www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Old member needs some advice........

Author    Thread
bigjimmy

Old member needs some advice........

Hey all,
Ive been a small part of robowars since the very beginning......and im looking to get back into it (Thanks to my newly aquired P plates and job)

Since I left the robowars scene ive sold my IBC and my old robot is sitting in the shed disused for years, (mainly due to school and lack of transport to events) But recently ive been thinking a lot about starting fresh with a new robot and now I have P plates I can actually go to events. And ive gained a lot of skills in the past few years that can help my future robot be an awful lot better than my previous one.

So what im wondering is where is the major source of larger featherweight weapon motors (if any)? And im also curious to hear how much mush robowars has progressed in the past few years ive been away. Though chances are with the HSC this year i may not have enough time to get anything started or finished soon.

Lol,while writing this post ive been reminiscing about the old days ov robowars.......good times........i realy look forward to getting back into the robowars scene (BTW, i was down in melborne during the school holidays and i was soooo annoyed when i found out i came home that weekend the robowars event at sidetracked was on Rolling Eyes )

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

For weapon motors Pick N' Payless has been the source for sydney, so perhaps another wrecking yard up there?
go fan motors ;->

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
maddox

bigjimmy , from far away Belgium I can ask you a lot of things.

But what weaponmotor is being driven in what respect. Is it a spinner motor, or something else?

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bigjimmy

Yeah, im like in the middle of NSW (Parkes aka middle of nowhere) so im kind of after a website (I just had a look at oatley and i looks like they dont have the same scooter motors they used to)

And the motor would be used for a spinner.......lol my favourite weapon

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

PnP is really the best for cheap and powerful motors. The left side and center motors in this pic come from Pick n Payless:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v424/dyrodium/?action=view&current=P7280104.jpg
Both would make very powerful spinner motors, all for under $15, usualy about $10.
If you're going to be coming to blacktown for the events you may as well make a trip to PnP it's only 5min or so away from the arena. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:41 pm 
bigjimmy

Sweet.....I dont come up to sydney very much, but ill have a look at this PnP shop if I do. Though im sure if I wanted to buy a motor off someone here postage wouldnt be too much from sydney would it?

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:22 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Another $10 to 10 for postage. at a guess. PnP is a self-serve junk yard - you turn up with a bag off tools and unbolt what you want - don't most country towns have a junk car yard? You could ask a panelbeater or mechanics business where car write-offs are disposed of.

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:28 am 
bigjimmy

How I would love a self serve junkyard. Yeah, theres a junk yard here, I went there a while back. The only problem is only poeple that work there can go out back and get the motors, and it was a bit hard for them to guess the kind of motor I needed (the people theyre are reallly unhelpful).

Plus if I got a motor off someone here at least I would know if it would be robot worthy lol

My advice, dont live in a small country town Laughing

Also, the reason why I dont know where to get motors from is because of the amount of junk stuff around my place, I found all the stuff I needed (so i didnt bother finding out where to get parts), which was ok for my shoddy first attempt at a robot. But if I do get around to building a bot anytime soon it will be A LOT less shoddy than my first lol

EDIT: BTW, Is it still ok to use my 36Mhz radio? Or have the rules tightened up since ive been gone?

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:07 am