www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

IN MEMORY OF SCOOPY DOO
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Mel
Site Admin

IN MEMORY OF SCOOPY DOO

My neoteric thoughts on what l have left behind to inspire other Women to build and battle robots, have left me feeling somewhat agog to reconstruct
the history records of Scoopy Doo. My munificent nature along with some philosophical point discussions have led me here, to put back her defenestrated yet indelible history.

My apologies to those that the removal of her home page was so rebarbative. Special apologies also to Ms Scoopy Doo - my malfeasance has been noted and tuned.

Ergo the brobdingnagian amount of posts that will be forthcoming from my desk, are replicated posts of the past. For those that do not wish to re-visit this robots life, please hereby note that all 'new posts' in this thread over the next week or so, are actually not. Wink

lm hoping that all goes well with the following thread re-build, as l've heard that its a parlous kind of task. The re-issue of correct photgraphs to various rants is another challenge also, offered to assuage the otherwise sometimes loquacious posts. Exclamation Cheering also for Scoopy Doo's torpid state to improve. Perhaps she is just waiting for V2 to be built so she can sit back in her retirement and urge her clone to victory!.

Due to the time restraints for me today, (happy ones) please excuse my laconic or non reply's to various PM's. BNTW - l'll BRB. Idea

Love & Sunshine - Melxo

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:57 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Scoopy's Retirement Space

She's happy in her resting spot...but that cheeky I.G is still a mischief Wink

http://www.robowars.org/images/mels-pics/mybeautifulgiftcomp%20001%20copy.jpg
Scoopy & I.G - 2006

Scoopy Doo ~ Team Le Sheen ~ Victoria
December 2004

The initial build credits for Scoopy Doo go to Gary Stott ~ her internal wiring, gyro etc thanks to Brett Paulin.

Scoopy Doo was developed from the outset of the Australian robotic combat interests known as Robowars Australia way back in 2003. She's a prototype 1 with barely a scratch to show for her many battles and this is due to a few things worth mentioning. For starters, she's a mixture of many incredible people.

They know who they are ~ so thankyou. Wink

She is also rebuilt with much passion after each event - however, thanks to her most ingenious design - she doesn't require much re-building. A few new panels here.. an upgrade of a few new batteries there... and along with a few twists and turns of the old screwdriver, she's back up and running. Sheesh! even a girl could do it.

Initially, Scoopy was designed with a twin bladed weapon - but has since been refined to a single blade operation. She just doesn't need the power of the twin thing to disable her opponent. Only an operator perhaps with more advanced skills than l am currently affording her. This l can assure you however, is something that l am most avidly working on - and am sure some have noticed Cool

l am most appreciative to be involved with so many other dedicated persons hell bent on the testosterone outpouring! This is some 'serious' fun.

Currently ranked:
3rd - Latest Vic State Event.
12th - Nationally.

To those of you who don't yet know me - Hi lm Mel. l own and operate Scoopy Doo. She's fast becoming quite a feared bot here in Melb and lm hoping that thats due to my upgrade in being able to control this mini metal beasty of mine. Team Le Sheen is currently myself and my daughter Annie. She's a fantastic assist and her appreciation for hard metal and electronics just amazes me.

Welcome to Team Le Sheen's report page - to let you know whats happening in the 'girl view' of this robotics arena.

Melxo

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:25 pm; edited 7 times in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:56 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Should l do it?
December 2004

Should there be any she things out there that might like to have a go, there are a few good things to have on hand when getting started in this metallic arena:

1/ A great bloke by your side: who knows a bit about electronics and a bit about wiring and a bit about teaming up. This can be any guy you love in whatever capacity. Your brother - father - lover or even neighbour or lovers friend. Why a bloke? - well, they are great at many things girls and hard metal and electronics are but two of them!. (besides, l can't find many gals at it).

2/ A love of hard things in your hands. The love of that dish cloth will just have to wait. And besides, it's a soggy thing anyway - time to let it go girls.

3/ An appreciation for those little cities that reside upon wiring boards. No really! - let me show you. ( pic coming soon) Wink

4/ To get past the 'guy thing' . Because they don't talk much at fight events - or do they?

