www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Electric axe?

Author    Thread
comanche

Electric axe?

i was wondering if a drill motor was sufficient for a featherlight

ive heard the batteries crap out, what is the best new battery to get?

i was thinking of using a sprocket and chain power, where can i get one that will fit the drill motor?

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:50 am 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Welcome to the forums. Where abouts are you located ?

A drill motor is probably a little weak for driving an axe - there great for drive, but when it comes to powering a weapon (thats not a lifter) they just don't have the grunt. You'd probably be better off with something like this:
http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?cPath=53_54&products_id=191
They come with the sprocket and motor mount, and have already been proven by the kero's and jeff j to have the power required.
If you can afford the weight in batteries, overvolt them as far as practically possible - since there only intermittent duty, you can hammer them for a lot more than you could if it were driving, say, a scooter.

ffej.net

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Drills are fine for drives in featherweights.

Here is some battery information. http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56&start=0

You could tap a new thread into a sprocket if you cannot find one "off the shelf" to fill your needs. Bot builders that live close to you may be able to help if you don't have a tap to suit.

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:19 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Drills don't have enough power to make a good electric axe. Your better off building an axe using electric scooter parts.
http://www.robowars.org/wikka/ElectricAxeWeapons

http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=734&start=0

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:03 am 
comanche

Well im new to making robots and havent weight the current one, but i think it may be under 10kg.

Im making a robot for my year 12 project, sourcing the steering and radio for a 1/16 scale tank. Im pretty sure i cant put 2 drill drive motors because i have already gone too far.

The chassis room for it is ~44x24, so putting a 300w scooter motor would be out of the question.

My concerns are the weight and the output performance. Ive only got 380 motors for the drive, which hopefully will be replaced with cheap 540 motors powered by 7.2v.

I was thinking of using rare earth magnets for increasing weapon power. I cant find any sprockets or chains still that would fit it.

Are there any aussie sites that sell cheap ESCs, 540s, chain and sprocket sets?

Suggestions appreciated

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:07 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

You might want to speak to Nexus since your an RC tank person. If your using your tank for the basis of your robot, you might want to reconsider a lot of things. Nexus is our resident tank nut and even he has yet to produce a bonified combat robot using tracks. He's working on it, but he hasn't done it yet Razz

If you have any pictures on what you've built so far, it would probably help us evaluate your situation. Smile

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:36 pm 
comanche

oh btw this robot isnt really for combat. It just more for destruction and getting a good mark for it Very Happy Not really high on defence, but more on looks and performance. The importance is that it looks like it came out of the factory.

Umm the robots at school but i can list the parts that i have so far.
- 44x24 sheet of alluminum
- 1/16 scale tank sides (wheels, tracks)
- " gearboxes and motors
- " radio system
- 12v drill motor and 12v battery
- 7.2v for drive
- smoke system

Yet to do
- mount everything
- build body and axe out of alluminum
- source 540, esc, chain, sprockets

I dont have many prac lessons, so it needs to be done fairly quickly.

Im still to figure out how to wire everything. The one part that puzzles me the most is, how will i connect the drill to the circuit. I am going to substituted the turret rotation with the drill motor to control the axe. Im just not sure how to give the drill its 12v power supply (scared it might blow up the circuit).

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:53 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

In that case a drill will be fine for an Axe, one of our early Hammer bots used 2 drills for its weapon, for a pretend weapon one drill will be fine, just keep it light and you can leave the clutch on the drill so it doesn’t hurt itself.

I can help you with a sprocket that can go straight on a drill; works on ordinary push bike chain. Smile

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:14 pm 
comanche

quote:
Originally posted by Rotwang:
In that case a drill will be fine for an Axe, one of our early Hammer bots used 2 drills for its weapon, for a pretend weapon one drill will be fine, just keep it light and you can leave the clutch on the drill so it doesn’t hurt itself.

I can help you with a sprocket that can go straight on a drill; works on ordinary push bike chain. Smile

you have a pm Smile

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:35 pm