www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

RC Gyro's in Bots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Eyce

I haven't done anything to the robot for a while. Gotta do something soon, gyro or not...

Post Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:26 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hey sam some advice on that veering off to the side problem -
a) obviously adjust the trims
b) reverse the polarity on the *MOTOR* wires on the IBC and then adjust the radio
c) switch the motor wires around, so the left motor goes to the right motor Input on the IBC and vice versa and adjust the radio.

it happens with cobra all the time when i put new drill motors into it.

Post Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brian

Gyro problems

I put a gyro in my bot and it worked ok. Went to show it off to some family the next day. When I turned it on, it started spinning and fussing.Shocked The transmitter was on but not in my hand. I had to hit the kill switch. I suspect that sitting in the sun in the back of my truck caused the problem. But I am really disappointed that the gyro appears to negate the IBCs fail-safes. Would a more expensive gyro not have this problem? Any comments would be welcome.

Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:02 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'm not sure if this will help anyone, and i'm not a gyro techie, but I've read on the UK forums that using a Head Locking Gyro is the best type of gyro you can use in a robot as it solves some of the issues.

Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:51 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I think "Heading Lock" is the term you were looking for there Aaron. Smile

It refers to the function of keeping a plane/helicopters heading (direction) constant (locked) despite random wind inputs. thats the sort of function you want to use in a bot to keep it going in a straight line, despite variations in motor power, traction, arena friction etc all trying to pull it off line.

I dont know exactly what a gyro does when its input servo signal (from the radio) is invalid (which would trigger a failsafe in the IBC), but if it ignores invalid inputs and just proceeds along keeping the last valid command on its outputs, then I'm not surprised that they would override the failsafes.

You would need to ask the RC guys whether some models of Gyro can pass invalid signals (unlikely), or fit an RC failsafe unit upstream of the Gyro I'd imagine.

Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

I think the problem with the gyro with the IBC failsafe is that as you said earlier Brett, when Voltronic was pushed side ways, the drives kicked in and tried to correct the movement, which I believe means, the Gyro can genereate it's own signals to moves the servo outputs, even with out the reciever telling it so. This would instantly feed the IBC with a fully clean signal most like interference free, but still causing a hazard as it will be out of the drivers control.

Just my theory anyway. Correct me any techies if I'm wrong

Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:22 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

The gyro I have (Hobbico Multi-Purpose Micro Piezo Gyro) only modifies the input servo signal so does not have failsafes nor does it work if the receiver is off.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Something i was thinking about yesterday.

If you where using a gyro and broke a gearbox on one of your drive motors "say you where using 4 motors or some motors that if stalled would blow the ibc" when some other bot is pushing you around the gyro would sence that your not telling the reciver to do so thus the gyro trys to correct the steering and becuase the gearbox is jammed or broken the bot wouldent move thus making the gyro try harder and so on increasing the power to that motor when it is stalled and would kill your ibc.

Is that right?

Post Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:30 pm 
3Faze

Gyro's are for girls Razz

All I do is run the spinner in the same direction as the c**p drive motor Smile

Post Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:01 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Is the word "crap" concidered offensive in the UK?

Post Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:15 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

@ Tim :

quote:
gyro trys to correct the steering and becuase the gearbox is jammed or broken the bot wouldent move thus making the gyro try harder

I've only had a little tinker with these Gyro's so far, but as far as I understand their behaviour so far, the gyro doesn't sense the bot NOT moving, but only when it moves in a way that was not commanded by the receiver does it apply a correction signal.

So if your receiver is saying "sit still" or "go straight ahead" and the gyro senses a turn, it will apply a correction signal to try and pull the bot back into a straight line, but only for as long as the bot is actively turning. Once the bot stops turning, the gyro will stop applying a correction signal.

So if you push the bot off-line in some way, the motors will fight the turn, but only while it is actually turning, once it settles on the new (wrong) direction, the gyro will stop fighting it and allow it to continue in this way. Of course, if you have traction then the gyro will have pushed the bot back onto line during the turn.

