www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Learning electronics

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Learning electronics

OK this is kinda off topic, i've been trying to teach myself electronics through kits, but i don't really like them as its more like a model then learning electonics, so...

I got myself a wishboard/veroboard today and was wondering what are some good circuits to start off with, i'm currently past simple non component circuits and am experimenting with a 555 ic at the moment, abd will be ordering a picaxe sometime in the future. Very simple please! Very Happy
Thanks

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:40 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

You could build a BEC circuit for your radio with a power LED connected with it. It's fairly simple, involves a little bit of maths(resistor values) and get you playing with some different components (Regulators, LEDs, Caps, Resistors, Diodes) and it will work in your robot!!!!

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:31 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Think of something you want to do and then work towards that.. Electronics is much more fun when the widget you have built can be useful for something practical.

One of the best ways I know of to get started is to get one of Tandy Electronics (yes, I'm serious) "200 in 1" (or whatever number they're up to now) kits.

A bunch of resistors, caps, and assorted components assembled on a funky colored board in a box with spring terminals, and a big book of interesting circuits to play with. The best part is you can build the circuit as described in the book, then easily move the wires around to try different values of components and see what effect they have. I had one as a kid, and I bought one for Mel a few years back when she wanted to have a tinker about with some electronics. Still got it in the cupboard somewhere..

Highly reccomended as a great beginners tool..

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Your spot on there brett,

Those tandy kits are really good, I started on them as well. make shure it's a kit with springs on the components though else there not so good.

You could even prototype with the picaxe using one of the tandy kits, (micro's might be a bit ahead of you yet though)

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:05 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm ok, i'll check them out! Micros arn't too far ahead of me..... but i think a BEC is a good idea, i read about them a little while ago. Thanks! Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:03 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm i'm not going to open a new topic about this, but i just registered myself and my music on mp3.com.au Smile

You can find my artist link here: http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=24328
Oh and if you don't like electronic music stop now! Very Happy Oh and please exuse the track names... i make them up on the spot. Embarassed

For anyone who would know about electronic music, i use cubase 5 32VST, and use only free VST instruments... my top ranking are the SR-202 drum machine and SUPERWAVE (BEST!) as well as triangle I and II. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:43 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

W00t, building successful mid range kits now... and they work!? Laughing
Hehe my dad want's me to attempt the theramin kit, however that alot of money to end up with a chunk of nothingness... Confused
I'm doing physics and dt this year (yr 11), so i hope dearly there'll be some sort of electronics brushed over in either... however i'll probably be way more advanced than what they teach us... Sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

electronics in physics isnt that bad, its just all stuff youll never use in robots like vacuum tubes and junk like that.

Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

hehe I built two theremin kits.

One for me (didn't work properly for some still unknown reason!) and one for a friend (which worked perfectly!)

They're a weird thing to troubleshoot!

Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Cool! Yeah they look alittle complex... I still want to get into programing picaxe's. I'd love to make a one way PWM weapon controler for cataclysm Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:07 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Angus: Off topic, but I noticed you used Cubase. How many VST instruments can you load up? Wink I have some nice ones like Native Instrument's Pro52 and a range from Linplug, not to mention some giant Drum and synth sample CDs and loop CDs. Perhaps we could trade something?

Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:56 pm