www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Ideas Festival March 27 - 29 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That lighting sounds very low from our experience in Sydney. If those lights are only 500W each, I suggest hanging at least 1 or two extra in the centre of the arena to compete with the ambient sunlight.

The diagram shows a 'roving camera'; does that mean the matches will be on the big screen? that would be very cool!

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:47 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

The camera stup will be the same as last Ideas Festival. They were shown on the big screen as well last time.

Our arena has a lot more polycarb then the NSW arena and it located in an open, well lit venue. I doubt lighting will be too much of a problem and we don't have enough time and money to worry at the moment.

A news paper artical. So far its all that cut and pasted from the Ideas Festival website. But the picture might cause a problem
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/whatson/robowars-at-south-bank/2009/03/09/1236447109109.html

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:50 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Its just a suggestion - you generally want the focus of attention to be quite a bit brighter than the surroundings, no matter what the ambient light is. The guys at RG09 found that their lighting was far too dim last year after a box of lights went missing; their arena is all polycarb.

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:05 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

i can bring down 4x 500 watt haelogens if you can get them tagged or i will try to get them tagged here before i come down

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:49 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
The Green room will only be open for 2 hours on friday morning and 2 hours on sunday afternoon. It can't be used fo storage as that would require extra security that no one wants to pay for. So all gear needs to be taken home each night. Its a bit of a bugger, but if you look at the bright side at least we'll get some more exercise.

Thats not correct.
The marshaling rooms at the south end of the piazza will be open for one hour every morning and one hour in the afternoon. The rooms will be locked outside of these times.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
apparently if you buy a brand new power board and open it at the venue your allowed to use it i heard? correct? might be worth it to just buy a $5 board at the woolies.

Not according to the guy that does mine. It must be a earth leakage type and if new it can be tagged without testing if it is really new in its packet.
It still needs tag.

Last edited by Rotwang on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:46 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Starfish Prime has withdrawn and Orbit probably won't come, so that only leaves us with 3 NSW robots entered. I have recieved a few messages about a 4th robot but it doesn't sound like the interstate thing is too much to worry about anymore. Its a shame since I just got it all sorted out. Steve has still forgotten to sign up which leaves us with 21 or 22 robots. Regestration closes in 6ish days (next wednesday american time). So we won't beat Battlebots 31 robots.

Starfish Prime appeared to me to be the returning champion judging by the regestring email address.

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:54 am 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Uh, yeah, sorry about that. . . I'm more than a little pissed about having to withdraw - Why is it impossible to find a decent CNC place in Sydney that won't take less than a month to do what is a fairly simple job. . . Financial crisis my arse, everyone still seems to have plenty of work - Don't suppose anyone knows of CNC routing / milling place in NSW that can do stuff fast, well, like really fast now?

ffej.net

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

call Geoff at GTTooling: 0410492581

Depending on how complex it is and what format it's in he might be able to do it pretty quickly.
He programs the machine manually going from the drawing usually (ie not PC controlled)

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:28 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
seanet1310

So half the field is Vic bots so without rigging to stop state verse state vics will verse eachother as much as anyone else in theory.
at least 6 of the 11 vic bots have competed in at least 1 local vic event in 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andrew

dont cound me out yet there daniel

im home from work today with stomach ickyness and a sore head so prob wont do anything today but sleep and relax/recover but this weekend providing im healthy should see alot of progress

It will be tight but still very doable

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:11 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

So Starfish was Jeff all along? Let's hope the CNC gets done for another event if not this one.

@ all the NSW team guys: I have plenty of 3 pin mains plug to IEC cords with test tags - free for asking. My 8 way power board is getting tagged on Monday and I only need one or two outlets, so we can share the one board if you don't have a certified one.

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:54 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I'm just stirring to see what bobs up. Wink

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:07 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I was going to bring a few other bots as fillers or for some one el;se to drive if we needed to round up numbers but with no storagew there im not coing to be cartting them al back and forth ever day to the car Ive entered two bots but will probaly only be one on the dat when i get there i will, decide which one is running in the main event or wil offer one up for someone else to drive arron might have a driver for me i will let every one know onj the day if it needs a driver .

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:22 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:

Uh, yeah, sorry about that. . . I'm more than a little pissed about having to withdraw - Why is it impossible to find a decent CNC place in Sydney that won't take less than a month to do what is a fairly simple job. . . Financial crisis my arse, everyone still seems to have plenty of work - Don't suppose anyone knows of CNC routing / milling place in NSW that can do stuff fast, well, like really fast now?

put a router on the SMD machine. you know it needs to happen Laughing

what about here? http://www.accufabsolutions.com.au/machining.htm there in sydney apparently

pretty sure tim said he wont have the new KO or tactical strike done either so maybe that needs to get withdrawn (dont think hes got a computer)

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger