RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

RoboWars 4 - Jan 13 + 14 2007 - @SideTracked
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Author    Thread
andrew

Just got back then,

once again a great thanks to brett for running the event, was a absolute blast

NSW didnt take out any titles this year but oh well, maybe next time Smile

Orit performed perfectly all weekend only losing because i faced damn good machines, the fights i was in though i did pu on a great show and made alot of noise and mayhem

only lost to devastator and elanore which r amazing machines

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:00 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

There are nothing but good machines these days. No more easy wins thats for sure.
I was very impressed with how the robots are these days.
Any one of them could have won the first robowars without trying.

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:32 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

will type some more up when im not about to keel over and sleep but my dearest thanks go to brett and mel for letting me stay at their place, was the most fun ive had in a long time Razz

orbit vs devestator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFpvP1qrCdo

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Where do I start without sounding like a MTV award winner ? Shocked I'd like to thank mum and dad and all my friends and... blah blah.. Wink

In no particular order..

Ajax for flying all the way from Adelaide not to compete, but just to help out and harass everyone into being sensible.. (see I told you he was easier to deal with in real life.. Smile), All the Interstaters for travelling across the countryside (again) to come and join in the carnage. Marc DeCarlo our cameraman for spending his whole weekend sitting in a black plastic cubbyhouse to get the high quality footage we love to see (more on that in a mo). The Judges for the thankless job of choosing the winners and losers. SideTracked (and staff) of course for making the whole thing possible. Gary (Rotwang) for building I.G.3's chassis that stood up to Jolt with no more damage than a hole in the shell. My Lady Mel for putting up with me while I grumbled my way through the weeks preceeding the event juggling work, bot building and organising, as well as making our guests feel welcome, Mark Nauman our commentator and SideTracked Manager

Special mention to Mike for breaking the record for furthest travelled (all the way from Perth - 3,500km !) and seriously embarrassing some Veteran competitors with his MDF wood, SLA powered, First Bot.

i could probably waffle on and thank heaps more people, but since we all know mostly each other fairly well, I'm sure you all know how much it takes from every participant to make the show such a great one. Be assured I appreciate the efforts from all of you.

Robot Wise,

1st
Congratulations to Rob, Rotwang and Reboot
http://www.robowars.org/wikka/Reboot for taking out the RoboWars 4 title.. if there was a favourite to win, this would have to have been it, Amazing, since amongst all the Kilowatt machines around, Reboot continues to dish out the damage with a 100 watt scooter motor, and show that precision driving will take you far.

2nd
Elanor for being one of the nicest engineered rookie bots this year, and going to runner-up in his first outing. Like Gary predicted from observing his build, Elanor is one to look out for. Trent has obviously watched carefully and learned how to do everything right first time. He even had his Robot finished well before the event and got in some driving practice Shocked No wonder he did so well..

3rd
Vincent. What a surprise. Probably the cheapest (in terms of $ anyway, Lots of hours of time) Bot in the competition. Powered by a home made experimental controller, mainly scrounged second hand parts, SLA batteries, and driven by Rick for his first time ever driving a Robot (the regular driver being unavailable), Vincent took on some of the toughest most destructive bots out there, survived a pounding and remained undefeated all the way to the quarter finals. Well done..

Other thoughts off the top of my head. - Orbit wins the "Most Damage to the Arena floor" award.. Double Entry fee for you next year Andrew Wink Devastator for bouncing a Robot off the roof and hitting (but not breaking) our flood lights with it. Avenger would have had to be one of the most entertaining robots with its wildly swinging hammer (and the tap-tap-tap psych out at the start of some fights..a speed controllable hammer is cool). Jeff/Late and myself for sharing the "duh" award by having our weapons spinning backwards. Gary (again) for having more running Robots than any other 3 teams combined.

The Wacky Races were Hilarious again, although hard on the 'Bots with lots of machines letting out the magic Smoke. I'm not sure exactly who won. I.G. easily left everyone else in the dust with its amazing speed for a few laps, but then impaled itself on Banes spikes and had to be hammered free before it could continue to do another 6 or more speedy laps, so I dont know if that counts as a win or not. I'm guessing Scoopy (driven by Ajax for the first time) did just as many laps, chugging along slowly but steadily. I'll watch the video carefully and try and figure it out. Anyone else have any memorable moments from the Race ? Naturally I was focussing on my own bot for 95% of it.

Alright enough with the gushing. I'll write an I.G.-centric report in I.G's build thread shortly along with some photos.

I have copied all 4 high-Q event video tapes to DVD and ripped them into the computer as VOB files. Now I need to sit through them all and split them up into individual fights (hour-long vids are hard to handle), MPG encode them and upload them to youtube and/or botclips/botscoop. Any experienced video gurus (Kero's ?) want this job ? Rolling Eyes I'll express-post you a copy of the DVD's.. One condition. no microsoft .wmv files to be released of them - Microsoft and their stupid DRM formats suck.. http://www.defectivebydesign.org/en/node . All videos made from my tapes must be GPL v3 compliant .

