Length Width Height : small

Type of radio controler: pcm

Radio frequancy: 72

General coments : spidey like

Last edited by Nexus on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:11 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Pinscher and Pod, sitting in a tree, banjo playing if u know what I mean.

Time to start a new post. This robot is very similar to Pinscher but it wont pinch and just have a hinged wedge hopefully powered so decided to give it a new name.
Every few days I weld something and it changes its character so keep going through names so will wait another week or 2 till its almost complete b4 finalising its name.

This robot is basically all of Pinschers ideas developed further and merged with everything I have leant about tanks, mainly the bulldog and the leopard.
One of the unique features of this robot is the balisticly shaped floor pan based on certain US tanks.

A brief description.
Welded body with no flat panels, everything is basically angled triangles, about 20 at a guess.
The body size is smaller than an A4 magazine with the wheels sticking out.
4 wheels paired as 2 for a width of about 4 inches and a height of 105mm.
Improved weight distribution.

Started designing the wedge which will be a new shape and build method, just working out how to hinge it without getting it ripped off.

Hand made wheels again but these things are real grippy so might update motors to increase its speed because am hoping this thing will handle very noice.

Wheels have built in shock properties.
The rear wheel will have torsion suspension to help maintain control and the wedge will probably get some suspension when lifting heavy things.

I tried not to make this thing too complicated but nothing like having a good looking corpse.

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:12 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Time for a few early photos,
Guessing its around 60 percent complete.

First a revision of the drive train, same gears as b4 but made more modular and easier to work with. Bought 2 new motors yesterday to increase its speed rather than adding cells.
Think will just run this at 14.4 volts. New motors have about 15-10 % less torque but have almost twice the power – don’t really understand that , Anyways the key thing is new motors increase speed by about 65 %.
Heres some pics of the new steup – I like to call the poor mans Dewalt.
Setup in photos is only a 9:1 gear reduction, when u add the angle grinders end up with about 24:1.

@Gary, photo shows the gear and ouptput shaft that have to connect. Will wait and see what u have dug up, have also found a few bits to try but they require the Russian building technique –( smash it with a hammer) so will be patient till the weekend.

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/robot_tank/?action=view&current=motor3.jpg

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/robot_tank/?action=view&current=frontmotor.jpg

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/robot_tank/?action=view&current=motor2.jpg

And here Is an early preview to how the new bot is looking, you can see the resemblence to poochy. The body u see is actually 2 parts. The outer shell is connected only to the drive bulkhead and abslolutely nothing is attached to the armour.

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/robot_tank/?action=view&current=top.jpg

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/robot_tank/?action=view&current=front.jpg

One weird side effect is the armour acts like a bell, when hit it resonates for ages and depending on where you hit it it changes the frequency, don’t know yet if this is good or bad.
Finally the wheels, I just dig them, have dropped robot a few times and it just bounces off the wheels very noice. The inner parts of the wheels have already been slashed so they have some give if someone tries to rip them off. Depending on weight will try to add some sort of armour but shall see.

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:43 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Looks a lot like Compressor or Agsma from the RDC guys Cool Love those big treads, look like they will take a hammering too!

Won't be a boring wedge by the looks of it Twisted Evil

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:49 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

do you have any links to pics of compressor, have seen agasma and oddly enough that reminded me of Pinscher.
Once this is done it will be its own robot, an australian robot with australian ideas.
Wait till you see the front end, hoipefuly it hasnt been done before but who knows

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:05 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Compressor is one of my favourite bots, looks so awesome. I don't know of any good pics but on youtube search *compressor robot combat* or such and it should come up with some good video's, including one of ziggy completely owning it in a fun match lol. Smile
But you bot does certainly bear some similarities, looks sweet. Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:49 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Thanx Angus, just saw some vids and yeah there are some similar things.

I noticed Agsma seems to have the same weight issues as Pinscher and seems like a handful to drive.

Still this is going to be different when finished, its rear end is not flat and has been made based on dealing with local robots. have also been really focusing on getting the weight over the wheels for high speed control.

Really want something easy to drive and hopefully fast.
The front end will change the character of this robot a lot when done plus a few other things.

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:51 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Progress update.

Firstly have decided on a name, My new robot will be called SPYDER.
Guess because I like to think of it as a cross between a sports car and an Insect, (yes I Know, spiders arent insects but anyway)

Last couple of weeks have been trying to make the lifting mech for the wedge and last night stayed up late with about 10 different single and 2 speed gearboxs tring to make something work. End result is I am adding a third stage to a single speed gearbox 550 size to end up with a ratio about 150:1 which direct drives the wedge with a chain.
The motor is mounted directly to the wedge to be modular.

So everythings worked out and can put the final pieces of armour on and put on the new motors.

Other things that have been done are the rear skid using a 1/4 inch spring steel rod giving it some slight suspension and the wedge has its internal frame and half its mech all done.

Am trying to extend the degrees of movement with this design.
Pinschers lifter has about 120 degrees of movent, Kingpin has 90 degrees but with overlapping jaws its range gets incresed.

Spyder is hopefully going to break the 200 degrees mark which means the wedge should be able to pivot back ontop of its body, but it will mean that the motor is exposed but have many spare single speed stuff and this gives me something to do with them.

Will register my robots once they are actually running, all three need work so aiming at having everything finished by the first week into Jan.

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:32 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Thought I should register my bots, or actually ask someone else to register me.
Will take some pics in a few days, have been extremely busy lately and will be working on the new feather till a week in Jan but its comeing together slowly but surely.

Anyways heres the list and thanx to whover can put these up on the Wiki.

Feather - Spyder
Lightweigt - King Pinscher
Exhibition - Pod

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:47 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Frequencies please Smile

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Wiki Updated with your entry. Advise me if there are any errors

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

THought I should post a message to remind people of safety with tools.

Have been working on the computer flat out for days and tried to get some quality angle grinder time today but in my slackness tried to hand hold a small bracket and grind it and the grinder slipped running up the base of my thumb,
Well some needles, stitches and pills later thought to mention a humble tool that we tend to forget as our fave and thats the underrated vice.

Vices are good to hold things with, DOH, will loose a few days that I didnt have but hopefully will leave a cool scar.

Take it easy with tools b4 events Cool

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:55 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm yeah i've had mine kick back and damage a disk recently trying to cut this titanium (which it really isn't designed to do).
Clamping things before grinding is a good idea! Laughing
Heh good that you didn't get such a bad injury, could've been a lot worse! Sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:29 am 
assassin

I hope you have a speedy recovery. When I do stuff like that I put a welding glove on, would that have helped do you think?
I was just thinking of the type of cut a grinder would make, it would remove flesh rather than just slice it. That going to take a while to heal, bugger.

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:03 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

I was using a very thin disk so it basically cut the skin open about 2 inches, but not too deep, hardly amy bleeding, needed 4 stitchs but the problem was I was cutting rubber ealier so there was a lot of melted rubber and crap around the wound.
Yes should have used gloves, would have reduced damage by more that half, maybe wouldnt have cut skin at all so learnt a lesson.

Going back to docs now to check for infection and then will be back wearing a glove and working on me robot.

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:22 am