www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

IN MEMORY OF SCOOPY DOO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Mel
Site Admin

Screwed threads

The screw thread for Scoopy's arm was from an electric seat actuator.

This was then 'housed' in a 2cm x 2cm square tube, (see blue steel tubing) with the 'nut' connected to a 3 bar linkage design that allows the leverage ratio to magnify the limited screw travel, into sufficient movement to cover the actual distance the arm requires.

Melxox

Last edited by Mel on Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:48 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:53 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Weali?

5 Days before RW2

After having a giggle at a pro competitors wheel falling off, one of Scoopy's did the same. Oh the shame of a rogue wheel.... Scoopy's latest little fix involved some 'not so little' engineering by Gary.

The top wheel shows the flat nipple look Scoopy used to have, with loc-tite to stay on. Second image is the drive motor end with it's new 'bolt' screwed onto the shaft. This bolt was drilled out through its centre and tapped to suit the drill output shaft. The wheels are drilled out and tapped to match the bolt. Once the wheel is on, the adapter is secured with a reverse locking screw, the wheel with a grub-screw-locked nut, and all parts are liberally dabbed with more loc-tite!

Scoopy now sports a new nipple erectus look for her wheels !

Thanks for your dedication Gary. And thankyou for your assistance with the upgrade Brett.

Melxox

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:00 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Flippers

Sometime in 2006

Flipping Loses

Upgrades for Scoopy today included: Better battery housing by way of a polycarbonate hinged lid and Self righting capabilities to stop those nasty flippers.

Scoopy can no longer be beaten by being flipped on her side or even upside down ! To date, the main reason for any loses she has suffered, is due to being either flipped or getting her teeth stuck in things such as the floor or wall. These two reasons have now been reduced to only one, so she's ready to ROCK big time.

Other than looking like she's ready to fly , she loves her new bat wings!. Cool

Melxox

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:05 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Make-up

July 24th 2005

Cosmetics was the all important task for today for Scoopy, as well as some driving practice. Her little 'gold nailpolish' job on the weld points for the battery housing look fabulous, and with the 'metallic blue' job for the contrasting finish, she's as gorgeous as can be.

Something tells me lm up against Inspector General the day after tomorrow. It's been a free run till now and lm just not sure that my luck will hold. Event after event has passed, yet not once have l drawn against him for battle - very weird! Wink

With only 1 day left till the Vics battle it out - l would like to take this opportunity to thank all the roboteers from around the country, for their support. RoboWars events at Sidetracked here in Vic, take approx 7-8 staff members to run, up to $1500.00 in costs and 3-5 days in organisation, to put on. A big pat on the back to all of you who have donated your time one way or the other and to all the rest, l can only hope that you have your bot ready for battle when the time comes.

Thankyou to the Kerro brothers for the permission to use one of their cad design drawings for this events pit passes also.

Mel
xo

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:08 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Round 3 Vic

Round three saw damage to one of Scoopy's IBC's and l am still trying to figure out exactly what and why it's happened. Fight 1 with I.G saw batteries come lose and the connected wires suffer exposure to their core. This cost her the fight, and then silly me did a sticky tape job to cover them and simply tucked them backed into their housing. A quick test of the drive control - (but not the weapon) and Mel thought Bob was her uncle!

Now exactly why the driver of Battle Damage was running late to this event and didn't have an active weapon on his bot, was unbeknowns to me at the time, but, l can sure be happy that he was indeed late and unweaponed, for this was the fight (2)where l discovered that l had no weapon or arm control either. Thanks to Jason's late night with the boys, Scoopy won this battle through a persistant bash match and having a dead (weapon) IBC didn't really matter all that much in the end.

A spare IBC for the weapon was installed after this match, and Scoopy was ready for Pinscher! This match was one for the giggle book and will be remembered for a long time to come - (see video upload in relevent event thread). How does the song go? 'victory' 'victory' the winning....... Rolling Eyes

Onto battle with Minimower!!! last years champ - and not one of Scoopy's favourites. She fought hard here and the points must have been so very close, lm just glad l wasn't one of the judges! - but she scraped through nonetheless. l think all the hard driving prac paid of here.

Ballistic just had to be in the lineup didn't he! Hasn't he retired YET??? Aw well, was a good chance to see Scoopy's self righting do its thing and she managed to stay active till the end of the match and lost by only a few points thanks to one of the judges, as the other two judges were tied on their decisions. So, all in all, she did a whole lot better than she usually does with this mighty opponant!.

Just had word that scoopy will be arriving in about an hours time with her new colours!! Much thanks to Lou and her airbrushing talents! l hope Scoopy is feeling much better now after Round 3 and she will be enjoying her relax day at the Technikunst Festival tomorrow, very muchly Cool

Melxox

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:15 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Technikunst

Remind me

Technikunst was an experience that will be remembered for it's 'huh?-ness'. Shocked

The collection of Bots looked amazing under the coloured spotties and Scoopy enjoyed the day very much Cool Two thirds of the entire display, belonged to Team Rotwang! Thanks to David for his double bot contributions and to Brett for organising the day.

