Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

With larger emphasis on the Build and Fighting Cool

Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:04 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i think that generic rules. but in all cases house rules win.
some venues can allow flame, some cant. My house my rules.

EO for an open event should publish any differences they have to the "default" rule set.

how big are the differences between the rules anyway?

Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Max pressures for Hydraulics and pneumatics, max voltages that can be used without an electrical licence, removable link type and layout, tethers and locking pins......

All are there for safety. The problem is that things like max pressure and voltages depends of the laws of the country. An international rules set should make note of that. But things like links vs switches and wether locking pins are required on every moving part is what will need to be argued about.

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:50 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Should we shift this discussion to the "Rules, Safety, Administration" part of the forums.

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:24 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

The FRA seem to be on board with the weight changes.

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:41 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

To: Remote007 (3 of 53)

3528.3 in reply to 3528.1

I actually agree that there are too many weight classes.Which to drop? That's a bigger question. The RFL should NOT** recgnize the 6 lb mantis, that's for sure.Beyond that, I think the 150g shoudl go, and either feather or hobby should go. WHich? I dunno.Let's start with unification of weight classes with the FRA. Then way down the line dropping classes can be discussed. Edited 7/19/2006 2:37 am by JudgeDave

Options Reply

Not sure about this Judge Dave character. First the 15Kg idea where he didn’t seem to care which was which as far as Hobbies and Feathers. His rationalizing that he was doing it for the good of the sport and now he is suggesting getting rid of Feathers even though it is our most important class and second only to the heavies in the UK.
Confused

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:21 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

<Rant>

Actually, the feathers are more popular in the UK then the heavies. I honestly think Middleweights, Heavyweights and Super Heavyweight should be dropped. The costs involved with building, transporting, competiting and having arenas for them is just crazy

I think of the endless hours and thousands of dollars that Andrew and I put into Vertex... It was a serious waste of both resources... We have a 80% complete robot which we have no arena for and takes up heaps of space in the shed and is a pain in the ass to transport. Yeah it's cool to fire the IC motor up in it and play around with the weapon, but in the end, I think Andrew and myself bit off more then we could chew with trying a heavyweight.

We've had heaps more fun with featherweights and we've achieved some good results. We have 6 featherweights that have cost us about the same as Vertex in time and resources, but we've competed with them for over 3 years and have enjoyed the sucess and failure with them.

I just love the ease of picking up a featherweight and sitting it on the bench to work on it, so much easier then getting 4 people to help lift Vertex up onto the bench (If it even fits!) and then trying to work around it...

Lightweight's seem to still quite viable without too much trouble as well. They can cost a crap load more, but they can still be managed.

But hey, I don't think we should just kill those classes off, I know a lot of people have put a lot of work to competiting at that level, and I take my hat off to them. I think they are crazy, but each to their own. The classes will naturally evolve anyway, if people stop building in a certain class, then that class will die off.

</Rant>

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:43 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Sounds like someone might be empire-building to me.. Rolling Eyes

You see why I'm against any form of "central control", associations, clubs, authorities etc etc. they're all just "government" in another guise, and government is inherently inefficient and staffed by beauracratic ass-kissers whose only concern is to advance their career by saying whatever the bossman wants to hear whilst covering their butt.

Internationally agreed upon standards, sure.. half the world using one type of bolt and half using another is stupid.. but only if they *want* to change.

Announcements from on-high suggesting that popular classes should be "dropped" can go and perform proctological exams on themselves as far as I'm concerned.

If people want to build feathers, mantis's or ring-tail-possum classes and there are enough of them, then all they need is someone willing to be an EO for that class and its on. Compliance with *any* rules outside of those in effect at the place you want to compete is voluntary, not mandatory.

If someone from somewhere else tries to tell you what to do and how to do it, you are always free to go your own way if you dont like it, people will follow or not according to whether they like what you are doing.

Upping our original 12Kg limit to 13.6Kg didnt seem like a bad idea to me, and nearly everyone agreed so we did it. Dropping our most popular class sounds like a very stupid idea to me, so unless there is a good reason for doing so, *and* practically everyone (not just a majority) agrees, dont worry, RoboWars wont be.

I dont want to bag Judge Dave personally, since that quote could be out-of-context, forged or anything else, but *if* its true, its an example of why I argue against "central control" of any sort. Power Corrupts, Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

(p.s. I've been reading some annoying stuff elsewhere just prior to reading this, so my response might be a bit grumpy.. Wink )

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

http://forums.delphiforums.com/THERFL/messages/?msg=3528.1

Would of put the link up before but was not sure if it would work

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:27 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

At first I thought they were only talking about an american only change. That makes sense to me since they seem to be getting fewer builders.

But then I read this post:

quote:

Actually if this is all about "the good of the sport" and "thinking for the future" shouldn't we really be talking about standard weight classes *AND* reducing the total number of classes world wide at the same time to all the global events and organizations?
Dick,
If you play, it is better to win than lose.

I'd show you my reply to this post but I can't find it yet. I guess it'll show up in a few hours, right about when I get all the angery replies filling up my email.

**edit** I found it.

quote:
Sure. But you have one big problem with that idea.

Drop the Raptors (hobby weights) and you loose the support from Germans.

Drop the feather weights and you loose support from 70% of the british and europeans plus ALL of the Australians.

Drop the light weights and you loose support from the Koreans

Drop the middle weights and you loose support from the Brazilians

Drop the Heavy weights and you loose support from the rest of the British and Europeans.

So which of these countries do you want to piss off? I garentee we will all tell you to bugger off and forget the world stadard. Tone down weight classes in your own country. We all survive on 2 weight classes. We will unify our weights to be like the rest of the world, but you won't get a whole country to scrap their current robots for a new weight class just because the yanks told us to.

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:35 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

An email I got from Steve, the guy in charge over there.

quote:
You can ignore Dick, he likes to stir up trouble.
No-one is dropping any weight classes.Steve

Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:14 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

wtf is wrong with this guy? Confused

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:29 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by dyrodium:
wtf is wrong with this guy? Confused

There is nothing wrong with him. Its just that the topic isn't being understood.

The problem is the americans found they have 11 different weight classes but they are getting smaller numbers of enteries into them. So they are now trying to convince american builders to only focus on a few of the more popular weights classes. Even if they stop building completly in a few classes thoses weight classes will still exist. It won't effect us at all, they are just trying to have better compititions.

Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:26 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Ah ok.
Just seemed to be a lot of trouble sourced from him s'all. Sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:46 pm 
Grassy

I agree with bret. also its great to be noticed, as our community isnt hardly as big as the us + pommy scene

Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:40 pm