RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

marayong arena
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

marayong arena

hey everyone,

just throwing this question into the air, which is how are we going to construct the front wall of the arena?

most of you NSW guys have seen the front and know that there is a small lower wall with lexan already in it so im just wondering how are we going to erect the big lexan panels above it?

im thinking having a box section skeleton welded up in the shape of two squares welded together side by side with the lexan panels bolted onto them, and then having this skeleton attached to the floor and roof.

what do the pro's at construction and desiging etc (i geniunely suck at it..) think would be the best way?

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

I`m sure Nick and Chris will have discussed some way to mount the screens but one thing is the top of the lower wall is slotted so the sheets would sit in that nicely. Another thing is on the instructions for the Safeguard gp polycarb from Dotmar that I use it says to allow for thermal expansion approx 5mm/m so bolting to a steel frame may not be the best.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:03 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

For the framework for the polycarb at sidetracked we used angle iron.
Cheaper than rhs and it makes a frame that the sheets can sit in and be supported with minimum bolting etc.
The engineer approved this technic,
I don’t know if a drawing exists but Brett could probably find out the size of the angle that was used.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:45 am 
Waddy the phoenix

hmmm i think i know what u meen but you could always just add rubber washers/spacers to let it get the the expansion needs it has just an idea Wink

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:04 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I'll check into the exact dimensions if you guys want, but one tip i do remember now is that when drilling mounting holes through polycarb, make sure you make them at least one drill size (or more) over the bolt size you intend to use, then use washers on both sides.

The polycarb needs to be able to flex to absorb energy and if its rigidly held in place by its bolt holes, chances are it will crack from them under severe impact.

Oh, and allow a fair bit of time to get that paper covering off.. as anyone at sidetraked can tell you, its a lot harder than you would think until you figure out the knack of tearing the whole sheet off.. Laughing

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

LOL me and tim had that down to a fine art Cool

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:58 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Lol, not as good as the fine art i had while pushing the arena panels around on the trolley from the workshop through the gokart circuit Smile

Ah, the blessed memories of Robowars.......Now to make it complete we just need Brett to finsh the DVD Shocked

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:51 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Giant Robo:
I`m sure Nick and Chris will have discussed some way to mount the screens but one thing is the top of the lower wall is slotted so the sheets would sit in that nicely. Another thing is on the instructions for the Safeguard gp polycarb from Dotmar that I use it says to allow for thermal expansion approx 5mm/m so bolting to a steel frame may not be the best.

Very Happy well actually nothing has been discussed Confused but if someone has accses to a FAX machine i can do a few sketches and show you what to do angle iron etc seems a bit overkill a couple of solid timber posts will do fine .i reckon 3 / 4x2 pine posts bolted to the floor and fixed to one of the roof trusses if theres not a truss plumb up from the arena lower wall SCREW a couple or braces to the closest one and attatch the posts to those .
place 1 post in the middle of the opening and the others on the left and right ....the polycarb can then be screwed to the timber post.but ill put onto a fax so if someone has access to one please get me the number if that fails ill scan one and email to someone

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:44 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Just had a chat with Chris. I am picking the three polycarb sheets up tomorrow AM. We have a stack or spare 75 x 35mm pine for the frame and while I would prefer the welded steel, the timber is here and ready to go.

I was thinking using the slot in the lower wall and this goes against all the OS arena techniques, wiich use 2 structurally seperate walls. If we just extend the existing wall, there is only one level of protection; if it fails, our legs are the next barrier to get chopped thru Shocked (see my next post)

It would be easiest to use the same general technique as for drywall construction ie. a top and bottom beam and vertical posts with the verticals spaced so the polycarb sheets overlap on each side. To make things neater & straighter, I will run the wood over the planer.

The hight has to be 2.4m (the sheet hight) and the width will be a little less than 3.6m, depending on the amount of polycarb overlap. We will need to make some extensions to couple the ends of the wall to the shed.

Do we want to paint it? I have enough white paint for at least one coat.

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:28 am 
andrew

no way dude. leave it as is. see thru is cool

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:24 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

DUH, I meant "do we want to paint the framework?"

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:39 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

lol well paint is cosmetic so its not of importance yet i think aslong as we get it all up and it works its all good whatta ya recon Smile

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:17 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

nick .i think the wall jeff has is around 900 high .....the opening is 6metres so the sheets will need to vertically [long ways ] to cover the opening ......but with jeffs existing wall at 900mm and the sheets at 1220mm the wall shoulds be 2120 high which is way high enough Very Happy

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:03 pm 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

Brrr, cold outside, just ran out to measure lower wall; 750mm and with the slotted top but don`t worry Nick, it is a second wall. There`s the inside low wall which you have seen, then about a 5'' gap with the sand filled pipes inside and then the new, 30mm x 750mmx 6m outer, lower wall with 6mm polycarb windows. I think you will approve. With the new panels "horizontal" ( sorry Chris Very Happy ) we can cover the entire width of the garage openning. We can overlap the panels or if noone minds cutting one panel in half, the spare half can cover the garage side window and adding a black plastic shroud over the outside will make an extra viewing area for 2-3 people.
The 75 x 35mm pine frame sounds good to me, then we won`t have to drill any holes through the polycarb at all. the existing pvc sheet can also be stretched over the polycarb with a gap of 35mm to reduce impact and scratches. I`ve also got heaps more pvc sheeting to cover any gaps with lots of layers.

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:47 am 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

Total viewing area, not including side window will be 6m x 1.95m. Very happy Very Happy

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:03 am