Tune in to Triple J @ 10.15pm tonight to hear a chat on RoboWars Aust.

http://www.robowars.org/images/mels-pics/jjj-saffran-interview%20(1).mp3

Last edited by Mel on Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:54 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:20 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Fans

Hi Mel,
My name is Lisa and I just have to say that I am such a huge fan of yours and Robo Wars in general! You may not realise this, but as the only woman in Australia who competes in robot combat, you are such a powerful and courageous role model to other women and young girls who want to make their mark in a mostly male arena.

I'm undertaking my final year at Deakin university doing a Bachelor of Contemporary Arts - Media Arts and I am extremely interested in making my major documentary film focusing on you in the world of 'boys toys'.
All us girls at Deakin think you rock! I mentioned to my lecturer the possibility of making a doco on Robo Wars and focusing on the lone woman in the sport in Australia and she took to the idea immediately.

So I hope I can meet you soon to discuss more ideas and times to film you because there's such a vast story in this sub-culture of Robo Wars, and especially on its only female competitor.

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:58 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Scoopy Doo - The Movie

Sometime in 2006

The last two months have been a most enlightening and fun time with the Deakin Doco Dames Scoopy's now waiting for an offer from MGM, but l told her not to hold her breath and just be happy that she's the best looking bot in Victoria who has a Deakin University Documentary to her credit. It's not just about Scoopy Doo of course, but we wont tell her that because it'll break her little carbide tips for sure.... Mad

Lisa, Kate and Stacey have been wonderful to work with and getting to know them has been a pleasure! l have tried my best to inspire them to build bots of their own....so who knows....we may soon have even more gals here in Vic to stir the boyz along. Wink

Congratulations Girls!

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:00 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

A poem by Mel

Sometime in 2006

Scoopy And l

Sometimes when lm wondering why my robotic pal is around me
l look to her blade of 3ml grade and a tray that scrapes to pound thee
The rush of blood that floods my head and sends my fingers twitching
is one of a battle with an opponent's metal and some gaffa for the stitching
Looking at her body paint in the colours that adorn her
she brings to me the essence of a very loving daughter
Of the parts of her l cannot fix, lm very glad of friends for
but of those l can l do insist, for my focus is only for her.

With the talent to strike a painful cut and slice aerials that go flying
give truth to stories that tell of some who meet and go home crying
With batteries as her favorite things, as is chewing up the tables
these crazy bots in tinkers homes are somehow much unstable!

We battle for the winner's pog, we battle for the learning
a test of heart in skill and art with others for the yearning.

Scoopy is an Aussie bot, online for all to see
and building on the bi roads of her RoboWars degree.
Costing her doesn't matter, braining it all the way,
she and l together will win the fight one day.

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:03 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Nationals

Well thankgoodness an event has finally been announced here in Victoria because Scoopy Doo was just about to offer her services to the local timber yard and be done with it. Idea

With the state V's state draw first up, Scoopy is concerned with drawing the very vicious 'Jolt' or 'Scarifier' for her first fight. (It's always a good thing to size up one's very worst possible opponent and modify accordingly) So, the word here is rubber rubber and more rubber. Oh and some backup nailpolish for any nasty little scratches.

l would like to vote that the judges at this years RoboWars event be three girls of my chosing or at least three men who like purple artified overhead saw bots. Wink

Having a PC type robot (one that has been built with the ingenuity of many talents) as opposed to a Mac type bot ( from the solo designer) has made me realise that 'trust' plays a bigger part in the win. The more people that are involved in a robots success, the more one needs to extend that trust. Still, regardless of what type of robot one has (PC or Mac) - the responsibility for its win or loss comes down to the drivers ability and their choices along the way.

Scoopy Doo's ability to self right during a battle now is a bonus, though it's a fairly slow process and allows too much time for the other robot to recharge. This was painfully obvious at the last state event here in Vic - when battling Ballistic. P.S - if Ballistic is entered for this next event, Scoopy advises that she does not like being swung about like a wet sock regardless of it being a crowd favourite thing to do!

We would like to wish all competitors 'best of luck' at this National event, however, 'three' is our favourite number and we have decided that it would be a good time to take home the trophy! Twisted Evil

ROCK ON ROBOWARS 111

Melxox

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:06 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Final things

Scoopy's last upgrade is happening now. The weight difference with the modified bits on board is only 30 or so gms, so theres plenty of weight spare for the rubber skirts to go on.