5/ Be prepared to learn your nails wont last.

What does a girl love more than 30pairs of shoes? why, 3 gorgeously decorated hammers of course!

pic credit: www.giftedbaskets.com

Mel
xo

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:34 pm; edited 4 times in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:02 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Damage Report

Sometime in 2005

Outerlimits - Vic 2005

Rear arm damage during this event. The minor bend in it after one of her bouts, raised enough concerns for it to be replaced in the pitts prior to going on. The tray was a bit frayed due to the try hard getaways of the other bots during her five bouts of combat. The last minute replacement of her weapon was a great idea - thanks to whoever suggested it! Wink
She's pretty well a ok otherwise and lm mighty proud of her performance.

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:36 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:20 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Girl tech talk

Sometime in 2005

When Scoopy first started with her fighting career, two things - well, no three actually ( but we wont discuss her drivers capabilities now) were of greatest concern to me. The first of these things being the radio transmitter and the second being her battery power capabilities.

Thanks to a very wise and nosey fellow Wink a much better control unit was found and poof! my radio control problems were over. With a Futaba 7 cap radio transmitter, the chatter between my controls 'outside' an arena and Scoopy 'inside' an arena, is just amazingly interference free. This fantastic little black box has cleared away whats known as 'interference'. The stuff that floats around any given area (whether permitted to do so or not) - that interferes with other stuff that floats around also. Radio waves girls! the air is full of them. As to 'how' it exactly does this, lm not sure. Don't really care either because one can't concern oneself with EVERYTHING. But now that l have it, theres no excuse for the way Scoopy drives ( or not !) anymore.''

Normally, most little black boxes that bot fighters use, have three to four channels in them. Scoopy requires four channels for effective operation by the way - two for the drive motors - yep you guessed it! back and forward - one for the 'arm' that directs her blade and one for the blade (weapon) itself. These four channels that are required, is what makes Scoopy a bit harder to control than most other bots - as with them, only two to three channels is about the most thats required.

Gone are the days of frustration when my fingers just couldn't do the talking and Scoopy failed to respond to my orders. Gone also are my ignorant comments to my buddy that "this stupid thing wont work". Mildly unladylike words were known also to issue forth from my mouth during those days and this unfortunately, was captured on video - but, (in the famous words sung by Mr Bob Dylan) - The times they are a changing.....

In regard to my second greatest concern: Scoopy now operates with a drive capacity consisting of a 2400 MAH NiCad pack that has ten cells in all - soldered, packed and connected with precision and 2x 3300 Nimh - 12 volt packs that power the 'arm' and 'blade'. With power such as this, she can now outrun many.

With modifications to the new 'little black box', Scoopy's weapon is now powered by the flick of a switch at the start of any fight and along with her almost unbeatable staying power due to the great batteries - my very two first concerns - are now gone.

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:20 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:29 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Battery Options

Current

Seperate battery packs are used to ensure that in case of failure of one pack, due to a stall or short circuit from overload - ( or other '') Scoopy can remain at least operational in some capacity. Should her weapon or arm batteries fail for example - she would still have at least 'driving' power. And vise versa.

The NiCad x1 pack ( 12 volts) was chosen for her drive - due to them being able to supply high peaks of power - for fairly short duration bursts. The NiMH x2 packs (24 volts) was chosen for her weapon - due to them being able to supply lower power peaks but for more 'continuous' operations.

Scoopy's weapon is powered up when the fight begins and stays that way until it's over and so the NiMH's are used here. Her drive power needs to peak higher - though not for so long, as she's not driving 'constantly' and so here, the NiCad's are used. (see gyro diagram this page)

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:36 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:35 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Bring back Le Scoopy! Cool

But seriously, I think you should bring Scoopy back Mel. Maybe just for demonstation purposes for now and to make up the numbers in the local VIC comps. But considering Scoopy has been around since the beginning on Aussie combat robots, I think you should look at taking all the knowledge you've gained from the experience, take a step back, work out where you can improve the design and make a hell of a big comeback with a MKII...

