Class : BeetleWeight
Chassis/Armour : Carbon fibre and UMHW, Ti armour on the sides
Weapon : Egg beater made from tool steel and driven by an AXI brushless motor
Drive : B62 series motors to 75mm wheels
Controller : Scorpion
Batteries : 2100mAh, 11.1V LiPo pack
Combat Record : tba
Last Event : tba

This is my first vertical spinner, modeled after my favourite beetleweight, 3PD. The chassis is made from thick sections of UMHW and 3mm carbon fibre sheet for strength and light weight. So far, it's well under weight and there is at least 400g for the weapon, which puts it up around the same hitting power as 3PD and the other top US vertical beetleweight spinners Very Happy. I plan to first get a model working to test the construction, then to get the final frame built and finally to finally use every remaining gram making the weapon.

The UMHW sides were made on the mill and incorporate mounts for both the drive motors and weapon motor. later on, there will be a number of vertical bulkheads to provide more strength and support for the internal parts. The battery goes at the rear, behind the motors to balance the weight and give better traction.

This is the POP so far: sides made, top 'n bottom made from lexan, Brushless motor ready for mounting and much work still to do...

Last edited by Nick on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:44 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Oh god this is what you were talking about Laughing Laughing Laughing
Eek
EDIT: Hmm looks like some good UHMW you got there, new or had it for a while? Able to spare any at all? I left the CBC bearing's email with a friend who promptly lost it Sad /EDIT

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:04 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Driver : Brett Paulin

Interesting....

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:16 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I bought this stuff earlier in the year and only just got around to using it - as usual, I got enough to make spare parts but not not much else.

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:18 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Driver : Brett Paulin

AHAH!!! its a conspiracy, i knew it Mad

i always thought an egg beater with an off center segment would be cool, kinda like a one tooth disk, let you spin it up twice as fast.

looking awesome

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:12 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

DOH! That should teach me to cut 'n paste somebody else's details Embarassed. The beater in this design is pretty standard, except that because it is shorter than most, I can make it extremely strong. When I make a test beater, I plan to start with around 20mm thick bar and mill just enough off to bring it down the weight limit. The other weight saving feature is not having a full length axle through the beater. I am pressing two short, thick axles into the beater arms, which will run in Oilite bearings. The bearings are pressed into the UMHW frame and are supported by some titanium sheet that should provide plenty of shock resistance.

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:19 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I can't to much to Chuck until pay day apart from find scraps to make the demo frame - finding a large chunk of steel for the beater is proving difficult.

I found out what Chuck wants to be when he grows up:

This 120lb BBIQ bot hasn't been in many events or won anything but it sure looks good! I started working out how I can turn Chuck into a featherweight design and it turns out I can re-use plenty of parts I have lying around. If Chuck turns out well, this design or something similar might become next year's featherweight for me...

I particularly like the beater design as it operates much like the one sided beater that Glen mentioned. If the teeth are made with more of an attack angle to cut into the opponent, then this could be a winning design.

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:19 pm 
andrew

hmm, i think nick kinda likes the egg beater design, just a hunch Very Happy

Yeah i remember that bot, from what the builder has revealed it did a good showing in main competition but they had computer issues with the IFI to discover they had weopon at only 30% power Very Happy

in the rumble when the cranked it up they were able to toss some crap around

One question though, IF down track u make egg beater bot main featherweight what will become of JOlt?

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:52 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I still have plans for Jolt - it's getting a new frame for the Annhilator and then probably evolving into an undercutter using all the same major parts. The main problem with Jolt right now is that it can't deal with low wedges and I figure that an undercutter and vertical spinner can.

I am a bit stuck for a motor to drive a featherweight beater; a short Mag is too big & heavy, while most smaller motors spin way too fast. What I want is a 3/4 size Mag and the best motor I can see is the Astroflight Cobalt 60 or 90:

Does anyone have better suggestions?

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:08 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

A window winder motor? Laughing

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:47 am 
andrew

i reckon if u go them small motors u can run the risk of burning them out as typhoon featherweight uses 2 to spin its 4kg shell and it burnt em out pretty pfte and i know ntertainment uses one to drive its beater and frequently burns em out

I reckon a shorty mag orsome other type of basic thermofan like maybe the one kang uses or something as its powerful as and cheap

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:04 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Typhoon Cadet used a single Astro cobalt 40 and burnt it out. Using a Cobalt 90 I reckon would be a awesome, considering they can run at 48v! Warrior SKF runs 4 x Cobalt 90's for drive and has plenty of push and shove for the size of bot.

Also, with the beater design, you won't need as much raw power like you do with a horizontal spinning bar, so why use a big heavy S28-150 when you can pwn people with the Cobalt 90 Wink

quote:
If Chuck turns out well, this design or something similar might become next year's featherweight for me...

That means you'll actually have to drive in a straight line to hit the opponent now Cool

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:37 am 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Does anyone have better suggestions?

How about my brushless axi ?

ffej.net

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

That's what I was thinking... Very Happy Come on Nick... you know you want it. Shocked

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:54 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I thought very hard about using a large brushless, but I am really not sure how they stand up to shock damage. The large spinning mass is only supported by a light aluminium frame and the bearings are quite small - I think I will wait for Jeff or some other brave soul to prove them in combat before I drop a small fortune on a brushless motor and controller. If the brushless motors can take the punishment, then they could revolutionise spinning weapon design.

It's good to know that some larger bots are using the Cobalt 90; it fits the design really well and the only concern is the reputation for Astroflights cracking magnets. I was planning to run it on around 28V and gear it down a fair bit so the beater has a really fast spin up. Like Arron said, the Mag is over powered and over weight for the job and I would rather put the weight into strong frame construction. I started off the design with 3/4" thick 2024 aluminium side rails Shocked

Driving in a straight line - its a new concept for me but perhaps I can practise with the beetleweight version? Laughing

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:58 pm