www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Judging - DCSA system
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
assassin

[quote=
@assasin - waiting for the last 30 seconds is not a good idea unless you are likely to score a knockout - the judges are supposed to consider the entire match, not just a last minute frenzy by one bot. In practice a strong finish may sway the judges a bit, but its not supposed to.

after we decided to have the judges keep their actual points secret and just award "higher damage" to Bot A or Bot B, the amount of actual damage became irrelevant, it is simply a matter of who did *more* damage than the other. If its scratches vs none, then scratches win the damage point.
[/quote]

Just my view on things:

The last 30 seconds thing was part of my whole 3 min strategy, conserve power and try and be on par with points. Then working with how well I know the bot, feel and time my last full burst of aggression and swing the match my way(the crowd would like that too!). This is the best time to put your energy into full on attack because you have had 2 and a half minutes to warm up and get into the zone! The main things that went wrong were I didn't know how much time was left(I also asked) and I didn't have a good feel for how long 3 mins was @ Robowars 4 for some reason.

Maybe I make things I little complicated(thats just me), what I now need to do is the same but leave a greater room for error to help the judges.

I don't have the probs with the judges and I know they will consider the entire match, I do have an issue with a comment made earlier about judges being influenced by previous battles thou.

....Arh running out of time....

in short.....I think the control in the match was far more one sided to Eleanor and many would agree......need more time to explain....

Also:
"sitting still and waiting for your opponent to drive into your weapon does not count for aggression points" - this would seem to apply to a stationary wedge to me, since the wedge is the weapon, so even if the attacker is merely launching off the wedge, it is still considered aggression.

I agree with that, thats cool....but if you look @ the vid I guess my loophole plan to that was to move towards Reboot(even if I was slow) when he attacked eg I tried to NEVER be still when he attacked me! I think I was a bit slow once or twice thou from memory and didn't move.....gottogo

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:49 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Grudge Match and call it a day already Rolling Eyes

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:43 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Valen:
reboot V elanore
I gave it to elanore.
reboots damage was minor, and elanore seemed to be more aggressive.
"agile mobile and hostile" ;->

To me scratches don't count. When you get to the gouge level then it starts to matter.
Damage to me is related to the effect it has on the bot. A few small dints in a thin shell are nothing much. Bolts coming out , Torn metal is getting serious. Chunks falling off is bad (if they aren't meant to come off). Something that actually directly hinders the opponent is the best you can do short of a KO. IE bending his armor such that his wheels don't touch the ground anymore (or just barely so). Provided the bot being bent is well built then the attacker gets lots of points for that.

Some of us would really like to see the NSW judging criteria and event rules before making the trip up.
Last time was very confusing with 3 free unsticks for some bots and count out for others etc.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:18 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
Control scores equally to damage in our system.

Have to admit am a bit surprised at that comment, for some reason was under the impression that in Vic judging damage was worth more than the other categories and that style was the last category making it DCAS not DCSA.

Dont the categories get weighted down in that order?
Thats what I thought for some reason, my strategy was to put the A before the S but if the S goes first then no wonder I lost Very Happy

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:49 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

<piss taking>
You mean, to win battles, you actually have to win Question
No wonder I've lost so many matches Laughing Laughing
</piss taking>

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:09 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

As far as the RoboWars judging is concerned, there is no weighting on any of the DCAS categories.. The order I mention them is random acording to whether I type DCAS, DCSA or whatever at the time.

Prior to RoboWars 4, the actual points assigned by each judge were counted, making it possible for a judge to weight the categories according to their preference by for example only assigning 2 points for style but 10 points for damage.

but Robowars 4 onwards, the "final output" from each judge that is tallied up is simply "Robot A was more aggressive, Robot B had more style, Robot A did more damage, Robot A had better control", which removes any judge-biased weighting of categories.

Of course the hard part is making sure that the non-competitor judges (Marc DeCarlo and Mark Nauman (Sidetracked) are up on the nuances of judging that we all discuss here.. Hence the judging guidelines sheet rather than the gut-feel approach

The competitors would probably make better judges than trying to explain all this to non-competitors, but then you get into State Bias and other messy areas.

If anyone wants to volunteer to be the judge-dave of Australia and fly around to all the events but not compete, just let me know.. Wink

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
The competitors would probably make better judges than trying to explain all this to non-competitors, but then you get into State Bias and other messy areas.
I would like to see us try judging the fights by secret ballot of all competitors (not including the two in the arena). I trust my fellow roboteers to judge based on what they saw in the arena and not on any other considerations.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:32 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Hard to do when half the builders are working on their robots in the pits and the other half is somewhere else Smile

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:38 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

We considered that idea in the past Philip - the problem is you cant always count on *all* the competitors being present to watch every fight.

Often at a big event, some are absent, visiting the canteen, repairing bots or whatever, which means you dont have consistent judging from round to round - sometimes its hard enough just tracking down the 3 judges.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

How good is human cloning research going these days? Maybe we could clone Judge Dave Laughing

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:59 pm 
assassin

Does the idea of live scoring appeal to anyone? If you had a point system in place this wouldn't be hard to implement and would suit me Smile .

I guess the problem with a point system is the two combatant's can be completely different in design, so maybe a end goal would be an idea. Such as 'Dominance' and if its too close call it a draw.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:17 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

weve done the secret ballot system at marayong for as long as i can remember Smile we find most drop tools for 3 minutes to come watch a fight.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:41 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

That probably depends on how often you have fights Smile

Most builders manage to head over for most fights, but not always, I know I miss some now and then when I'm in repair mode

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:01 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol then dont vote on the fight Razz you can always bargain on at least 5 which is the number we use

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:05 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Valen:
To me scratches don't count. When you get to the gouge level then it starts to matter.
Damage to me is related to the effect it has on the bot. A few small dints in a thin shell are nothing much.
I strongly agree with Vallen on this point.

Points should not go either way when the armour withstands the attack of a KE weapon IMO. I see scratches on armour in the same way as wheels leaving rubber on the arena floor. That is what is supposed to happen. You expect you armour to get scratched over time and you expect the rubber on your wheels to get worn down over time. It is a different matter if either one gets torn to pieces during a fight.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:53 pm