Experienced Roboteer

Banshee - Team Aurora - NSW

Name: Hyzer
Weight Class: Lightweight
Drive: 2x 100w scooters
Drive Controllers: IBC
Weapon: Crusher
Contruction: mild steel, stainless and box section

well might as well make a thread for it as the magically PoP is building up beside my bed (pissing mum off in the process XD). woodzillas been one of my favourite weapons ever and there is just something insanely appealing about crushers so i figure ill put it to good use in building a huge version.

the design is much different from the one ive posted on the forum before. still getting it to be a lot more visually appealing...

mostly made from 50x50x2 and 20x20x2 box section for the frame and a bit of .8mm steel for covering. some 3-4mm in the important places.

drive... well this is mainly whats gotten me back into building the lightweight. i found the scooter pulleys are a perfect fit for the bosch GPB motors which will definitely have some grunt. so im going to mate the 100w drive train to the bigger motors and instant lightweight drives!

batteries, two 7ah SLAs i wish i still had those two 3ah nimh packs as theyd work perfect. but anyway...

the weapon... well im using this big daddeh in there. i think its rated for 800kg?? well anyway ill be giving that a bit of a gear up for lack of a better word so im hoping around 1000kg on the tip. considering that im sticking woodzillas 100kg odd through 3mm poly i dont anticipate much opposition there Razz jaw mostly from 6mm steel, 3mm steel top covering, 3mm steel internal webbing to brace it up. and ill have a replacable tip just like woodzilla. run it all on a 16m stainless shaft with bearings inside the jaw this time to get a bit more efficiency.

controllers for the drive are mostly the uncertain part. might just prowl the us forums and see what pops up Razz more than likely will borrow king cobras 885s.

The actuator, in reference to hyzers baby brother lol. retracted

extended with woodzillas jaw on for refence

and if it cant crush the oppenent itll just do it to itself!! XD in this case 4mm steel and 20mm MDF lol

bring on more robots!

Last edited by Glen on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:03 pm; edited 8 times in total

Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well plenty of thought has gone into the crusher. i really wanted to lay the actuator flat on the robot and use some linkages to get the jaw to travel 30cm and use the full extension on the actuator. couldnt do it lol so i just turned it into a massive woodzilla clone. shes a bit top heavy but we will see what one can do wrt that.

not sure how to work out the force but the tip is 28cm from the shaft and the point the actuator attaches to the jaw is 33cm away so does that mean it should have a 1.17x increase in power or is it just the travel of the actuator over the travel of the jaw tip? in any case the power is somewhere between 600kg and 1600kg...

the jaw in the cad will be bent in like woodzillas so thats just laziness i havent cadded it that way hehe.. all up weight on the jaw is about 4kg. and the frame comes in at around 5-6kg and its 20x20x2. i might stick a few more horizontal parts on the base plate.

at least i can start cutting the crusher bits out now i know its general dimensions. woohoo Smile

another spiffy thing i noticed is that one of the NPC motors is the same as the one thats on the actuator. its the same size and shape and look so im assuming its the same. 0.7hp if it is.

if anyone has a cad of the 100w scooter belts and wheels id REALLY appreciate it Razz

Last edited by Glen on Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Power is constant. It won't change depending on the length of the crusher. I think you are getting confused with force.

You need to work in moments to calculate the force. Moment is another name for torque.
The moment on the actuator side = the moment on the pointy side.

Distance between pivot and actuator point x actuator force = distance between pivot and tip x tip force.

Therefore:
Tip force = (Dist between pivot and actuator x actuator force) / Dist between pivot and tip

= (0.33m x 7848N) / 0.28m
= 9249.43N or 942.86kg

Another thing I noticed about what you said is that it has a 0.7hp motor. So if the actuator is putting out 0.7hp or 550W then it should travel at 7cm per second when putting out 800kg of force. My actuator only does about 1cm per second and the motor seems almost the same as a 100W scooter motor. Seems like more over rating on spec sheets again. The force is right, the speed ain't.

And I can send you models of a 100W scooter wheel and belt. Just let me know what format you would like it in, *.sldprt or *.igs

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:04 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

cheers for the lesson, 900kg will do me nicely Smile

as for the cad .igs is probably best. rhino doesnt convert straight from .sldprt, thanks!

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/marketplace_gearmotors.html im pretty sure the motor at the bottom is whats in it, i imported the cad of that motor into the actuator as it looked the same and turned out to be the same size and have all the same features and so forth, so maybe just a lucky coincidence? its a shame the npcrobotics site isnt working any more (?) or id look at it more.