Scoopy has barely changed in the last 4 years... Some of us have gone through 5 or 6 designs and rebuilds in that time... So to have stayed so competative in an ever evolving sport like this, you did a hell of a good job! You've cause a hell of a lot of damage and brown moments to your opponents with just a pair of XU1 drill motors, a folding chair chassis and a over volted fan motor.... Imagine if you stepped up and became serious Shocked

Combat robots isn't a sport, it's a lifestyle Wink

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:35 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Builder

Sometime in 2004

Inspiration

Builders of robotics are inspired for many a reason. For me, the inspiration began in the 1950's. l wasn't there at the time but the romanticism certainly was - and whilst Scoopy Doo isn't exactly what one would call 'romantic' - our relationship certainly is. Shocked

Maria - was the name of the very first 'all she bot'. Created by the mad and zany Dr Rotwang. A part of her can be seen at the left of each of my posts.

From times such as this to the present day - things have changed somwhat. 'Slowed down' would have to be an understatemant!. Where are all the maria's now?

Creations such as Maria - 1950's art work - The extremes of dangers and the interconnectedness of hard metal and soft skin, are what have inspired my relationship with my metal beasty. Whilst women and robotics is not something that is generally connected in today's world - l can assure you - they are. And have been all through the ages. The link below takes you to some very funny past decades of artwork that relate the metal to the feminine.

http://davidszondy.com/future/robot/metropolis.htm
This page is about the extended story of Maria - however the menu to the left of it will take you to the various visual artistic works.

Mel
xo

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:46 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Balancing Act

Sometime in 2005

Balancing the Bot

Whilst Scoopy may at times, look to be top heavy and that a balance problem exists - there in fact isn't one. The odd ocassion that may see her start to do back-bends, is due to driver control problems - (namely me).

The weapon arm needn't and indeed shouldn't be, driven any further backwards than approx 93 degrees or thereabouts - and this she can handle with no problems. Take her past that though and over she starts to go due to the (heavy) motor positioning.

Adrenelin rushes infused with the shakes causes her driver to sometimes fail to notice the degree of the arm and an overbalance occurs. Ideas to address this? - Driver training!

Positioning the drive motor lower down along the arm may also help, but the engineering challenges that would then exist, ie drive belt required and etc - would invalidate the effort.

Melxo

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:07 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Gyroscope Overview

Sometime late 2005

Scoopy's Gyroscope: Assists the 'drive control' - correcting unintended movements. Confused

This very small (approx 3cm cubed) box is wired along the steering channel between the radio control unit and the IBC (which is connected to the drive motors).

When in battle, should one of my wheels leave the ground for any reason and return to offset the direction in which Scoopy was moving - the gyro kicks in - (recognising that this alteration has not come from the radio itself) and signals the 'other drive' to compensate for this difference by either slowing down or revving itself up. And this helps the driver how much? Very much.
Scoopy's (tray) design allows for alot of directional interferance to hit and so the gyroscope is a winner here.

Between the events that saw Scoopy go from having no gyro to being fitted with one - her performance improved dramatically. No radio control practice was done by me during this period and so credit the much improved directional drive to the gyro fitting.

For this bot, the slightest change in direction can mean the difference between the weapon gouging the floor or shredding the internals of the other bot - and you can guess which one would impress me more Cool

Whilst gyro's take massive tweaking for 'invertible' bots, they take less for 'non-invertable' ones and are well worth the effort when speaking in terms of 'precision'.

Melxo

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:14 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Integrated Bot Controller

Sometime in 2006

IBCX's - IBC's

Scoopy operates with multiple IBC units due to her usage of four to five drive control channels. Not because she needs to, but because she always has.

Having started out with a 1x prototype IBCX - (pre IBC's) which had five (5) channels available, Scoopy has always enjoyed the opportunity to increase her drive control to not only each wheel, but to her arm and blade also.

The decision to replace the IBCX with 2xIBC's was to ensure that she was going into battle with replacable parts. (which is always a fantastic idea) Its all good and well to have an original prototype to add to the uniqueness of a thing, but bad in a sense that when its out - your out. To decrease the channel numbers available when replaceing the IBCX, and only install 1x IBC would have been noted ( by scoopy) as a downgrade. Crying or Very sad

When one can, one does. Call it luck or call it love - Scoopy has.