Final results tree will be posted shortly.

Thank you all once again.. I love you all ! Laughing

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I'll encode and generally staff around with the stuff if you want Brett?
what format are they in now? I will (with jeffs permission) upload them to his server in a high quality, "dvd" like in h.264 or xvid? and a low quality in say mpeg2. Probably around 30MB per fight in high and 3-5MB or so for low? sound good for everybody?

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
will type some more up when im not about to keel over and sleep but my dearest thanks go to brett and mel for letting me stay at their place, was the most fun ive had in a long time Razz

orbit vs devestator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFpvP1qrCdo

Here is another angle of the same fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_BIrQrVpS8

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:40 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Big thanks speech and schtuff when I get some more sleep... Got a metric ass load of people to thank!

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:30 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Winners Side of the Tree for day 2

(save and shrink it if its too high res for your browser to cope with)

Victory Challenged side of the Tree

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:25 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

I'm home, got some sleep.

It was a big weekend packed full of great fights and destruction.

the arena took a betting as well as the floor.

a lot of very close calls for the fights.

The level and reliability of the robots being put into the arena for battle now is very good.
There is a large veriety of robots allowing anyone to win an event.

As tech inspector I was happy with the direction the robots and teams are going with the safety side of things.

There are still more improvments needed and I will be giving Spockie a report on the weekend, then publish Items we consider need addressing now for future events.

This is not something that can change over night but if there is improvements with each event, as the sport grows and as more people get involved building and competing, then the risk of injury will be reduced for everyone.

there are some area's of concern that I found out after the event that will be addressed quickly. But I will be talking to Spockie first then we will procced from there.

One thing to remember, this report will not be singling out any one person.
All the issue of concern was done by several people / teams.

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:20 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Okay....... I honestly don't know where to start thanking people, there's a lot of them to thank.

Brett - Once again you've done a kick ass job organising everything. I can't find anything at this event that wasn't done brilliantly

Mel - For putting up accommodation for Andrew and myself (Glen too the freeloader Very Happy). Had a heap of fun stay with you and Brett. Sorry about the front lawn Embarassed

Andrew - For fixing my gearboxes that I destroyed with my super awesome destructive powah the day before we flew to Melbourne... Cheers again Smile

Sidetracked - Awesome Venue, great staff, great atmosphere... You probably made $100 out of me and Glen in Daytona alone, but it was worth it Very Happy

Nick - For letting me kick his ass around the arena, breaking all sorts on Jolt while he kept fighting on. I've waited 3 years to fight Jolt Razz It was golden to not only beat you on our first battle, but survive without a scratch on the armour Cool Farm Steel for t3h win

Trent - For being the only guy to stop my onslaught on the competition... Even if it was only a fluke.... twice... You know there is grudge match coming! Twisted Evil

Andrew Kerison - For firing the flipper inside of Schmackhed's hoop and giving it the ultimate test Laughing Sorry it didn't work for you though Razz

Anguz - Thanks for the spare motors, without the spare, I wouldn't have been able to beat Jolt as easily Razz

Ajax - For coming to be the tech guy and for being the taxi driver for Andrew and I.... I'll beat you in the go karts sooner or later!

Schmackhed - Well... What can I say, built entirely from crap laying around in my backyard, the electronics being the only things new in it... The rough house design proved to be more effective then planned. I would even go as fa as saying that it was the lowest wedge there! The armour was awesome, was great to come out from fight Jolt with no more then a few scratches on the paint Laughing So much for spinners... (dig dig dig dig). This bot exceeded my expectations 10 fold... Never expected myself to last more then two matches, let alone make it to the top 4...

Minor upgrade and Schmackhed will just keep doin what he does best... Using his hed! He will also shift onto test model work for the new bot. I learnt a hell of a lot with this bot, way more then I should have... Confused

If I've forgotten anyone, my apologies...

When is the next one!!! Cool

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:43 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by TNT:
I'll beat you in the go karts sooner or later!

come on, you drive that slow my grandma could bet you. Laughing Razz Cool

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:46 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

http://rankings.robowars.org/modern%20rankings.htm

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:01 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Thems fightin words Ajax... When ever you finish that overweight spinner of yours, I'll come break it for you Wink

Grudge! Laughing

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:11 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Just a huge thank you to everyone for a fantastic weekend. I vow here and now to win a feather fight at the next big event!!!

Thank's to Brett, Ajax, Mark, Tim and Sidetracked for running and judging a great event. I wouldn't have liked to have to judge this weekend with so many close calls.

I only have one question for the Vic's..... When do we want to fight again??????? I think we need to start practising hear and now so that we can regain that title next year!!!

Thank's again.

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:03 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Ah, Reboot is a Vic bot.. Wink We *have* the Title back..

Next battle ? Depends on how big you want it to be.. A public SideTracked event, a Grantville private one or something else ?

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:09 pm