Her three and a half years of battle has seen much in the improvement of competitors talents. We would like to thank everyone who has been involved in her evolution - or was she only created on the seventh day? l can't remeber now, it's been awhile... Laughing

Thankyou to all the PMrs who have enquired about myself and Scoopy - we hope this thread/report is of value! Wink

Mel
xo

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:18 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Rave & Deacon Uni

Well it seems as though Scoopy Doo has a dedicated following Cool - so ok, just one more update then before the January event here in Victoria.

With 1 kg to spare for more protective armor, the rubber cut to suit/size and secret tail gate Ms Doo is now sporting, will do the job just nicely. Her new weld-sprung snap shutting battery housing was a master fluke of efforts and will see her free of the usual gaffa wrap panic that has plagued her readiness and performance at past events. A spare weapon arm is in the bag as usual and the three battery packs have been re-covered so there is no chance of a shorting if they come into contact with the front metal housing.

As of this moment, l am guessing that l have approx 2 more hours work to do on her and she will be ready to rumble with 'all previously known weaknesses' addressed.
Other than that, the only thing left to concern myself with is what colour l should paint the tray and whether or not to write 'mumma's coming' on the blade in dripping rust.

With a practise run booked for tomorrow and Triple M by my side...l can only say that the buddish gods must be smiling on me. Cool

l feel so honoured to be battling with so many other creative designs - but l do have one word of warning to those who might want to scratch Scoopy's paint and that is...that the artist who designed and painted it, is a six foot sweedish amazon (no joke) and may in fact be at the event.

My Deakin Doco Dames will be with us once again to do some more camera work for Part 2 of their filming endeavour, so if you have something nice to say about the sport and wish for it to be recorded into history...then say away!. l look forward to seeing the documentary for the very first time - hopefully this Saturday night when day1 of the battles is over. And sincerely thank Lisa Blumenstein and co for their dedication to Robowars Australia. Many thanks also, to Jaycar for their flyer support in the build up to this event.

The fact that Scoopy is now fairly well battle ready, leaves me with more time for strategic planning and national robotic gossip sessions - which may, or may not, unveil some priceless information - who knows?

Feel free to write your 'Go Scoopy Go' banners and yell as loudly as l do!

Melxox

Last edited by Mel on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:29 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Test Drive

Sometime in 2006

Today's test drive with the Triple M radio crew was great in more ways than one.

l got to promote RW111 live to air. [Ahh...this brings back memories of my radio days at 3MDR] Thanks Triple M!!! We love you

Scoopy lost one of her drives during the test run and l was horrified! How could the newly installed and modified drive - pack up within 5 minutes?
So it was off to the workshop to see what was up.

One of the announcers having a drive!

The blue writing on the pic says: 'l killed it', signed the M Team.

No, he didn't kill Scoopy! - l did. The drive motor was put in upside down and subsequently the hose clamps slid off and left the motor spinning, taking the attached wiring into an unwanted tango. Wires were stripped bare. So...the motor now has to be re-wired. This wont take too long to fix (yeah right). Confused

l am so glad that it happened today and not three days from now. lm not sure my temper would have held out if l had lost a fight over such a stupid mistake. The energy and effort that goes into building our robots is enough to make a grownup cry when it fails. l could have learnt this lesson the hard way - (as l did when l lost my battery packs due to lack of attention) but as it is, l at least can be grateful that it wasn't so bad and was discovered during a TEST DRIVE.

Melxox

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:35 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

4th place

Very Happy l think the cheesy grin says it all.

What an awesome event. Scoopy did so well and if it wasn't for a dead motor at the start of one of her fights....would have done even better.

The four most used words at these events are typically: "if only l had..." Evil or Very Mad

And if you thought females were the best gender at having sooks and moody sulks - you need to attend the pit area of a RoboWars event! Embarassed There were two notable major sookies, both very pathetic. Whilst l sympathise with other boteers who suffer a loss for one reason or another - it happens to us all at some time and is where we do most of our learning. To be upset is one thing - but to mope around putting out negative energies in a deliberate fashion is just pure BAD sportsmanship. Zero points for these two babies If you can't handle a loss or robot problems without acting like you belong in kindergarten - stay at home next time and keep your bad moods to yourself!

Congratulations on 4th place my dearest Scoopy...

Melxo

Last edited by Mel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:41 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

True Warriors

A long lived warrior seeks rightly, a balanced combination of skills and talents to lead them into battle and, as circumstances would have it... out of battle also. When one allows a passive, negative anger (as in a sulky mood or mode of conduct ) to dominate their moment to moment, they are out of balance - regarding the 'right combination'. And this is not, the state of a true warrior. l am involved in this sport to broaden and enlighten my neural transmitters with mechanical and combat skills. At this weekends event - l was privvy to see how one may lose their warriorship outside of the arena, and it reminded me of how 'not to behave'. So for this, l thank them. Razz

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:44 pm