Melxo

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:19 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Blade Blister

Sometime 2005

If she can sell sea shells by the sea shore, then a wood saw could saw metal and more. Rolling Eyes

Well, a carbide tipped one could anyway. And thats what Scoopy has - a wood saw with carbide teeth designed to gnash into metal, wood or otherwise. Both Victorian arena's can testify to her love of wood and how easily she can modify it's 'oneness', just as most other bots she has fought can testify to her love and modifications of metal.

The carbide tips can get destroyed (knocked off) quite easily over the course of any one event, (consisting of five to six rounds of battle) but the damage done is worth the loss - with the life span of Scoopy's average blade lasting two to three events. Of the forty tips on the last blade for example - after just one event, she has lost only about six of the tips.

The low costs of these blades combined with the fact that they dont have to be replaced all that often and do such a smashing job - is very much appreciated. (still, a sponsor would have been nice!) The fact that they don't shatter when impacted sideways is also a major bonus as Scoopy's victims often try to manouver left and right for escape.

Melxo

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:25 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Carbide Curve Count

It would have to be all about the speed with which it is applied.

Blades, (as with all else) will survive according to the speed at which they impact and the nature of the things being impacted. Just ask any molecule Wink .

Scoopy's blade, spins on a drive controlled arm and the speed at which it enters the opponent is varied according to the drivers guess at whats best and lowering, then usually raising the arm/blade before lowering it again. This allows for multiple hits to the one place and indoing so, weaken the nature of impact, whilst in turn preserving the strength of itself.

Why would l want to weaken the nature of impact when its all about the strength of them? - well, a good fist fight proves more interesting than a quick bullet in the head.

It also allows on occasion, the opponent time to move, in which case there is no further progress on that particular cut and another fresh one has to be started if possible, but this is also good as it adds to the visual surface damage.

The quality of the blade will also have alot to do with the strength of and adherance to these carbide tips.

Mel xox

Last edited by Mel on Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:36 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Junkyard @ Rye

Sometime 2006

With the next event looming so close on the horizon, Scoopy's getting a bit nervy looking there on the loungeroom floor. She's been umming and arrring at the visitors as they come and go and not sure what her drivers up to with all those long screwdrivers in hand and boxes being carried through to the new bot room.

Minor modifications are currently being made to her that will see her upgrade to resist being flipped and battery compartment secured with a hinged guard and rubber mounting around her arm. With an extra Futaba radio now in hand, Scoopy has her own dedicated controls ( co-boteers in the pits area will be glad to know) that will add to the security and safety of her operations at future events.

Disembling a drill for its motor proved a pleasent hour's worth tonight and the good news is that the next one will only take ten minutes.

A fantastic find also, is that if one does this sort of thing inbetween say, the dishes, then ones hands are ready to go without a major wash down at the end having to be the case...(not too sure how the dishes will dry though, with an extra oil layer added this way but l'll soon find out whether or not the process should be repeated and let you know before you try it.) Cool

Melxox

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:42 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Tyre Treaties

Sometime in 2006

Protecting Scoopys rear arm against the onslaughts of other bots could be dealt with in multiple ways, but the tyre trick is the one that l have chosen at this point.

So, out with the little hack saw (who needs a spare tyre anyway when you have lashes such as l do Very Happy ) and onto the hacking. Just a curvy bit required and the rest can be used as er...um...a tyre swing, yep. A bit of glue here and a bit of glue there and Bob's your uncle!

No?..... NO. Cutting tyres is not that easy. Unless of course you love black billowing smoke, love melty bits of rubber sticking to your skin whilst it cools down, have an angle grinder handy and hate your neighbours. Oh and the glue thing wont work either. Sheesh! whats a girl to do.

Well, under these circumstances - a manicure of course and then push a few little buttons to utilise the 'phone a friend' option. No matter where one goes these days, if you look hard enough, you will find that someone else has most probably been there before also. l'm glad to report that my curvy bit of tyre is available with a pro friend of mine who has discovered the messyness of it all in the development of his own robots and just happens to have what l need.

See! the manicure really worked. Wink

Melxox

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:48 pm