www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Disaster Recovery Plan

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

Disaster Recovery Plan

This is more related to work and I know a few people on here will be knowledge able. At the moment 'm pretty sure we don't have a brilliant Disaster Recovery Plan at work, and since it kinda lays in my lap, I want to look at working towards a solution.

At the moment we have 8 locations, with around 60-70 users that all connect back to HQ via VPN's to our mini-data center of 4 servers (domain controller, database server and2 terminal servers). Back ups are done daily of the whole servers to magnetic tape and stored at our parent company

Pretty much, if if the HQ gets burnt to the ground, we're in some troubles as the remote locations won't be able to function without us. I'm trying to find a simple way that if we lost the servers inf a fire, we can restore everything back onto new hardware ASAP. I've seen some information on the Symantec Backup System Recovery which is suppose to do cold images of the servers and be able to copy it all onto new hardware without driver failures/hardware mismatches/recreation of all security groups etc etc.

I've also thought about the possibility of using a data center, having everything hosted externally.

A little lost at where to go, it's a fair bit bigger then my disaster recovery plan for at home, which consists of SFA Razz

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:25 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Not sure if it helps, but my parents company does daily backup runs to a secure storage site, which also has a little disaster recovery book with everything needed in case of total catastrophe. Critical servers are also hosted offsite at places which have redundant power and all that. Another thing to consider is internet, which is fairly critical for any modern day company, they use two different main lines as well as having a wireless dongle for a last resort backup (which they had to use once xD). Razz

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:10 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

We've got a failsafe setup with dual internet connections and both the CEO and CFO have wireless 3G cards which can be plugged straight into the firewall for interwebz. We have backup generators and stuff for power outages.

Able to ask your dad what kind costs are involved with having the critical servers hosted in a data center?

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:42 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

DR is one of my main jobs for a 200+ server data centre Smile I love BESR and can walk you thru any scenarios. version 8.5 is pretty slick, but I wouldn't recommend it for backing up vast amounts of data. The best combination is to use BESR on the system partition and backup databases and large file systems to tape. For recovery, you can restore the sys drive to new hardware and get the big data back off tape.

You also need to have a way to move the BESR images off site; I like to use one server as a repository and have all the other servers create images into separate shares to keep things neat. I then back up all that to tape and send it off-site. BESR can also use FTP to make off-site backups directly if you have some bandwidth.

BESR can keep multiple backups in not much space by doing a full image and then doing much smaller incremental backups - I can keep a month's worth of weekly backups in hardly any more space than one full image. For system backups, more than a month is not much point.

Don't believe all the hype about driver replacement - its pretty good but you absolutely have to test it out to be sure! I have had it fail on occasion and its not fun to tell the boss that you have the data but its not usable.

What's your main tape backup program, I might be able to suggest something for that as well.

Most DR plans do an OK job of backing the data up, but a poor job with getting everything going again. At the last place I worked, the DR plan largely consisted of begging HP to deliver 20 servers on the next day Rolling Eyes - like that would ever happen!

I don't know if your management has any budget in mind, but if you can twist their arm, I would get a DR-only server that sits off-site (either switched off in a crate or live in a hosted data centre). You spec some fast disks and a huge amount of RAM then set it up as a virtual server host. If the main site goes down you can convert the BESR images directly to virtual servers (works for VMware, not sure about Hyper-V).

That's about as much as I can fit into a forum post, but happy to take it up in emails.

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:31 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I dont have a lot of experience with large scale Disaster Recovery Plans, so youd probably be better of listening to Nick.. but what about virtualising the servers ?

Then they can run on any hardware, under any OS that you can get the Virtualisation software running without caring what the hardware actually is.

Migration to beefier hardware, snapshots, backups, etc all easier that way, and supposedly they run pretty close to the bare metal speeds these days

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

We run Symantec Backup Exec for our backups. Each night it is backed up to a HP tape drive and an onsite 1TB NAS, the tape is taken offsite to our parent company and stored in their fire proof safe. Saturday nights we back up the server operating systems, the daily backups are incremental.

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:12 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Backup exec is a very good product, will work into any DR plan. I'm a bit busy tonite, but would be keen to take it up later. PM me your email address and we can make you an IT superhero Very Happy

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:31 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I'm with brett on this one, in non performance critical systems (ie you aren't "bound" by anything, cpu or disk i/o isn't pegged) I virtualise the servers.

you then snapshot them and rsync the snapshots, or just raw disk images to the backup site.

If your head office splodificates boot the VM's up at the backup site, do some creative routing and your set.

If you want more "rapid" recovery or a more up to date "backup" (assuming you have a decent internet connection) then you can use something like DRBD to run something like a RAID array to the backup site, depending on your needs you can decide if you will block on write until its confirmed as arriving at the backup site, until its sent, or just until its saved locally.

You then run OCFS or similar as the file system on that partition and you can then access the files from both sites simultaniously, whilst this is good for "backup" of files the big thing it gets you is the ability to "live migrate" your virtual machines.

Basically you can move which physical machine the guest is running on without disruption to the host. So if you want to upgrade the physical hardware on a machine, you migrate its guests onto another machine (where they will be somewhat slower as its now doing loads of work(possibly)) do your upgrade and migrate them back, all with no down time. (a delay of a few hundred ms is typical, but if your routing fabric can switch fast enough you wont even drop connections)

Same goes for when the bush fire comes migrate it on over the wire ;->
only big issue is you need a really phat pipe to do that, you need to transfer the contents of the VM's ram over the connection. Compression helps alot there.

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Virtualisation is all the rage and I fully agree its a good fit with DR plans - that is how most of our DR and test servers are going. Problem is, some tasks are a bit iffy on VM servers - busy mail and DB servers do not virtualise gracefully and can become less stable or impact performance of other virtual servers running on the same host.

To run VM hosts with any sort of redundancy, you need a SAN. Even a low-end SAN will cost a heap! We found that running VM servers on anything less than fast SAS disks really cruelled performance - this was with a $500K EMC Clariion SAN, not an entry level box. I'm just saying that a good corporate VM solution with redundancy and performance is never cheap. You can use NAS and iSCSI to do some good stuff, but performance will be lacking for busy VM clusters.

I'm not a real SAN expert, but I can bounce questions of our in-house guru, who is a real honest-to-god rocket scientist - he designed bits on Indian comms satellites! Laughing

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:05 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

We were suggested to look at the IBM S series blade chassis with H22 blades for the next hardware upgrade for our system, one of the points the externals pushed was the fact we would have SAN with it.

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:06 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Don't sign anything tomorrow! I went through a really deep study of blade servers and I wasn't at all impressed!

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:31 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

mail and especially DB can be replicated rather than virtualised, which gives you the benefit of performance gains as well as fault tolerance. Its a horses for courses thing VM isn't the answer to every problem, but when you have apps that don't scale well it can be a nice way of packaging stuff up.

disk IO can be quite expensive for VM's.
anything IO bound is going to run better with some form of network file system to keep the load in the CPU area.

I wouldn't have thought that iSCSI would have been that much of a performance hit Vs a SAN on comparable hardware with a suitable topology. What flavor of SAN are you running? and for what load

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number