www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Forum Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Nowadays, most ISPs have a contract clause that allows them to boot users off at once for hacking, particularly if you have details and a list of damages (and perhaps your solicitor's name Wink). If they DON'T take action, they are tacitly aiding the hacker and since they have money while the kiddies don't, they get sued.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:27 pm 
colin

good to see things back together.

PHP BB regularly have updates and I assume there is email list you can join to find out straight away. From what I've seen about XX.8 vulnarabilties it looks like a SQL will let you extract the password hash for any user from the DB. if that the case he would have most likely taken control of spockie's account (I trust you've changed your password now)

you need to always keep up-to-date with BB and CMS systems to prevent this sort of thing happening.

[edit] bulk email sent out also has his IP if that helps (also says which account he used...you changed that password right?)

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:51 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

only possible hitch
but unlikley is that he was using a proxy
given the language he sounds too dumb to be doing that

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
Maybe he wont be force-fed his testicles by them, but he might get his modem taken away for a week by mummy with some luck..

Damn

Seeing the forum down and getting the hack message was like the morning I woke up and found someone had broken into my car but didn't steal anything. It just pisses me off.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

We are lucky to have Brett. Live long and prosper.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:33 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Ididnt event know the site had been corupted and i check the forums every day good work Brett for geting it fixed so quick ...i think the thing probaly wasnt the problem of the BB and Cms(what ever they are ) not being up dated but was more likely that Brett hasnt had the time to do the updateing until it was too late and then probaly had even more work to remove and repair what ever damage this hacker did to the site ..once again Good workBrett for spoting the problem and geting it fixed so quickly i hope every one else apreciates all your efforts to keep this site up and running amoungst al the other work that you do for the sport ... Very Happy

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:02 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well, actually I hadnt subscribed to the phpBB mailing list, so I wasnt aware there was a critical vulnerability that had been fixed.. so I have subscribed now. [sigh] another thing to keep on top of..

I did look at updating the version a while back, but didnt go ahead at the time, because there are a few customisations that took a fair bit of work to setup initially, and I wasnt sure on how to proceed with the update without wiping out my customisations..

Thanks to the actions of our friend, I had to figure all that out this morning. The patching proceedure (to preserve those customisations) and correction of the .php files that didnt match the expected code for the patch, then resync'ing and updating the structure of the database all took up about 4 hours of time

Mel's probably growled at you because she thought you were having a dig at me for not keeping the forum up-to-date, and she is one of the people who gets to see how much work does regualrly go into keeping it running normally.

Who remembers how unstable the ABBL forum was ? how many database crashes, hacks and downtime did it suffer ? By comparison, how often has this forum been offline for more than an hour ? and have we ever lost data ?

That kind of reliability takes a good host ($$), regular backups, and constant monitoring.

Thanks to all those who SMS'd me early this morning letting me know it was down.. I was straight out of bed and onto it for 4hrs, even pushing back the work I had scheduled for that day which caused me to be out working until 11pm tonight catching up..

So if you sparked Mel's ire, just remember, she's a firey red-head and often springs to my defense more "enthusastically" than I myself would.. Smile

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

As one IT pro to another, you did stellar work today Exclamation I havn't had a site I managed hacked yet, but I doubt I would have responded as cool and calmly as you did and getting the site back up in 4 hours with patches is FAR better than the industry average. Hats off to Brett!

BTW: did you have to recover from a backup tape, or just reconfigure and patch?

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:24 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Spockie- Tech - I've asked you 3 times before and I'll ask again. Besides your time and expertise you put in to maintain and develop this magnificent info/communication place, you also pay ($$$) for the 'pleasure' of doing so.
Can I help with the $$'s side?
If me (and all other active participants in Australia) was to send you $5 or $10, we should at least pay for the site.....

It's sort of weird but it feels like I'm getting something for nothing...
...and it doesn't feel right.

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:11 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The offer to help out with the hosting costs is appreciated, but its not really something I feel comfortable accepting.. honestly.

I wasnt complaining about the cost of hosting it at colin, just pointing out that he complains a lot about people not appreciating his offers of help when what the sport really needs is more builders, event organisers and people who make things happen rather than those who just tell others what they should be doing better.

As someone who has actually gone and built their own arena, you definitaly dont fall into that category, so your offer of financial assistance, while appreciated, isnt necessary.. I would prefer that you put your time/energy/$ into your events and help the sport along in Queensland as you do..

RoboWars is a hobby for me, I expect that my hobbies will cost money, and its not as expensive as some hobbies I've had in the past (Gyrocopters were expensive Wink Cars even more so).

I'm happy seeing the sport move along and people have fun, the cost of operating the website is a drop in the ocean compared to putting on a big event.

If I have to push the hosting up another plan or so because of increased traffic charges, then I might start accepting donations, but thanks to one of my clients having major unused hosting capacity they generously allowed me to use to host the video-clips, I managed to reduce the megabyte-load on the Forum server by moving the video's over there and keep it in the current 6-gigabyte/month plan.

As I've often said before, the best thing you can do to make me feel "appreicated" is build some cool robots, have fun and enjoy the sport.

Knowing that this forum helps facilitate that is reward enough for now..

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

That script kiddy needs "pwn3d'd" Evil or Very Mad

We lost our Freesco router and PHPBB Forums at TAFE around a month ago from similar crap. They trashed our little router, fecked up my forums(I'm administrator) and damaged the SQL management system in one go. According to my fellow security officer Andrew, he was logging around 100-120 IP address bouncing in from korea, russia and china every day. He managed to keep our network safe for around 3 weeks before someone got in and trashed the place.

Once again, Brett goes above and beyond duty Exclamation

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:55 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

three cheers for brett
hip hip hurray

i reacon with out this site up and running wa wouldn't have found it way in to this great sport we still would have been 6 years behind when it caught up with us.
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:47 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Enough with the plaudits already.. Embarassed. Thanks guys, but no need to go over the top..

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
did you have to recover from a backup tape, or just reconfigure and patch?

Fortunately there was no damage done to the SQL databases, so it was just a reconfigure-and-patch job.

The hard part that took the time was meshing the new updated code with the mod'ed code of the present forum (With photo album and a few customisations). Quite a few of the automatic patch hunks failed and had to be manually tweaked into the .php files. All up it took around 4 hours.

HostingShop (the web-host) backs up the entire site every day, every week and every month, so as long as we spot any problems within 1 day, then even if the database got damaged, we would just have to roll back 1 day.

Even If I didnt get the restore-request in within one day, and their daily backup was overwritten with a damaged version, at worst we would have to resort to a week-old backup.

In addition, I usually offsite-backup the database to my machine about once a week through phpBB's backup facility, so I think we are fairly well protected from any permanent catastrophic data loss..

That should help reassure some people that we're not going to disappear just because of some dumb vandal.. Smile

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:59 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Is this just a glitch in the forum software or are we really pulling 160+ people at once? If so, We're More Popular Then Chocolate Muffins!

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:12 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Nope its not a glitch we are just really populer. Very Happy

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:22 pm