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:18 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well the jaw design is finalised as are the ones for the front forks so ill get to work carving those pieces out of 4mm, 3mm and 12mm steel respectively. i may also change the very front horizontal piece of box section to 50x50 instead of 20x20 just to beef it up a bit more and ive got it here so yeah.

also pondering just buying 2x 300w scooter drives just for the hell of it. id really prever the gpb's but those scooter pulleys dont seem to want to come off at all... and i would like an option to run it at 36v for a heavyweight style variant Smile

Post Wed May 03, 2006 3:53 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well i calculated the weight and it magically went to like 26kg without any armour Shocked so cutting away tons of superfluous frame work made it shorter, changing it down to 100w scooter motors and 40 drill cells instead of the 2x 7ah SLAs leaves me with this which is 21kg as it stands.

i can stick another 40 cells in there if need be but i think 2 strings should be right. all the motors are mega efficient but at least i have some expandability in there Smile

plenty more armour work to do, but im using 6mm poly screwed together to cover up the internal stuff and then ill more than likely just armour the wheels, the front and across the actuator.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 8:47 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

the spike looks mean i'll grant ya but a simple triangle would be loads stronger and easier to make yaknow.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 11:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

the plan was to have that top bit and bottom part totally flat so it was like a triangle but it was just flat out too heavy, that jaw alone is like 4kg and i think the bigger straight one was like 5.5kg, but i also have been thinking about tapering the whole thing inwards so if you looked at it from the front the whole jaw would be triangular in cross section Cool

i would probably say the other robot will fold before the jaw does anyway Razz

Post Thu May 04, 2006 11:16 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i was thinking of a few bits of that box section welded up
i reckons you would get change out of 1Kg if you did it right

Post Fri May 05, 2006 1:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Glen I finally thought to measure Maestro up for you .His gas bottle body is 230mm and he has 30mm ground clearance.

You might have to be quick to catch him though. Smile

Post Sat May 06, 2006 9:23 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

great Smile i didnt plan on maestro to start with actually lol the only lights i remembered off the top of my head where king pin and the keros one Razz so ill have to armour it up decently hehe

Post Sun May 07, 2006 12:29 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Might be a good idea to Armour it up a bit better than Hellcat and Loki, they were a bit vulnerable.

Hopefully we will have Maestro reliable and sorted by then.

Post Sun May 07, 2006 1:48 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yes i hope to have either a big wrap around car tyre or some steel. i just remembered axecutioner today so ill have to divert some armour to the top lol. its odd how you must design differently in the lightweights... so many seperate weapons hah.

but anyway more weight reduction, its about 18.7kg without armour now so ive got about 7kg for armour which should do it i hope. im going to try for steel all over just to make it look REALLY mean Razz

ive gotten alot of weight out by reducing the frame size significantly and then made the front weapon support a little lower so its all working the same while weighing less. significantly so.

ive gotten quite alot of the smaller pieces marked out ready to cut next weekend or this thursday and hopefully ill get a lot more box section next dumpster diving session. only found a few little chunks Smile

oh yes and ill have to put in a self righting mechanism too, since i narrowed the frame size down its almost as tall as it is wide lol not good but weight is power Smile

Post Sat May 13, 2006 9:04 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

after a long period of umming and ahhhing about what to do with this robot (i had pretty massive problems with the weight and just how it looked in general) im fairly confident ive gotten something realistic down.

changes to the frame are very minimal. the batteries now sit down lower to keep the center of gravity down. seeing as tho the machine is extremely tall i figure anything could help. the scooter motors also sit down lower too to reduce weight on the motor mounts and it means the armour all over can be lower too.

and im thinking the sensible choice at this stage is to just change the scooter motors over to chain drive for many reasons. it lets me use my own choice of wheels, gear ratios and means i can move the scooters closer to the wheels Smile im going to use those 150mm wheels from bunnings, cause there cheap and i dont feel like buying $10 colsons from america everytime someone wants to tear them apart Razz

ahhh i modelled in a 3mm polycarb panel to sit over the victors in case anyone wants to develop some awesome axe bot to stick it in there, and theres a 3mm poly panel that bolts on for all the other electronic parts.

ah yeah and the lid at this stage is 3mm aluminium. pondering whether to make it out of 3mm poly or 3mm ali, i have the weight for the aluminium....

and the sides are 3mm steel

but here we go *hopes the images arent too wide*

im going to start building as of right now but making little parts here and there and just building it slowly. it seems theres a hell of alot of work in there lol.

Post Sun May 21, 2006 9:35 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

just a bit of an addition to that, i think ill use the IBC in this one now, its much easier to swap into the robot then the victors/imx1/rx batteries and i wont need an additional weapon switch.

btw what does everyone think is the best way to go about this? tack the frame together then mount everything and fully weld it or just fully weld it from the start?

Post Sun May 21, 2006 10:48 pm