types were differant ) have the negative closest to the out side of the case then the positive then the signal If you got any servos with it then they will have the wires coloured .most will only plug in one way ...if you have servos that only plug in one way then the black or brown wire will be neg .the red will be pos and the other colour is usualy signal .This can be usualy orrange or white .

hope this helps

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:01 pm 
Knight

Its going to be touch and go if i run tomorrow or not. All the body work is done. But electronics leaves a little to be desired.

I can't do anything about it now, i might run slightly late tomorrow due to dropping into jaycar on the way...

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:06 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I've got the battery packs done and charged for you, as well as some random terminal blocks and lengths of 25A wire to help you get it setup. Smile It will be first priority tomorrow morning to help you get the bot working. I can also give you some ever ready gold batteries that are still in top shape for your reciever battery. (I only needed them to test a radio and mum went overboard in the quality area LOL) . Very Happy Good luck with it.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:34 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah we'll help with the electronics if we can too

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knight

Well thankyou to everyone that helped to get my bot kinda going at the event.

For those that wern't there the day went as follows:

Turned up, found that one drill motor had dissapeared between packing at home and arriving at the event. Was lent another which was modded.

Battery packs were borrowed as promised from dyrodium, thankyou (btw, any chance i could borrow them again next event please?).

Wires were run and connected to the reciever and when switched on, some movement was seen from the servos.
Progress

The motors were attached and then checked with the servos, and they worked, after some more fiddling.

The next problem, and the one that proved fatal, was motor mounts, i'd made some at school, but had problems attaching them to the base. I eventually used one and then used cable ties to hold them down.

unfortunatly this wasn't enough and the motors only span in their mounts.

Thanks to everyone who helped to get the bot up and running, hopefully with some more work before the next event, i might be able to fight properly.

The other thing that i'm starting to think about now is a weapon, i'd like to go down to sidetracked, and for that i'd like an active weapon. I'll worry about it more after the next event, see how the ply holds up against the attacks of jolt and orbit. But i'm still not sure if i go with a spinner and electric motor, or pneumatic ram. That was part of the reason for the long front section, to fit a ram in. hmm we will see.

anyway thats all for now, again thanks to everyone who helped get me up and running.

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:49 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

No problem, if you get a charger for them you can borrow them permanently! Smile BTW, name's Angus Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:11 pm