www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Visceral - Team Aurora - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next

Author    Thread
Fish_in_a_Barrel

It's just so shiny, (the motor). I'd hate to see you demolish something so pristine. Take care of this one will ya?

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:47 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i provide you with no gaurentees ! but not likely this time.

got my new drum. 115mm diameter, 300mm long and 6mm wall thickness and weight is 5kg. the teeth are 15x15 steel too so there about 50% bigger this time. it looks pretty serious!! will get some pics of it tonight.

also have some 30mm shaft. all that remains is to get the little SOB made Smile will talk to the engineering shop next week to try get it made up. pics soon!

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

all you need now is a frame that doesn't explode every 30 seconds ;-P

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

non moving shaft on the drum will work wonders Cool

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

piccies time.

heres the new drum. 100mm ID and 6mm wall thickness = 5kg

and the teeth with respect to the old ones. 5mm wide and thicker = better bite for the higher RPM.

Old and new drum side by side and the motors orientation in the frame etc..

time to get a move on with this. tommorows job will be get some aluminium from buttsworth and start on the base plate and lid mounts. now the motor doesnt poke out the top anymore i can make a decent lid. hurrah.

will also cut off the rear support triangles and reweld them flush with the top and bottom to get more clearance for the larger drum.

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:29 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

got the triangles cut off the back and welded into the inside of the frame. lots more clearance now. i love 150 amp welding. its so easy Laughing

also for robowars ill just have to go ahead and use a solid shaft all the way through the drum. no time to have it designed and made and such. i want it done in the week!

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:21 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well time to power on with the build with less than 2 months to go.

started mounting the scorpion to the top of the brushless controllers heat sink to try and knock over two birds with the one stone and keep the space down.

also organised to have the drum made. ill be picking up the bearings tommorow hopefully and then dropping the drum off in the afternoon to get it made. will be the same as the old one just bigger and maybe a bit shorter. oh and with a solid stationary shaft. finally Shocked

while im there will see if i can get a bit of 3mm ali for the base too.

oh and the frames all been welded back together with flush bracing. perhaps i will be removing it again to cut down the frame width and length some more.. will see..

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:41 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

this is an exciting year for visceral Very Happy itll take a back bench in the build time compared to the new cobra but still should be pretty mean when its done.

ive made it heaps smaller by buying my own lathe (hope to get it this saturday if im alright after BDO) and then i can start making some pretty hectic stuff for the drum

also picked up these for $30 on ebay with $15 shipping which should make the drives fast + compact. win!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110215934900

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:14 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

right o well i cut down the frame even more as the right angle drills and smaller motor and such permit that.

motor will not be in the drum for this version so i can get it built quicker but its an easy add on with the lathe.

good news is the scorpion works! so i wont have to surgically remove your legs mike Razz i like how it works actually. i shoved it onto cobra for a quick blast and the control is extremely smooth. and the indicator LEDs for each output are a fantastic idea. it should be noted i put the controller into thermal shut down in about 20 seconds Razz

i went to see hafco today and picked out my lathe. so this saturday i shall be $2k out of pocket but be making some pretty cool stuff. Smile this ones taking the back bench priority wise but im happy itll be done for the 2nd event of the year.

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:19 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hmm many ideas now with the lathe and what not Shocked

so the theme for this version is to make it tiny with MASSIVE POWER.

to that end the drum will have a custom made brushless motor in one end cap and weigh about 7kg all up.

and it will also be using a pair of the large blue inrunners for drive motors this time as well Twisted Evil ive been fiddling with the inrunner all last night and this morning trying to ascertain what currents it will draw and its well within the limits of the conventional foward / reverse brushless controllers.

so we will see what happens

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:24 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hmm with all my pocket bikes finished bar the etek one (which requires a complex shaft setup im still learning how to make) i figured it may be time to do some robot stuff!

cobra is getting there but i have no enthusiasm to build it really and i need some 10mm ali to get it done.

so this robot gets some tlc. i hauled its rusty parts out and started making the drum. closest material i had for the job was some 20mm mystery plastic i got given. drilling it hard and smashing it with a hammer doesnt fracture it, so its up to the task.

lathing it up to a press fit. ive dremeled a slot into the cap where it aligns with the welded seam in the tube as a sort of keyway. and its a good press fit too. ill put 3 countersunk bolts in to lock it there!

next task is to lathe in the recess for the bearing but alas the lathe is too small to accommodate it. i can get it in if the chuck jaws are flipped over but they dont seem to engage back in the chuck. i would think this should work?? hmm... but anyway thats a job for tommorow.

i have to cut down the drum as well to allow the pulley to fit in so this will knock the drums weight down to something acceptable Smile will also be milling slots in the drum to allow the teeth to lock in there solid. not sure how to jig this up just yet..

and this robot will get 8 cells worth of A123 in the MEC packs. worst case ill put in the phantom cell and run 7 cells to save weight. but i think it will be nicely under.

uhhh and yeah the base plate will be 6mm and milled out for the parts to sit in. I love my mill Laughing

and thats about it i think. any suggestions on how to get this cap in the lathe would be tops Exclamation

Post Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:33 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I can make the bearing pockets two ways: if you want a pocket with a smaller lip on the inside (about 5mm or less) then the boring head will do the trick. If you want a pocket with a just a small central hole, then I can use the rotary table.

I have some 3/8" (9.6mm) aluminuim plate left over, send me some dimensions and I will look thru the stock.

Post Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:54 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

this version im running the bearings in the drum caps so if i could just get the cap into the lathe id be set.

but i might actually have a look for a boring bar head for it if only a small one. should be okay in plastic Smile

Post Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:05 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The small boring heads from places like Hare & Forbes or McJing would be fine, but they have less accurate adjustments so you need to be super careful to get the right size bore. I recommend getting a telescopic gauge to measure the bore diameter accurately:

With plastic, you can be a few thou under and press the bearing in without problems.

Post Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:45 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

you probably need to get and or use reverse jaws for the chuck, usually it comes with them.
If you look at the bottom of the chuck teeth you will see what i mean. Note the direction the gears face.

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number