www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

buying stuff internationally

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

buying stuff internationally

hey all,

im just trying to buy something off a US builder, (a pair of dewalts to be specific) and i have absolutely no idea how to go about paying him and which shipping service to use etc..

can any one whos done this before give me abit of advice?

do i just put the money in his paypal account and nominate a carrier and its all fine? (UPS)

Confused holy crap im so lost right now lol

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Eather send him a us postal money order from the post office which is what i do costing the envolope and $8.50 on top of the amount you are sending or pay him using paypal but you have to set up an account and have a credit card to put money in the paypal account and as for postage just get it send normal unless you want to pay big moneys for express.

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:03 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

yah beware things getting shipped from companies
you want them to put "toy parts" or something on there with a value of $0 or something. perhaps "Enginering samples only"
otherwise you may get hit with GST.
also beware some courier companies they will hit you with a $45 customs fee even if there is no reason to.

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I would try Paypal if you have a credit card you can use; there is more buyer protection if you get ripped off. I set up an account (boring but easy) so I could sell stuff, but you don't need to if you are just buying and the other guy has an account.

For shipping, there is a service called US Post office International Parcel Post. Its a cheap air post that takes around 10 to 14 days and costs WAY less than DHL type private services. They have a faster version that might get here in less than 10 days for a few dollars more.

There is an Australian customs code for all sorts of model toys that carries no import duty so get the customs form marked "parts for toy robot", its always worked for me. With packages undr $500 declared value, there is a very good chance you will pay no GST either. If its a private sale, get the guy to declare them as "2nd hand parts for toy robot" and a low value and your home free Smile

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:42 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah paypal is what im doing, cheers on the carrier advice though, i was looking through UPS and it was suggesting something like $108 for the fast service argh!?

US Post office International Parcel Post, ill have a look at it now

Post Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger