( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:21 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

worst case use dish washing liquid
does a pretty good job (neat)
though you may want to use some sort of moisturiser afterwards or your hands go all powdery.

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Damien (not Damian)

Luckily, I found a nut that perfectly fits my bike shaft. There was another nut that made the length of the shaft too long. It was stuck in tight, so I sawed the part which had the nut on. Then I put the non-sawed end of the shaft into a AC drill's chuck to screw the shaft into the red wheel and put the bearing thing and the nut. One end of the shaft I tried to saw still had a 1mm notch in it, which made the nut nice and tight so I had no need of glue to put the shaft into the frame. I also figured out how I could stuff the components into the robot. There were two spaces between the wheels where I could fit 12 drill cells each for the drive. There's also a space between the motors where I guess I could fit a receiver. I can fit the IBC on a wall of the frame since the frame will be 6.6 cm high once I put the other bars back on and the top 3mm aluminum plate.

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:19 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Nice. Need pics! Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:09 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

I've made a way to connect the frame together, attach the top armor AND connect to the baseplate without welding, which is to stack the bars as usual, then on each side, drill through the bars and the plate and run a bolt though the entire thing with a nut on the other side. I've started drilling the holes on the left side of the robot. I've also started to think about the drill motor mounts. I've got two hose clamps at the local Trash n' Treasure to test my plan. Since the gearbox and motor elvelate off the base slightly, I'm using some of my spare aluminum to make four raised parts of the base (two for each drill). The parts where the motor are will raise 6mm (total thickness of 9mm including base) and the parts where the gearbox are will be raised 3mm (total thinckness of 6mm).

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:38 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

Can anyone tell me one car model (Stick to common cars, not brands like Maclaren) that uses a motor to power the fan? The diameter, shaft length, shaft diameter and length would also be appreciated. Also, do the pulleys on the crankshaft of the engine fit on the fan motor shaft?
I need an answer to the first question before Saturday (which is when I'm getting the fan motor).

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:16 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol next to every water cooled car has a radiator fan motor. pretty well every one is different in all aspects... size, weight power shaft size and what not.

and youll find most car engines have a chain instead of a belt on the crankshaft (at least thats the impression ive gotten at PnP lol..) and i doubt they would fit as motor shafts are around the 8mm or so region where as the sprockets pulleys would probably be 12mm and up.

what type do you need? pancake motor or a normal type of one.. motor with a shaft motor with a spinning plate???

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Damien (not Damian)

I think I'll use the normal type...unless pancake has something to offer? Also, at Federation square they were displaying Ford Cobras which had timing pulleys and belts on them, not chains. So can anyone name at least one common car with the normal type of fan motor?

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:07 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

One of the Ford AU models have a Bosch (EV style) thermo fan in them. Nissan Pintara/R31 Skyline have Nichi Ra motors like Glen uses. TR Magna's have the little pancake motors.

My S13 has a timing belt instead of a timing chain. The problem with trying to use a car timing belt and pullies is that the timing belt is huge... probably 1.5m long and the pullies are also big. The timing pulleys on my S13 are around 5inch in diameter and 1inch wide on the Cams and the crank timing pulley is about 3 inch maybe 4 inch.

Your probably best off looking at salvaging bike sprockets and chain from the local recycle or PNP.

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:04 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

@glen: some cars have fans that run off the engine, a friend of mine did and it was really pretty dumb, when does the car need the fan most? when its idling, whens the engine (and hence the fan) going the slowest? its probably fine when the thing is new but when its a bit old and not quite so clean on the inside....
(it was on a clutch so it didn't run all the time)

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Clutch fan powered by the motor is all you need at idle... Just like laptops don't have there fans going flat out all the time...

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:39 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

I've just finished mounting the back drive motor with hose clamps and 3 aluminum plates. Four slits were cut into the baseplate for the hose clamps to run through to the side of the gearbox and motor so it can connect with the other half of the clamp. I'm getting more hose clamps (I only got two at the Trash n' Treasure so I can test my idea of putting the aluminum plates below the motor.) on Saturday along with the fan motor (Maybe not the fan motor, as Channel Ten says it's going to rain).

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:36 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

Glen, could you please post a picture of the Nichi-Ra style motor Aaron said you use? I haven't got a clue of what it looks like.
@Aaron: What does TR stand for, I've never heard of this brand of car. A picture could be helpful, too.

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:04 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

[img]http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=591[/img]

Nichi ra fan motor

TR magna

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Damien (not Damian)

Ohhh.. so my brother was right about it being a mistubishi Shocked . Thanks for the pics.

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:08 pm