RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Robort - Bort - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Bort:
Next thing I need is the solenoid valve. Any ideas?

The first question is what is the pressure that the valve will be operating at? Second, what sort of fittings are you using?

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fish_in_a_Barrel

quote:
Originally posted by Bort:
Caber:
... Going to buy the Ozito arc welder from bunnings to weld it together. Same price as the GMC but its duty cycle is better at the higher current.

I came out quite well from the quokka (local trading post). 20yr old pure copper transformer. Large but there is no fan to fail on it. Goes up to 140A at 25% $150, The best money I've spent in a long time.

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:44 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

if you're using the solenoid just for the venting like my system (main SodaStream valve is the "fire" valve) then a car vacuum solenoid will work.
They should cost next to nothing from a wrecker, or I can probably find you some Smile

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Well this thread hasn't seen any action for a while.

Caber had quite a bit of work done on it in preparation for battleshed. However fell short of the mark hours before the event. The bike pump ram exploderised.

Well that problem should be solved thanks to Chris for donating a commercial ram that is just the right size.

At the moment I'm just recutting a few things and making up some different mounts for the ram and the arm. With work this should be ready for the November event.

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:40 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

some pics

the last one shows the bike pump and how i was thinking of putting it. So thats been replaced with the ram. But the rest of the components are still being used.

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:33 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Build Thread Revival

Haha, bike pump? What was I smoking?

Thanks to Chris for donating a proper ram this robot has seen a very slow and steady revival.

However the fact that the flipper can now actually flip another robot makes me very happy. And it seems to flip quite well too. Still a few kinks to iron out and mount internals. But the flipping mechanism was always going to be the biatch to setup.

Now going to run 12v drills on 12v instead of 18v on 24v. This is mostly a weight saving exercise as the new flipper mechanism is quite heavy.

All in all, look out all you non invertable robots Twisted Evil

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:08 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Time to post up some new stuff about the new collection of bots that are amassing in my garage.

Robot : Flexo
Team : Robort
Builder : BORT
Driver : A/A
Class : Featherweight
Chassis/Armour : Box frame with 6mm hardened steel plate, and 2.5mm steel top plate.
Weapon : 1.5kg steel mallet supported by Toyota Sera strut bar
Drive : 18V DSE Digitor drills with XU1 brushes
Controller : IBC
Batteries : CP 2400 at 24V
Combat Record : 7-0

Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:04 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Update on Flexo:

Now has spektrum receiver so can do away with tube aerial. The brushes on the DSE 18V drills have been replaced with XU1 as they have some sort of heatsink on them. Here's some more pics of Flexo from last event and some damage shots.

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:02 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Damage? Its just a flesh wound! Flexo looks much better with the polycarb top.

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:14 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

With the polycarb top, it looks a hell of a lot like the original Cobra Smile

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:20 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

LOL 'tis but a scratch.
Glen brought old Cobra to the last build day, and it was amusing. I forgot how much of it was bolted.

The polycarb is actually the bottom. The photo was just of the insides as I was working on them. Since the top is actually 2.5mm steel plate I have to work everything from the bottom.

The steel top plate has actually added a lot more rigidity to the frame too, and at no addtitional weight to the box section and stainless from version 1. Though its not as shiney as the stainless Sad

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:35 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

I'm not seeing alot of updates here Bort.

This leads me to conclude you are doing nothing, or at least, less than me!

Razz Cool

Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:56 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Well Flexo is now officially retired. His final event was Ideas Festival, which was the proving ground that thwackbots are just too damn boring.

It was sad to dismantle him after winning the NSW season 08, but I really wanted to make use of the bullet steel armour. The most memorable fight Flexo had was also one of the first few, Flexo v Scissorhands.

So with the same intentions for indestructible armour, but this time with active weapon, I have created a new bot. This bot will be a flame thrower and in keeping with my naming is aptly called Beelzebot.

A very slapped together version made an appearance for the first event of NSW but had many issues. I'm pleased to say that I fixed the most fiddley bit, which was remote lighting of the pilot light. Things remaining are fixing up the welding, wiring, switching, motor mounts and top lid.

I'll post some pictures of it all and Flexo probably in a week after the event.

Post Sun May 31, 2009 11:44 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Aww, Flexo! Most indestructible robot ever!

neverthless, nice to see the rise of Beelzebot Smile

glad to hear you sorted out the pilot light! how'd you do it?

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:47 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Shocked Holy crap! It's been a while.

In recent news I've made a lot of online purchases from Hobby King Rolling Eyes and dimension engineering. Well, by a lot I mean a lot for my standards.

Basically bought a whole bunch of Lipo batteries, charger, sabertooth, BEC etc. All these things will be put to use in insect class robots.

The sabertooth, a 3s lipo, BEC will be put to use in the fast traxx beetleweight. A 2s Lipo will be put into another off the shelf toy that was bought for $30 (total of $40 spent on that bot, the rest will be scrap metal). Nothing fancy with the bots at this stage, just easy thwack/wedge/ram style bots at this stage. As some of you may have seen the fast traxx is quite entertaining due to its speed, so will hopefully be interesting "boring" designs.

What bots I have at the next event will probably depend on if the orders arrive in time or not.

Post Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:32 pm