www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Australia Bot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Author    Thread
andrew

yeah and besides matches against spinners where spinners throw emselves around alot off him he cant really do much either.

i have not seen a match where he has controlled/ownd a match against another wedge or such, only good matches that its in is against like ground zero and such where ground zero launches itself around and sometimes a few feet in air off the sloped shell

still a cool looking robot though but i have not seen it be very effective against a design other than that of a spinner

I honestly think we just go karcus style or somewhat like goosfraba but in middle section a lifter arm can pop out so u scoop them up and a lifter arm pokes through the centre somewhat catching underneth and less chance of getting weoponry damamged this way

A design like some of my fav bots cuad the crusher and cuad the ahnialator, will need to search to find pics but there really cool setups

FOund links to designs, hope they work

http://www.battlebots.com/meet_the_robots3/meet_robot_specs.asp?id=864

http://www.battlebots.com/meet_the_robots3/meet_robot_specs.asp?id=652

Last edited by andrew on Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:06 pm 
leo-rcc

Mighty Mouse, Mini Mighty Mouse, and Velociripper in the UK are the same design and no one accused them ever of being boring because they are not.

Slamming yourself and opponents into the wall with tremendous force is always a nice way of getting the crowds attention if done well.

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:10 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Let's not forget Jeff Ferara's 'boring' wedge that won Robowars Brisbane Very Happy. It could ram the walls hard enough to move the arena.

Glen: if I send you the parts dimensions, do you want to have a go at wrapping a shell around them? If we post a few renders, it will help everyone come up with improvements.

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:35 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah if youve got any technical drawings of the parts or something thatll help. ive got cads for mini mags just need to do one up for the whyachi gearboxes (tho im sure you can get them for SW so might just need to convert them..)

might need one for the roboteq also.

about the bending im sure it would be easy to calculate if you where just bending a flat panel at 90 degrees, but this way it sort of has to be in a wierd way i guess youd say. youd need to set it on its 45 degree angle and then bend it like that whilst keeping the whole thing level. im not even sure if it can be done Confused

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

If it's a narrow strip under 60mm, then I might be able to bend it in my 'bar bender' with a custom jaw to get the wide radius. For thicker stuff, we could use a machined former and a hydraulic press - I was thinking of getting a cheap 30 ton version from Hare & Forbes. It would mean keeping the number of different angles down to a minium...

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:01 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

dont think we will be able to do that unless we have some stepped design where the bottom is angled and the top is straight. the mag gearboxes are 75mm tall standard..

then again we dont have to use that kind of angled shape. we could always find some pipe and use that. at least you get the curve and i personally think its a better shape then just a flat panel. if i where to use it would be to have it started at horizontal on the bottom then finish up at about a 60 degree or so angle so its fairly steeply angled at the top. giving me ideas for my robot now xD you can get some pretty insane pipe like that off plan f's drum.

this is the parts ive got cad wise. there wasnt enough info to fully cad the front of the gearboxes so thats just solid. interesting enough you have to take the fronts off the mini mags to fit them on. i thought that was rather cool. damn this cad is already huge lol it took about 20 minutes to render this.

how many batteries again lol.. theres 40 in this POP render. i think two parrallel packs of 3600s will be plenty. half pipes performance looked on the money perfect imho and it has the same setup with 6" wheels.

working out how much for a weapon i guess theres.

Batteries: 88 x 40 = 3520g
Gearboxes: 4080g
Roboteq: 1360g
Motors: 3440g

so thats about 12.4kg for the neccessities for that style of robot. twould be cool if you diverted about 4kg to a little spinner and then just hooned it across the arena into someone. would be rather cool

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

it might take 20 minutes to render because you have CADed the curves on the corners of the inside of the top of the cells foo ;-P
you need some low res models man.

Do all the work with the low res ones, then replace them with the high res ones for the big render.

with that mass it may be possible to double all that, 4wd ;->
now*that* would be a ram bot

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

possibly, but doesnt it look class Cool hehe only happens on the first render and if you save the model as small. works pretty fast these days.

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:47 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Laughing There's a spelling mistake on the Roboteq's label! Nice render, even if it did take 20 minutes.

I packed the batteries a bit further back and made two L shaped packs that went around the ends of the motor. That gives it room at the front for a weapon and a counterweight at the back to balance it. I rather like your packing though, it would work better as a wedge. Moving the controller forwards would help fit in the massive wiring.

I was planning to leave it two wheel drive and use the *special* wheel design. I put in two 28 cell packs to push the Mags along at a really good speed - the 2550 can handle it.

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:13 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The figures from EDTsim, given 10cm wheels and 2 x 28 cell packs:

Battery voltage: 35V
Stall current: 380A
Stall torque at axle: 100Nm
Stall pushing force: 2800N
Maximum Tractive force: 280N
Maximum tractive current 52A
Max Speed: 22Km/h
Peak power: 3100W
Run time 7:35 minutes

That is telling me the Batteries and ESC will not be overheating in normal conditions and we could even downsize the batteries a little. Substituting CP2400SCR cells gave the same figures and a 5 minute run time. Dropping back to one pack of CP3600 cells dropped the peak power and pushing force considerably and shortened run time to under 4 minutes.

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:29 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Triple post Smile

EDTsim predicts full acceleration to 22 Km/h in about 0.75 seconds; did someone say box rush?

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:41 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i can believe it, thinking about it i reckon it may be best to have everything in front of the wheels except for the motors in a design like that. the acceleration would be so savage with a setup like in the render that i think it would just throw the entire end up off the ground. 100nM of torque is fairly gigantic.

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:43 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

A slight variation on Glens layout:

28 sub-C cells arranged vertically in intercooled packs. The weight is a little more forward and the wheels are slightly closer together. The boxy frame outline is just for show; the real thing will be sloped & rounded. The wheels are 50mm wide and could go even wider.

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:54 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

What do people think of using two 36V DeWalt drill packs? Since we are using all the cells, we can just hack the packs with new power connectors, harden them with some extra padding and we are all done for a power source Very Happy. Two strings of A123 cells should only get warm with the figures calculated by EDTsim and we would save a heap of space & weight. We will have to get some dimensions on the packs to see how they will fit.

If we save weight here, we have more options on fitting a secondary weapon or even the flipper...

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:05 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i know the dimensions of each of the cells and theres ten in a pack so that should be hard to cad up.

im all for A123s, i like jakes idea of making a charger that just does each cell individually.

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:07 pm