www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Australia Bot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Author    Thread
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i think lifter is a bit tame, Co2/Plan-C style isnt suited to complicated lifting mechanisms, its too likley to bend things. Flipper or "Flying wedge" it is ;->
what would constitute a truly insane drive that could be shoe horned into a LW?

i thinks 2x of nicks mags sized things?
1x metric assload of batteries.
(say 3-4x 3600 packs @24V or equivilent?)
magnet wheels
traction crontol
hotted up ESC

we need somebody who knows vehicle dynamics (or a good page on some basic maths behind it)

The new and revised Plan-C system is pretty simple, we just chew through more Co2 to save 5 valves ;->

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
what would constitute a truly insane drive that could be shoe horned into a LW?

"Accept no substitutes" two of these produce 1750 in lbs of torque at 24V - that's a metric sh*tload of pushing power with the NIB wheels. If we combine enough A123 cells, there will also be a large amount of spare weight for armour.

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:28 pm 
andrew

ah so we r planning a big robot hmm, fun fun fun, cant wait

i can donate anything required within my ability, welding, steel, whatever, time, money etc

also i have two of them massive linear actuators same type that glen has

i also have 4 300 watt motors and chains but no sprocet/wheel (also lindsey has dibs on 2 of them).

I think we stick with lightweight so we can reuse it back here and go with either a rammer or a crusher or a lifter, maybe doing a karkus/pincher style design with that meaty actuator would be descent.

Jake whats your opinion on fixing the rs80d, thin its doable, if so i have that to donate as well to the cause but i may want it bac after for my ow lightweight/whatever but yeah offers there

Also one other question is if we all pool our parts into one robot how do we decide the driver, hold tryouts and see whos best or something Razz

or just pass it around each match etc

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:31 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Given that you are a long way from home and racing-team wisdom is "dont build anything you can't afford to have a spare of", I'd be using as much "Standard" gear as possible.

Custom hotted-up radio's, ESC's and stuff are all fun, but like Judge Dave said, its not the team with the coolest stuff that usually wins, but those who are the most prepared and practiced.

I'm sure if "Team Australia" had an unexpected failure at the event, there would be plenty of guys who would help out with parts, tools etc.. we know what the camaraderie at these events are like.

But if you are using custom baked ESC's, whitworth threads (Ok, exxageration. Wink - even Metric bolts will mean you will likely need to take some of your own tools along), unobtanium chassis, version 0.99 ESC's etc and need a hand, you'll get a lot of shrug's.

I'd stick with Victors, Magmotors, EV's, Hobby Radio's for maximum pit-service-ability. Boring but proven and available.

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

if off the shelf is up to the job i'm all for it.
nick, got torque curves for those motors?

The 900Mhz radio can be braught to RC1 (release candidate 1) status pretty easily.

My goal would be to have a bunch of "battles" with the thing.
and pull a bit of a NASA, when its gotta work first go.
(since we are building something a little simpler than a mars probe we have half a chance of being able to do it lol.)

its gotta have at least some cool points, otherwise whats the point?

super cheap is cool
super techy is cool
store baught and assembled.... welllll ;->

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

My 2550 ESC will drive these guys with current control and it has serial input with feedback for Jake. The 2550 is a standard part in larger bots and Roboteq is a US company - they might even have a rep at Robolympics. We would need to take plenty of spares for the custom stuff - that's a given!

A flipper could get by with a simpler and far cheaper drive system - Dewalts and timing belts would be very standard and repairable

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:41 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Broken, in the pits and unrepairable = not cool. Razz

The custom gear might impress the other builders who wander past the bot with its lid off on the pit table, but most of the boring off-the-shelf stuff is out of sight of the general public anyway.

Who really cared (or knew) what speed controllers or drive motors Warhead was using ? other than a few builders ?

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

We will add the cool factor back in to the store parts with smart frame design and quality construction, plus techy materials. I haven't heard anyone using magnetic traction recently and laser targeting is definitely cool Cool

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:48 pm 
andrew

i honestly think with this lightweight/whatever we keep it simple and cheap and use whatever parts we have sitting round, lie dont go spending 100's$ on the thing.i can see nic now thinking of many way overkill things for it which just scares me Very Happy Razz

if i can get the rs80d repaired im game for maing a lightweight myself to take over, thining 4 of them nice hammerdirll motors (they look chuny) and a lifter or crusher powered by one of them actuators i got Very Happy

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:55 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

For Robolympics, those actuators are too slow; you really need the lifter to fully extend in a second or so. They sure have the power so perhaps they could be geared up - look at what Carlo did to a set in Biohazzard...

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:59 pm 
Knight

Well i like this idea, gives even those that arn't going a way to participate.

My offering to this project: My experience as a software/firmware/hardware coder.

If you want it to be computerised in some way shape or form, even if it is something like safetys (tho i assume we will be running an IBC) thats my area.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:20 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Sewer Snake / Devil's Plunger Clone me thinks. Maybe put the whees on the inside though.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:55 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The POP is updated, I added a tentative wanted or undecided list as well. One thought about a ram bot driven bt Mag motors - take the armour off, drop on a seat & front wheels and you have a respectable Nar Kart.

If we do a flipper we will have to start early on the arm linkages as they are harder than they look. A full size mockup in mild steel or aluminium will be needed and we will need to get Phil and the Keroos heavily involved for their pneumatics experience. Passing inspection will be harder for this design so we need to get it right

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:11 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
For Robolympics, those actuators are too slow; you really need the lifter to fully extend in a second or so. They sure have the power so perhaps they could be geared up - look at what Carlo did to a set in Biohazzard...

How about Karcas? Uses the same actuators and can only be beaten by Sewer Snake.

The only parts we have here is one of the actuators.
Also I can supply any CAD work you need. This thing needs to look good.
And we can supply pneumatics. Rams, buffers, regulators, ect....

I can't stop thinking of a middle weight made of a four-way Prancing Queen cluster. We'll need to set up the dolls correctly for once. It won't win, but it won't be forgotten. Very Happy

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:22 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

XD Yes! Laughing
That way we all could drive one (most of us) Razz

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:23 am