www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

SEEDS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
supagenius

quote:
Originally posted by Philip Taylor:
You have mentioned two people in this thread, Houston and Pringle, and yet you say that it is more against evangelical churches than either of these guy's church. Glen clearly identified the subject as Hillsong.

Just to clear up one other point. The Church in the script is fictitious. It's not identified as Hillsong, Christian City or any other Church. Nor is the Pastor a real Pastor - or even a real Pasta.

I don't expect this to make any difference to the debate, but I thought it was worth establishing that everything and everyone in the script is fictional.

(Disclaimer: No churches, pastors, or pastas were harmed in the writing of this script.)

Post Sat May 06, 2006 6:12 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

you got somethin against pasta?
beware the wrath of the FSM, he shall visit destruction on you with his noodly appendage.
<pirate>Argh</pirate>

Post Sat May 06, 2006 8:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
supagenius

[quote="Philip Taylor"]

quote:
Originally posted by supagenius:
Dictionary definition of evangelical:http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=evangelical Of, relating to, or in accordance with the Christian gospel, especially one of the four gospel books of the New Testament. (more definitions are available at the above link) Does the fact that a church follow the Bible mean that they should be bashed?

Phil,

To answer some of the points in your 2nd last post:

1) "Evangelical" is a term often used to describe zealots and proselytisers. Indeed, the link you supplied also defines "evangelical" as "characterised by ardent or crusading enthusiam; zealot." This "crusading" quality is, I think, part of the reason the term "evangelical" has been applied to churches that fall generally under the Pentecostal movement founded by The Reverend Charles Parham & William Seymour. This is the definition of "evangelical" I have in mind when referring to the Church in the script as "Evangelical." As far as being a Church which follows the Bible, I would have thought that most churches do? Or am I mistaken - do you know of a Church which proclaims itself as Christian, yet rejects the Bible's teachings?

2) "There are probably thousands of people who attend these churches who would claim that these two guy's churches do nurture their inner life." I agree. Perhaps you missed the reference in my earlier post to a girl in the script who says the Church gives her certainty and her life meaning and purpose.

3) "You state these two guys quote the Bible on the subject of tithing. Aren't preachers supposed to quote the Bible? Should preachers only read half of the Bible?" Preachers can quote the Bible, Mickey Mouse or even Mein Kampf if they like. However, there is a certain phrase beloved by public figures. You might be familiar with it. It goes "I was quoted out of context." Given that the Bible - whichever half they read - was written thousands of years ago, in a different language, in a different society with different customs, in different circumstances, by people of a different culture, it seems a bit of a stretch to take a quote at random, apply it to whatever argument you're making, and then say "This is God's will. It's right there in the Bible.'

4) "You said that Hillsong's communion service was not magical or mysterious for you. I wonder if the thousands of other people attending had their consciousness moved to the spiritual side of life." See Point 2.

5) "Would you write a script that would bash Brett? He is successful. He is the first EO to hold an event in two states. After all "success is a wonderful panacea." To write about Brett or anyone/aything else, I would follow my usual procedure - I'd research the topic and decide if I was interested in writing about it. If I was, the nature of the script would depend on what I thought the story was.

6) "You are sure that these guys would not care about your script's sentiments. I challenge you to go to these men and to their extended families and explain what you would like to do and get their permission. Have the guts to face your victims."

Firstly, I wasn't aware that, in order to criticise someone or something, you had to ask their permission. When your posts say "Peter Beattie's been screwing us for years", did you face Peter Beattie and ask for permission to bash him? Second, as I have mentioned, the script is about a fictional Church with fictional characters. It's actually very difficult to ask permission from a fictional character. Third, we're back to semantics again. You have a fondness for emotive terms like "bashed" and "victims." You say "bashed," I say "criticise." I don't consider someone or something that I've criticised to be a "victim." Fourth, if someone who's been criticised doesn't like it, or feels they have been misrepresented, they have the right of reply. A large, prosperous Church usually doesn't have any difficulty in making its feelings known.

7) "This may be theory to you. You may see it as "a victimless crime like punching someone in the dark." More emotive terms. Somehow, I don't equate writing a script with an act of criminal assault.

Cool "This is my life." No, Phil, it's not. It's a script. It's not about you. It isn't based on you. It doesn't even mention you. To say that this script is all about you and your life, and that it somehow insults and affronts your existence, is the equivalent of me saying "How dare they make that movie called The Bank?! My dad worked in a Bank! " Twisted Evil

Post Sun May 07, 2006 9:27 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I wish to duck out of this whole debate. Ironically, I had a change of concious during communion on Sunday.

I had no right to judge you, supagenius. I am sorry.

Post Mon May 08, 2006 5:35 pm 
supagenius

You have no reason to be sorry. I never took anything you said personally. I enjoyed the debate. You're entitled to your point of view.

I forget who it was, but somebody once said "A worthy adversary, once reconciled, makes an even worthier friend." If we ever meet, I hope we can shake hands and enjoy watching the next bot fight together.

Besides, I don't think you've got much to worry about. I heard today that somebody at the AFC (Aussie Film Commission) read the script and hated it - so it's less likely than ever to get made.

Cheers,

Supagenius.

Post Mon May 08, 2006 8:47 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Ouch Sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon May 08, 2006 8:49 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

wow your right a nice damn debate XD

Post Mon May 08, 2006 10:43 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

if only it was a mass debate XD okay ill go and die now LOL

bah i say we make the thing anyway and flog it off to late nite television, or better yet make a very wierd series about robots where nothing is what it seems... Confused

Post Mon May 08, 2006 10:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
supagenius

Well, it ain't dead yet. And I like the idea of late night where nothing's what it seems.

Twisted Evil

Post Mon May 08, 2006 10:50 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
if only it was a mass debate XD okay ill go and die now LOL

Now you just need to post the Baby in a microwave joke now Glen and it's complete Laughing

Post Mon May 08, 2006 11:05 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

what colour does a baby turn in a microwa...... *gets smashed over the head with a bottle by brett* XD

Post Mon May 08, 2006 11:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

LMFAO Laughing

Glen Rose, only banned once since 2006 Cool

Post Mon May 08, 2006 11:11 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Producers knocked back Lord of the Rings and many other successful projects. Don't give up if this is your dream.

Post Tue May 09, 2006 5:52 am 
Waddy the phoenix

lol that baby in the microwave joke has me intregued now i wanna know what it is send it to me in a pm or email oh and btw i got another funny movie clip to send ya this one involves well theoretical incest and i say theoretical XD but the most outta this world thing about it is that it could happen (starts to sing: im my own grandpa lalalalala im my own grandpa lalalala etc etc and so forth)

Post Tue May 09, 2006 6:31 am 
supagenius

No-one's giving up. It takes years to get a movie made. The reader at the Aussie Film Comm's reaction's a bit like a boxer taking a jab in the opening exchanges. It's a notice that he's in for a tough fight, but there's still fifteen rounds to go.

Go Danny Green!

Post Tue May 09, 2006 9:28 am