I think you can also get "heading lock" gyro's (heading is the direction you are pointing in airplane-speak), which will continue to apply a correction signal until the gyro is pointed back in the actual direction it was last before the error-movement occured, but I dont think these are typically used in bots.

So, if you did have a dead side on your drive, a normal gyro would fight against it when the uncommanded turn occured, but only for as long as you were trying to go straight, it wouldnt go into a "I'm going to keep trying to drive this dead motor until we're back to where I wanted to go" mode until the IBC fried.

Once you stop trying to go straight, it would stop trying to keep you straight, so in the sense of the load placed on the controller, its not much worse than a system without a gyro would be.

--

from what I've seen so far, a Gyro's main advantage is in a 2-wheel drive bot that doesnt have its weight suspended over the wheels. Or maybe if the motors arent exactly equal in timing or power.

If you have a drive-and-skid-plate system (like Scoopy Doo), then the gyro helps keep you on-track when one of the wheels loses traction a bit (due to having less weight on it when the bot is suspended on its other 3 contact points) while going in a straight line.

Without the gyro, Scoopy tends to veer sideways a little when a full-power straight-line charge is suddenly commanded, requiring you to put in a little side-stick to keep it going straight - and you have to be quick on the reactions.. with the Gyro, if you slam the stick forward, it does this for you, and Scoopy just charges straight ahead without any side-input from the driver.

On a 4 Wheel bot like yours, I dont think they would be of much help, since the extra wheels help keep it in a straight line.

It *might* also help in a bot that has a low fricion drive (braking effect) .. like scooter motors, since they tend to "over-steer" and keep rolling in the direction you were turning in my experience.. A gyro should sense this over-steer and automatically apply some "opposite lock" stick to help stop the turn as soon as you let go of the stick..

Rob had a brief go with one on ReBoot on the weekend and didnt seem to like it much, but he's pretty good at driving scooter-driven bots now, and is probably used to automatically applying a little opposite-stick to stop turns promptly. I'd like to try driving something like Reboot with and without one and see what the difference is when you dont have a lot of practice without one.

Post Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:40 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

One reason I probaly won't use a gyro in any of our bots is that I tend to drift drive our robots, using traction loss as an advantage. Some people may remember T2M doing a lot of power slides at RoboWars, and the QLD guy would have seen me drift racing Cheese Shredder in the matches against Haemorrhage & Marauder.

I agree with Brett on the fact that you will mostlikely not need a gyro on a 4WD robot. If you running a a mini vertical blade for your weapon, you will have a built in gyro that should give you even more straight line ability.

@Brett: Did you buy a gyro for Scoopy so Mel doesn't have as many problems to worry about when driving?

Post Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:26 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

^ i wasent going to put one in hell razer it was just a thought.

Post Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:19 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

A bit more of an update on my experimentation with Gyro's..

Unless I think of some way to cure it, It doesnt look like the simple Gyro I got to test will be of any use in Inspector General (or any invertible bot). Thats ok, I mainly got it for Scoopy, but why is it so ?

If your Bot is invertible by means of the same wheels poking out of the top of the robot as the bottom, then when you are inverted, the forwards/reverse channel needs to be inverted so forward-stick is still forwards, but the steering stays the same, since the wheels turning direction has reversed, but so has the orientation of the robot, so the two cancel out and the steering is the same as right way up.

Unfortunately, the Gyro doesnt know this, and keeps applying the same correction signals, Activating the IBC's flip input wont help, since 1. its reversing the drive, not the steering. and 2. even if it did invert the steering, you would then have backwards steering.

So it looks like for an invertible bot, you need a Gyro that has remote-shutdown (gain control), so that when the flip is active, the gyro shuts down.

There might be another way to do it, but I havent thought of one so far.. anyone with any ideas ?

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:03 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Hack the transmiter to reverse the steering?

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:11 pm