www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

total noob
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
cj

total noob

Hi,

I have been interested in getting involved with something like Robowars for some time and the Ideas Festival gave me the opportunity to witness them first hand. Now the interest is enflamed and I am gunna do something about it.

I have no gear at all and not a huge budget. I am going to spend prob a month with a pen and paper before I purchase a thing, but will be looking around at what things there are to be purchased. First of which is RC gear, so my noob question is:

Should I get a std 4-6ch radio or one of these newfangled DX6 spread spectrum jobbies? I figure that at the 'bot end it'll be the same and I reckon I'd get an IBC too - is that the best thing?

ta muchly,
cj

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:57 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Spend the extra and get a Spektrum... I drove Vertical Limits all weekend at the Ideas Festival without a single glitch using Spektrum, it even out performed Team KO's PCM radio which glitched a few times... There is nothing worse then sitting in the arena twiching because of the lack of radio, T2M suffered bad radio and lost two matches because it just simply couldn't move during the battle...

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:03 pm 
andrew

if u want get a IBC but it isnt critical especially for people starting out in this, mine and many others first machines when we wee first starting uses servo switch setups which only gave bang bang controll which was good enough but a IBc is very nice indeedy and certainly helps alot especially if u have a weopon to activate.

My robot Orbit (the one with the very large vertical disc) after its match against Jolt (overhead bar that is prob nastiest bot in Aus) after about 4 hits afrom Jolt and wheels propeed off ground the IBC box's top was sjifted and eveyrthing crooked and the cable ties that help Ibc in etc had snapped and it didnt skip a beat which was interesting.

But yeah as i tell all newbies into this thing if u ever wana chat or need any help or what not my msn is sir_welchalot@hotmail.com

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:37 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Welcome, cj. You are in the same position as many of us were when we started.

You will find lots of useful robot type information by using the search function up in the top right hand corner of the screen.

I have never had any problems with my FM radio. You might consider PMing Nic, aka Original Carnage for a price on radios. He works at Wings over the Downs hobby shop. Marshal, Froggy au au, also works at a hobby shop.

I like using electronic speed controllers. They make controlling your robot much easier. Like Andrew, I also started with microswitching on/off controllers.

You might like to come to an event that is schedualed for easter Sunday. You can have a very close look at all of the robots and see exactly how they work. It is a friendly and relaxed event up at HoC. Nic is a great host.

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:30 pm 
cj

Unfortunately I'm busy easter sunday, but am interested to come to the next QLD event - where is HoC?

cj

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:27 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

28-30 King St, Goombungee. (40 mins NW from Toowoomba)

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:36 pm 
cj

cool. Is it still the 3rd sunday of the month? I am thinking about getting this radio: http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_model_radio_control/spektrum_dx6.htm

cj

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:23 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Welcome cj that radio sounds ok from what ive heard there is a spectrum module thing just released for robot combat some one else can fill you in on the details but they are progrmed slightly diferent to the aircraft ones for fail safes etc .Some were haveing problems with the recievers that were deshinged for model planes.Hang off getting it until you get a little more info .

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:39 am 
cj

ta, won't be buying anything for about 2 months. wanna get all the info first.

cj

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:55 am 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

hi CJ, welcome to robot combat. The radio you are looking at is excellent from what we've seen over the past few months. However it currently has 1 majior drawback, it will bypass all the failsafe code in any addon or inbeded failsafe in either ibc or a module you add in between your radio receiver and speed controller (a failsafe shut's down all robot functions in the event of a loss of signal from the radio transmitter, and is required under the current rules)

The radio currently is supplied with the AR6000 receiver but the spektrum people will soon release the BR6000 receiver which solves this issue. Once this issue is resolved this radio appears to be the best solution currently available.

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:45 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Or you can just buy the DX3 3 channel Wheel radio and not worry about the failsafing issue

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:19 pm 
cj

I saw a 3 channel radio on eBay (#6049335682) for $360 and the dx6 appears to be around $430, so I reckon I'll just get a DX6. From other posts I have gleaned that the IBC is about the same cost as designing, building and destroying my own power drivers although there is a lot of 'learning' in that process. Also I have seen there is an Open Source Motor Control thing, it looks about the same price as the IBC, what's the consensus with that?

It seems to me that featherweight is the most popular, that's 13.63 - 27.27 Kg right? The rules mention a higher weight allowance for walking robots, is that the case. I haven't seen any - are they too hard to build?

cj

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:42 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Feather weights are 0 - 13.6kg (30lb). Lightweights are 0 - 27.2kg (60lb).
There is a 100% weight bonus for walkers. The reason why no one has built a walker is either because we arn't sure if we could build one that could survive combat or its because of all the discussions (arguments) about what is a walker. Have a look in the rules section and look for The Eternal Walker Debate thread and you'll see what I mean.

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:54 am 
cj

I had a look at that thread and now I have a headache Confused Why can't it be that any bot that doesn't use wheels or tracks on the floor is a walker?

Cool on the weights, so I should aim for sub 13Kg.

cj

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:10 am 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Because then you could just add little feet off the end of your wheels and get double the weight Smile

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:11 am