www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Punk - Team Electromaniac - WA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

yep, if all goes according to plan there'll be Stealth style rapid fire flippage while being able to take on spinners Smile

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Being forever aware of trying to encourage new builders to this sport I find the rapid explosion of High energy spinners concerning. It certainly has convinced me at least that there is only 2 ways to go. Either put all your weight into a devastating weapon or put all of your weight into devastating armour. I don't think you can have an even mix of both anymore.
I had a weapon weighing in at around 3kg's and while my build quality and design skills aren't as good as many others, because of the high KE weapons many non weaponed bots now have such good armour that you can't win on damage against them without a high KE weapon. Winning on control and style is even more difficult in my opinion.

Just some thoughts but I worry that many of the people who were interested in joining us will very soon be to worried about getting their first bot smashed to bits in their very first fight to bother building at all.

Last edited by NMO on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:06 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

until they see punk's fights ;->

what is a "paper" bot?

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:13 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

This is a good point, although in my opinion Punk and Eleanor are some of the best first designs I've seen. Not everyone can learn the lessons that they've learnt straight up. (Sorry if I've missed anyone newbie who has built a great first bot.)

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:16 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I think as although all this might be an interesting topic, mike IS a new builder, so he's allowed a wedge! Laughing
Combining a wedge with a weapon can make a very effective robot. Although snak masheen didn't win much, if my weapon wasn't doing as much damage as it could have, it was an easy manouver to flip the reverse switch on my radio and ram bots into the wall with the rear wedge. Trying to *ban* a whole class of robots is pretty stupid in my opinion, if people want to winge, then build something that can defeat them easily... I know currently in the states the massive featherweight spinners like killabyte and relik are having trouble facing off with Xillerating (shpelling?) impax and it's full hardened S7 wedge! Shocked But even so... a good armoured flipper could probably own both.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:16 am 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

quote:
Originally posted by NMO:
Just some thoughts but I worry that many of the people who were interested in joining us will very soon be to worried about getting their first bot smashed to bits in their very first fight to bother building at all.
This is a good point, although in my opinion Punk and Eleanor are some of the best first designs I've seen. Not everyone can learn the lessons that they've learnt straight up. (Sorry if I've missed anyone newbie who has built a great first bot.)

I didn't have any choice, but wouldn't new builders have experienced builders guiding them at the build meets.

As a note, Punk was designed to take a beating and keep working. I was using it as a testbed to see how damaging other peoples bots would be. It had built in damage zones (extra mdf) to allow for some to be torn off. Had the lid not been ripped off (and the titanium) in my battle with Late, I would have kept going.

I don't think that the current state of affairs has reduced the playing field to tanks and spinners. There is enough variety that anyone can draw any type of bot in a battle. This was proven in robowars where Punk, a wood bot with no weapon and minimal armour, was able to make it all the way to the quater finals.

And as Brett said, this is a paper scissors rock game so there will always be some way to beat a bot. That's where the new (and experienced builders need to come in with new (and rehashed) ideas.

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:59 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Valen:
until they see punk's fights ;->

what is a "paper" bot?

Paper = Control bot, lifter, flipper, launcher, clamp, smother bot. ElBravo, Stealth, Sproing, Ballistic, Devastator.

General disadvantage is bot has to be big and weapon uses up a lot of weight points so generally thin-skinned.

Devastator one of the few that can take a hard hit.

Spider is small and very thick skinned. A tough control bot.

Paper covers rock.
Smile

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:28 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds like i need to clarify a few things about Spyder.
90% of it is just 3mm mild steel. There are a few leading edges that are doubled to 6mm but most of it is just 3mm which is not that thick at all.
The wedge has a unique building approach which doeas give it extra support but still the panels on the wedge are still just 3mm.
Pinscher, one of the earliest paper bots had 3mm aluminium with about 4-5mm of leather on that so this is the thinnest armour I have had yet.

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:06 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

Hi all,
A Rock Paper Scissors thread was created in General Chatter.

http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=973

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:16 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

Something between my tranmitter and my wheels has gone wrong Confused . I can drive frowards ok, but backwards causes only one wheel to work at a time and generally turns left. The same thing happens with the steering. Right turns right, while left is somewhere between turning and driving forwards.

I've looked at the channel mixing settings in the spektrum but I dont think that the transmitter has gone funny. If I remember I'll take a video tomorrow. There was something intermittent while battling at robowars, and it really showed in the wacky race. I was only able to drive backwards and turn left. Trying to drive forwards or right became unpredictable.

Any suggestions???

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:38 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

the IBC does mixing for you, get either the IBC or the spectrum to do the mixing not both ;->
check the jumpers and chips on the IBC are firmly seated (ie push them all firmly but not "hard" back into their sockets, and be aware of static while doing so, ie sit down in a non plastic seat if you have one touch something large metal and earthed (sink works well) then start mucking about with it)

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I would be checking motors and gearboxes carefully.

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:10 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

I'll check the seating of the chips when I get home.

All of the motors still go forward, and one drive side still goes backwards, so I would presume the motors are ok. I'll give them a good test tonight.

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:32 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

You can isolate the various systems to help you find where the problem lies. You can disconnect the receiver from the robot and plug servos in to find out if that is the problem or not. You can plug your IBC to the receiver and attach lights to the output instead of motors to check if EMF from the motors is interfering with the radio signal.

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:41 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

Looks like I have a fried brain (in my IBC). The problem is the same on all channels of the radio. The servos react as the should so it's probably the IBC.

With the mixing jumper removed the left side move correctly and the right side is odd. Backwards is fine, but when the stick is moved slowly forward it goes from full backwards, down to off when the stick is pushed to the top. I'll fire off an email to Jason, I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this?

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:58 pm