Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Author    Thread
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

HEHEHEHE good thing we dont have many girls in this sport Wink

Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:15 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

hehe about the plasma ball breaking thing...
I once had a cheap one from Clints Crazy Bargains, $20 i think

anyway so i was swinging a fan cord around my room and hit it and it shattered. I cleaned up the glass and being the sort of person i am i turned it on. It did not do anyhting much so i pulled the high voltage circuit out to have a play with. Not that these things ran from a 12v plugpack, so i was not playing with 240v, though of course the high voltage circuit it has was still potentially dangerous.

Anyway so after receiving a fair few zaps from it as i played i found a few things out, '
- it would light up a fluro tube if connect to one end
- it would create a 1cm long spark to things
- It would burn holes in things, like your skin, it left little black burnt marks that you could see going into your skin.
- Lightbulbs make sucky replacment plasma globes.

Then a friend decided to see if he could take the zap by holding the contact when i switched it on. When I turned it on he did not get zapped at all, but as he let go he got a good shock. It turns out that when you grip the contact there is enough skin contact for the high voltage to flow across your skin and into the air from all over your body, and you do not get zapped. When you let go as the contact moves away it sparks to your skin, that burns through the high resistance outer layer and zaps the nice conductive inner bits.

Anyway so i found that if you held the contact tight and touched someone else it would zap them, but also you. If you held something metal the spark would travel from the metal and only zap them Smile

then i found if you grabbed a fluro tube by an end it would light up. So i made a wide contact and taped it to my skin on my side, and had a play with the fluro tubes. A really long one would not light up when you grabbed it but if you held one end in one hand and ran the other hand from that end up long the tube it would start to glow all the way up. At night you could do some pretty cool lightsaber looking tricks with this, as if you ran the hand back down the tube it would go back out Surprised

anyway i was making a battery powered version but I found that the circuit uses the plug back and your power lines etc as one of the high voltage circuit contacts. So in normal use the high voltage would flow out through the plasma ball, through the air and back into anyhting grounded etc. This was all bad for batteries as they were the grounding, and it just tended to spark inside itself and not be very useful.

anyway it was lots of fun, i should dig it out again some time Smile

Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:44 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Team Hell Bent!:
If pinscher is now a dog then.

Make sure you clean up its batterys after each match Cool

Pinschers always been a dog actually and now more than ever its going to look like its Doberman influence, except the real one has a wagging stump for a tail.
Had one years ago name Bronson. Coolest dog.

Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:45 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

After lots of stuffing around with options have decided on a new motor system.
Will keep the original drill gearboxs but will replace the plastic gears with metal and get some of that funky blue grease shit inside of them.

Am waiting on the new motors from RCM.
Have ordered a pair of HTI motors which are similar size to drill motors but are beefier. about 40% heavier they have ballbearings on the main shaft, have thicker steel casing and have larger mounting holes on the face. 4mm.

They are the only 550 size motors I have seen that are rated for 24volts.
Running them at 18 volts should give them peak power of about 700 watts each. At 24 volts peak power is about a 1000 watts.
AS their guide suggests it depends on your gearing if they will work ok. They are sold with a gearbox of 35:1 so Pinschers 85:1 will make them work easy.
Cool so Pinschers going to have about a 2 or 2.5 horsepower drive.

Have also just broken in its new weapon motors using water so its going to have 4 new motors all broken in.
Havent decided if I will maintain parralel motors on the weapon as I am thinking of a series connection as the new motors have 4 or 5 times the stall currant so am venturing into sick land, woohoo

Post Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:05 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Some actual progress today. Took about 5 minutes to do but took weeks of umming and arring.
Apart from paint and ears the new concepts that have been put in place are firstly the spanner between the angle grinders. (pic bottom left) which takes out the slack between the wheels and the latest idea is the double idlers on the rear sharing the same axle.

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=383

What all this means is that hopefully the give in the body has been transfered to the rear axle which acts as a sort of suspension.
UNder stress the body will stay rigid where it counts and the rear wheels will be the stabiliser.

Am very excited about the prospect of the drive stability and this should eliminate the problems that have been experienced from having such a long bot. 72 cm.
Ears are held on with gaffa at the moment as cant help but feel thy will be ripped off so why fight it. Figure its common for agro dogs to lose an ear or two in fights so might be good viewing. (Are blodd capsules allowed lol)

Havent actually driven Pinscher since the Annihilator and once the nu motors arrive will do a final resettong of the components but am feeling very confident with the new drive system.

Wheels shown are for rock bots as spinners will require my monster wheels.
Any weight left over will go to armour and possibly a nose extension to keep those scissor bots at bay.
Will check weight at next builders meet and see whats left to use for armour.

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:12 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

god dammit why cant i design something that looks that kewl Crying or Very sad

and are those drill bits sticking out of the little idler wheels?

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
are those drill bits sticking out of the little idler wheels?

No thats just a bit of Gaffa holding the wheels on.
Have to workout how to stop wheels sliding off shafts.
It only took a few minutres to drill 2 holes, slide the shaft threw the body and use gaffa on the end to hold wheels on but it works a treat.
Might use some rubber to dampen the shocks as well.

Could actually put 2 idlers on each side if required and will use a different type of wheel that are one piece.
The wheels shown could have the rubber torn off so not appropriate.
Even though they are very visible they will be hard to get to, I hope.

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:14 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Oh, it looks so munchable Twisted Evil I LOVE exposed wheels Cool Can I battle the poochy at RoboWars Question Someone rig the draws !!!!

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:09 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

And what are u going to be driving Aaron that makes you feel confident against Poochy. Cool

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:21 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'll be driving my blade into it Wink

Next years little pet will be something to watch, if anyone will let me run it in an arena Evil or Very Mad

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:30 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by teamvertex:
I'll be driving my blade into it Wink

You are more than welcome to try. I still have to pay you back for hitting Pooch when its aerial fell down at the first Robowars so expect Pooch to be frothing at the mouth when it sees your bot.
Keep in mind it will have an inch of air armour so cuts and gouges will only piss it off.

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:45 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

We'll just keep this for the arena. I just hope Poochy's bite is better then his bark Wink

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:06 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

You are such a stirrer.
Chances are we might not even fight but if theres a rumble we shall see whos been talking like a toothless grandma. Very Happy

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:22 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

And you bite every time Wink Maybe you should be in the workshop giving Poochy lessons on how to bite things Smile

*cracks up laughings as he imagines George on his hands and knees with a sock for a tail showing Pinscher how to chew on a piece of 3mm Angle Aluminium*

Hey, if we don't meet in the competitions, there is always plenty of time for grudge matchs the morning after Razz

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:31 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by teamvertex:
And you bite every time Razz

Yep I do. You still havent said whch robot you are fighting, are u afraid to say Shocked

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:40 pm