www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

The RoboWars Computer Tech Support Department
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 66, 67, 68  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

computer fuggage here...

my computers done this 3 times before and its shyting me up the wall now. usually the computer will hibernate and you just touch the power button and it comes back to life... but sometimes itll just turn itself off and then when you go to restart it this is what it says....

STOP:c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

sometimes itll just start working again after a while but it hasnt so far..... and the only thing you can do at the moment is hit F8 on startup to access that little setup menu because it basically goes to the error screen as soon as you turn it on (after the startup message)

PWEASE i need massive help here lol, this damn computer is pw0ning me right now lol

Post Wed May 18, 2005 6:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

is your computer up to date with service packs and updates?

Post Wed May 18, 2005 7:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

nope, i only got a message asking to update once and just said no... the tafe peeps usually want it back the way you took it.

Post Wed May 18, 2005 7:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

if you dont keep it up to date with windows update you *will* be infected with viruses and the like
especially as you are using IE for the net

bring it over next time and we'll update it
that explains alot of the problems you are having, its like not checking the oil in your car, its fine most of the time, but when its not you are owned.

hibernating in XP with IDE drives is a known problem that has been fixed with some service packs and some hotfixes.

check to see if you are running service pack 2 or not

Post Wed May 18, 2005 7:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The best thing you can do to avoid Internet related trouble is to dump Internet Explorer.. seriously.

I use Opera (Mozilla is good too), and I have *never* had a piece of Spyware/Adware or Virus get past it. Using Internet Explorer is like leaving the door to your house wide open to anyone who feels like wandering in.. Especially if you spend any time wandering around the "seedier" areas of the 'net. (free music, wares, whatever)

Apart from that, heres a link to a specific microsoft page about that STOP error.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315241

Also, googling for the specifix stop error code (including the 0x at the start) will always turn up a heap of pages with suggestions, since Stop Errors are one of the hardest things to debug on WinXp/2000. Heres a direct link to some google results for you.
http://www.google.com/search?q=0xc0000221&sourceid=opera&num=100&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Good luck with it..

Post Thu May 19, 2005 8:35 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I use firefox, it's really good too. Yeah, internet explorer is SO bad...seriously, take the time to download a free, yet much better internet browser, and your troubles with viruses seriously just disapear! Very Happy
Also yeah, internet explorer has a BIG hole in the program letting other programs install crap without letting you know!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu May 19, 2005 8:52 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i use firefox too and personally if it wasnt for the whole virus thing i would dump it in the recycle bin straight away because frankly using it is possibly the most annoying thing..

it will randomly flick between windows, time out with the greatest ease, and often just starts going back through pages which has resulted in me loosing tons of huge posts on the forum... so yeah apart from the virus'...

thanks for the links too

Post Thu May 19, 2005 9:16 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

really? doesn't happen with me. Confused

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Thu May 19, 2005 9:25 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

of course, its just my *knack* with computers.

anytime im within a 500m radius of one it must instantly cease normal operation

Post Thu May 19, 2005 9:29 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Oh glen, don't forget you can CONFIGURE these browsers... you can probably fix all these problems you are having in the tools section. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Thu May 19, 2005 9:30 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lmao obviously, come on your talking to no 1 in IPT here Surprised (yes it is most definitely a crappy system if that can happen hehe)

damn i wish i had a computer for linux

Post Thu May 19, 2005 9:33 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I run Opera, mainly because I hated IE's "each window hogs up your task bar space" thing.
OT:Windows is fine, it does it job with minimal fuss if you look after your system. Linux can be a real PITA if your not familiar with anything else but Windows. I remember spending the first week just trying to get my Lucent modem to work in Linux Mandrake and trying to get MP3's to play with out having to use the Kill command to stop the frozen player.

I'm going to try Gentoo or Fudora soon.

Post Thu May 19, 2005 9:38 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Mandrake 10.1 (now called Mandriva) is the easiest of the Linux packages to get going so far if you're thinking about going Linux.

Its amazing how much stuff just plugs in and goes now. Even an obscure Digital Camera and a Palm Pilot that WIndows XP requires drivers installed for just plugged'n'played on it.

If someone is looking for a Linux system you can give to your Grandma, then apparently Lindows/Linspire or Xandros are pretty easy too, but I havent tried them myself yet.

I hear the latest rumour is that Microsoft is considering buying RedHat Linux. That's going to ruffle a few feathers in the Linux camp if it happens.. Probably be good for Mandriva though, since I reckon a lot of people will immediately ditch RedHat..

Post Thu May 19, 2005 9:55 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I was looking at Mandriva as well, but was advised by a Linux guru at TAFE that Gentoo is a bit more flexible when you want to customise things and muck around with configurations.

You don't happen to have a copy of the latest version of Mandriva do you Brett Wink I'm chasing a linux setup for this computer once I get my new AMD

Post Thu May 19, 2005 10:15 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Werent you just complaining about having to muck around with configurations ?? Rolling Eyes

Yes, Mandrake isnt as totally customisable as some of the more hardcore Linux distro's, but unless you're already at "Guru" level, then thats not a bad thing IMO. At least until you reach the level where you want to muck about with it, rather than just have it work because someone else has already done the mucking about for you..

I have Mandrake 10.1 on CD (4) and DVD (1). I dont have Mandriva yet, but I'm getting a copy off a friend in the next few days.. I dont know how much has changed or whether its just a rebranding until the next version though.

Post Thu May 19, 2005 10:29 pm