www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Bush Fires

Author    Thread
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Bush Fires

Just wanted to express my sympathy to all those who have lossed there lives and family and friends in the bush fires.

Entire towns near me have been wiped out its scary to think how fast fire can spread.

There are still fires in and around close to my town and one was out of controle yesterday up the road from me.

It really angers me to think that there are f%&*^)g idiots that go out and light these fires!

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:06 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Re: Bush Fires

Yeah it makes me sad that people can die so quickly and in a terrible way.

quote:
Originally posted by Cell Damage:
It really angers me to think that there are f%&*^)g idiots that go out and light these fires!

I tend to believe any time they can't explain a fire through natural causes, ie lightning strikes, they believe they are deliberately lit. I wonder if there are other possibilites that aren't people lighting them. For instance could a discarded glass bottle generate sufficient heat to smolder some dry grass?

Not saying pyros aren't around, just considering all possibilities.

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:02 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Yes agreed fires can start from decomposing materials in the bush like compost type thing.

Just angered me today when a little kid on tv said he saw someone throw a cig butt in the grass then there was fire everywhere Evil or Very Mad

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:06 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I've seen a bottle start a bush fire first hand.
We arrive home once and there was smoke coming from the bush near the house.
When we went down to check it out there was a few square metres of fire and a bit of bottle in the middle.
Luckily we were able to put it out before it burned through hundreds of acres of bush (and a house or two!)

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mel
Site Admin

Re: Bush Fires

quote:
Originally posted by Cell Damage:
Just wanted to express my sympathy to all those who have lossed there lives and family and friends in the bush fires.

Ditto.Sad

Marysville - one of the most beautiful places on earth. R.I.P .

Saw the fire helis roaring to the rescue as I drove along the highway in the heat.

To Brian and Moiree - farewell and R.I.P. Crying or Very sad

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:52 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Coming home today i stopped on the side of the road on a hill just before my house i could see bush fires full 360 around the outer sides of my town in the towns around me which means any wind change and one of them could blow in and be on my doorstep Shocked

The fires are getting closer toward lilydale Sad

A lady i work with lives in hillsvile which is like 20mins drive from me and she said last night she coulds see fires near her house.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

take care Tim

Emergency relief centre is located at Lilydale Recreation Reserve, Main Rd Lilydale. (Melways Ref. 270 D12)

Please be safe Tim. Let us know if you need accomodation - you know where we are. If you need a lift, call us.

We phoned a friend at St Andrews earlier today to see if she was ok and she had lost a mate/friend in the fires on Saturday. He was all packed with the car running and was just about to drive off when he ran back into the house to get something... the house exploded. Sad

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:15 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks mel hopefully the weather will stay cooler and the wind calm and the fires will not spread much further.

First signs of fire in lilydale ill be leaving as after hearing people say i saw the fire in my paddok so i ran to my car and in that 30 seconds my house was allready on fire i swere iv heard about 20 people say thats all the time they had. One man ran to his car opened the door then ran back inside grabbed a photo of a shelf came back out and his car was on fire! Theres just no time to stuff around.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:30 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

best wishes

its more then a fire now its a fire storm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g-7Ulb6r5s&feature=related fires just coming out of no where Shocked total insanity.

hope to hear from everyone down there and hope all are well throughout this

if your in its path dont take your time getting out, everything is replaceable,,

makes you wonder why they didnt buy the water bombing units for the hercules all that time back Sad

best wishes to all

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mel
Site Admin

Thanks Glen. Much appreciated.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:19 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

Year sevens at my school aren't having camp this year since King Lake's burnt down. A friend of mine also can't go to a church camp because Marysville has burnt down, plus my primary school might not be able to go to camp because Healsville is either threatened or burnt down (didn't quite catch what the news said) and Wilson's Promontory has an ember threat.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:29 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

scary thing is my boss and me have a fishing trip planned with 10 other guys we know and he normally gose up bush and it was planned ages aggo for next week.

We could have easy planned to go last week and who knows what could have happened Shocked

He ses the trips still on but god knows where well go??

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:04 pm 
Collo

One of my hockey mates lives near Beechworth, so we gave him a call last night. He goes, yeah i can see the fire out one side, but the winds blowing the other way...so its all fine Confused

Other then that, most volunteers and well-wishes need to understand that helping out now is a short term assistance. The real hardship will be faced in 2weeks or 2months, when homes are still being built and business' are regrouping. These will be the times when help must continue, when the press move onto another headline, and volunteers believe everything is right again.

Chris

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:28 pm