www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

team 1310. -robot drapC (subject to change)-VIC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I've run the DSE 18V drills at 24V in Avenger and have had no problem with heat or the gearboxes. But the motors do keep falling off the gearboxes.

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:47 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I.G. has anti-shock mounts for the drills (thanks to gary's little innovation details)..

They are on brackets with rubber suspesnion-type bushes so there is a bit of "bounce" in their mounting which probably helps take some of the "smash" effect when they suddenly reverse and prevent the pins from breaking.

It also runs the rare "Jaycar Drill" motors that were on sale for a few weeks with genuine johnson motors and a gearbox that seems to be made of higher quality plastic so probably has better quality metal inside as well.

I did finally break one of them at RoboWars Brisbane after many hard events, so I'm on my last spare now. I havent decided whether to stick with them (worrying since I dont have a matched spare anymore), or go to some "andrewmods" for the next event.

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
seanet1310

i sent an email to controllers@robowars.org ordering an ibc now just awaiting the bank details to pay for it and am ordering the RC in a couple of days
now i need a charger and cells posibly looking at sub C for the cells. which size i beleve is diameter 22.9mm hight 43.5mm give or take a mm or 2. now to work out alot of them into my design hopefuly not hard.

anyone know of a good reliable charger and how many cells it can charge at once. reasonably well priced. i was thinking of the one posted in the tread about the laser game.
http://www.hobbymodelwarehouse.com.au/index.html?lang=en-us&target=front.html

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Do a search on this forum for chargers there is a lot of information and help already written Very Happy

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:27 pm 
seanet1310

cool will do thanks

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seanet1310

quote:
Originally posted by NMO:
6x7 Runs the DSE 18 Volt drills andrew modded. The mod is ausome I ghighly reccomend it. The 18volt drills are pritty good althoug hI use some extra fan cooling. At the last event one of my fans stopped working and I did kill 1 motor however the other motor was still cool to the touch so Don't over volt and I recommend mounting a small cooling fan next to it.

so i take it fans would be a must if u went with the mod. steel should be comeing in a few days then i can acualy get to work.
i got 2 DSE 18V drills and i am going to get them moded by sending them away (brought them myseslf for the batterys to use and test untill a group buy comes along which could be a while)

contacted a few steel and other metal places and i should have some metal to make my chasie with by wendsay then i can aculay get to work.
still waiting on a responce to the email about the IBC sent late thursday so its only been 1 busness day if i havent hurd back wendsay ill send another email

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:38 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Your IBC request has been forwarded on to Jason who builds them. If you dont get a response in a couple of days, let me know and I'll chase him up

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

The mods dont make the motors work any harder if any thing the moded gear box friction load is reduced ..its just those dick smith motors withthe extra gearing tend to run hot

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:56 pm 
seanet1310

cool thanks for that info both of u

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:01 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

the Dick Smith 18v motor also seem to be of a lower build quality. I remember seeing the explosion of the armature in one of the motors in KO.

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:21 am 
seanet1310

i now know what u ment by hot after running for half an hour still in the dill the plastic case was hot and holding the drills would have probably burnt a hand. worked some pc fans into my design so should be good with them

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:05 pm 
seanet1310

tested the andrew modded motors and gearbox without load using a drill battery i didnt have much more then 15rmin so even befour they slowed down. with 2 in parallal thats about 30min. under load and battle conditions i doubt that would last the time. so ill defently get some proper ones ASAP.

the andrew mod seams great. thats for segesting it spookie.
just awaiting delivery of the IBC. payed thursday so it should be any time now but im not that desperate so it doenst matter much

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:58 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Laughing What will become of the scooter motors then? Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:49 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

You should repeat the test after charging the drill batteries with a quality charger if you have not already done so.

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:41 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Rember they only have to go 3 minutes flat out dureing a battle so 3 drill packs in paralel would probaly do it with out any wheapons to start with .

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:49 pm