www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

safeteh goggles...

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

safeteh goggles...

well today was an awesome day... anyone remember how i was bitching about my sore eyes all through the week on msn.... well woke up today with the most insane pain in my eyes and basically couldnt open them so after alot of getting rushed around between places finally got to westmead hospital....

turns out i had like 4 pieces of steel wedged deep into one of my eyes so after having them peel my eye lid open with these big paper clip thingies then sit there for 2 hours with a hyperdermic needle extracting it... HOMYGAWD that is the most painful thing ever, he wouldnt even ive me any morphein or nitrous either Mad

so now my eye has a big rust patch in it that i have to go back in to get fixed monday after next... i swear i will never use any power tool without safety googles again and if i see anyone else doing it i will rip thine genitals from out there pants Razz

it was actually rather scary getting told you might go blind by the end of the day Shocked

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Shocked

Didnt you notice large bits of steel landing in your eye??

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:38 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

no actually lol they reckon i might have rubbed it into my eyes and it just dissolved in there but i still was stupid enough to grind without them Confused

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

That is good news. You could have easily lost the use of your eyes.

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:59 pm 
andrew

Glen im glad this happened ad u wisened up (well hopefully a little).

When i heared i was a little alarmed and glad glen was alrite caus few years back woke up to a eyeball nearly poking outa my head and feeling like death and went to bed and slept all day and stayed up all night vomiting and next day when i cudlnt keep tablets down went to hospital and stuff, found out i was bout to go blind and they rushed me into sugery caus all the gunk and mucas and crap was trapped and building up and forcing eyeball outa head.

But unlike u i got morphein, WOOOOT. sucker

anyways glad your aight and better safety measures in future when working on robots as i am self proclaimed safest guy in the universe Razz Very Happy :S

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:12 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Getting the rust stain out is also fun ..ive had it done before the doctor i went to puts drops in my eyes then used a little dentist drill thing with a burr atachment on it and basicly scarified the top layer of skin on my eyeball and flushed it with lots of steril water ...you basicly get anohter couple of days feeling some one has put sand back in your eyes ..hope you dont have to go through that . Shocked

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:24 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I can top all of that - hospitalised for 21 days totally blind. It wasn't workshop related so I won't go into the gloopy details...

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:32 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I have a few pairs of deep rimmed Sunglass I use for welding, copped a piece of hot steel off the bench grinder one day and it hit my eye lid (Lucky not my eye) and it left a small burn mark... I have religiously worning something over my eyes ever since that day...

I like my prevelidge to see, I intend to keep it that way Laughing

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:58 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

When Nick the builder finished my workshop, he told me that a builder has only three tools, his ears, his eyes and his hands... Loose any of them and you can no longer be a builder, and you can't get a refund Laughing
I use my glasses a lot of the time, but will probably now do for a lot more... sorry to hear about that glen! So much for PnP XD

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:39 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
I can top all of that - hospitalised for 21 days totally blind. It wasn't workshop related so I won't go into the gloopy details...

Was that when your wife found out you had bought two Magmotors @ nearly $1000 each ? Cool

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:41 pm 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

@ Glen.
Funniest thing I heard all week! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:18 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

sun glasses really arent all that much protection from impact type things.
basically they suck.

Get tinted saftey glasses if thats what you want. They are made of toughened polycarb, sunnies are usually perspex and will shatter with any decent sort of impact.
$10-20 at bunnings.

You can also get welding saftey glasses/anti-flash glasses that are like shade 3 or so (or you can get clear ones that block IR and UV, not ok if you happen to stare at the arc but better than nothing, and good if you are looking at the reflections alot) and you just wear those all the time your around welding or actually doing it.

Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Nick:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was that when your wife found out you had bought two Magmotors @ nearly $1000 each ?

Nah, I explained that the exchange rate was good that week and got off with some broken fingers Laughing Laughing . More seriously, Deb is cool with the robot hobby as long as I win occasionally.

Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:49 am