www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> The Marketplace

wanted radio gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
cyberman

wanted radio gear

im looking for some radio gear (relitivly cheap) if anyone has any please leave a message telling me wat you have got (or at least were to get it) thanks Razz

Last edited by cyberman on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I realise you're probably a young fella and still think that sp3kng in l33t txt spk iz cul.

However, this forum is mainly populated by technically skilled engineering types who value accurate and clear communication using an agreed upon protocol (the english language) which has certain common conventions - namely grammar and spelling - designed to make it easy for people to exchange ideas with minimal distortion.

Modifying those conventions, because 1 - you cant be bothered to type the full word, or 2 - think that customising your messages using whatever vague dialect seems cool to you on the spur of the moment will improve your social image, in actual fact, only makes you look rather lazy or immature in this area.

Or, put in simpler language

Learn to Spell - txt spk makes u l00k like a dick.

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cyberman

Geez thanks (i think)

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Wink OK, I'll be nicer.

If you can afford it, the best system to get is a Spektrum Radio - 6 channels, computer programmable, no crystals required (to avoid frequency conflicts), pretty much immune to interference (a BIG problem in combat robots), and pretty good value for money at around $300.

Available from the Robotmarketplace.com shop in the USA. The advantage of buying there is you get the BR-6000 receiver instead of the AR6000, the B (is for Bot) and means it failsafes correctly for Robot Use. The standard Spektrum Receiver (AR6000) does not failsafe so cannot be used without some fiddling around. Most hobby shops and other places only stock the AR6000.

If you cant swing the $ for a Spektrum, then things get a lot trickier.

If you are going to use an Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) for your robot, then avoid cheap 2nd hand radios unless you are a radio expert - The interference produced by Combat Robots is far worse than any remote control car or plane and will cause you no end of grief trying to make them work - The failsafes will keep kicking in when the signal gets noisy.

If you are using servo-switches as a controller, then a some noise can be tolerated and you might get away with a cheaper radio. Then again, you might not - depending on how good your antenna and noise supression on your motors etc is.

Keep in mind that a Radio Transmitter is a multi-year investment and it is better to spend the extra $$ on a good one now that will just work reliably and last you many bots (and planes and cars etc) rather than spend $100 on a crappy one that will probably be upgraded within a year or two.

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cyberman

is this 1 any good http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_rc_radioGWT4A.html
if its not feel free to bag me but yer

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:05 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

It is some good, but not really. Rolling Eyes

Assuming you want to build a featherweight (13.6Kg) Robot, you are best off with a PCM radio, or a Spektrum for reliable operation.

72Mhz and 75Mhz (American) FM and AM radios work better than the 29/36Mhz Australia Radios do, as far as resisting interference goes, and also only need an antenna half the length (A good thing when the other bot is trying to antenna-amputate you), but will still suffer the occasional problem with interference.

A PCM ($$$) (rather than FM) or a Spektrum system will have almost *no* problems with interference.

It is difficult to find a reliable radio for combat robot use under $300.

Like I said, if you are going to use servo-switching or some other form of noise-tolerant controller, then you would probably be ok with a radio like that, if you want to use an electronic speed controller, you will probably need a radio with error correction in the transmission protocol like one of these - http://www.robowars.org/wikka/StandardRadio

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:19 pm 
WiperMotor

those GWS ratos arn't too bad,I have the GWT6A (6Ch with the 2 switches on the top) you can get them from www.ozhobby.com for $55 witout servos or a reciever tho (but I'm going to go with a spektrum soon)

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:20 pm 
cyberman

thanks guys

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:20 am 
Wazio88

Hey guy… Getting a radio is a big deal… You are going to have it for a long time lord willing. It will not go into the arena with the robot so chances are you are not going to damage it, thus get the nicest one that you can afford. It is in the same category with chargers and tools; you get what you pay for. My first radio was the laser-6. A good radio, but with several different bots all with different settings I found it was not good enough for what I needed. I would have to switch the crystals, open the bottom of it and change the settings, bla bla bla. Plus for robots above 12 pounds I as a US builder have to have PCM type signal. Overall a big pain in the ass! But, perhaps if you are going to have the one robot and FM is OK in your rules this might be a good choice for you. I consider the GWS radio to be ‘cheap’ and a poor choice when you have other options. As said before a Spectrum radio might not be a bad choice but personally I like the Airtronics line of radios. High quality and a good price or perhaps take a look at Futaba. The higher end radios will allow you to see and adjust setting on the radio by looking at a little screen. So, in conclusion… I think your best bet would be to go with something a little more high quality. Trust me that you will be a lot happier down the road! But if you can only afford the GWS I am sure that work. I have been down the road of the super small budget too Smile Good luck, hope that helps a little!

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cyberman

thanks

thnx a heap

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:41 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Heh good advice there. I've had good experience with my 4ch skysport and so have many others. They're a good reliable first radio which can be had new for under $200. Not to mention they're hardy as all hell and hack with ease Cool
However as your uber expensive transmitter might not be going into the robot, don't forget the reciever IS Very Happy
I've had my aerial torn out of my reciever a grand total of over 4 times, however the spectrum might be a good solution (until something hits that little flimsy looking thing, especialy the 6ch recievers!). Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:35 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

If you use a good radio you dont need a big external antenna to get ripped out Razz

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:55 pm 
cyberman

true. how many people have a spektrum??

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:20 am 
leo-rcc

quote:
Originally posted by dyrodium:
however the spectrum might be a good solution (until something hits that little flimsy looking thing, especialy the 6ch recievers!). Smile

My BR6000 is pretty much smack in the middle in the inside of my robot. If someone hit my receiver there, i have a bigger problem than a torn antenna. Smile

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:14 am 
Andrew W

Heaps of people using them, having a look at the wiki page for Robowars 4 ( http://www.robowars.org/wikka/RoboWarsEvents ) shows more than half the 25 competing featherweight robots using the Spektrum.

Andrew W

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:52 am