www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Day light saving

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Day light saving

Is there any benefit to day light savings?

Once again Beattie is talking about day light savings for QLD. We have had three trials of this in my lifetime and IMO it is a PITA.

We had one trial when Alex was a baby. It completely disrupted his sleeping and feeding times. We were starting work in the dark on cloudy days and trying to go to sleep when the QLD summer heat was one hour hotter.

Twice every year I hear the announcers on triplej complaining about adjusting their routines to suit day light savings.

Is there any actual gain to offset all of the hassle of getting up and going to bed one hour earlier?

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:12 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

It does what it says, saves daylight. It means you get more light in the afternoon. It's not that much of a hassle and 1hr extra light is good for winter.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:17 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Except when your up before daylight anyway. Makes no difference when the daylight ends, you don't get any anyway,

At the moment i leave before dawn, and come home after dark. Daylight saving in summer i think isn;t a bad thing, but for too much of the year its too bright in the evening and still dark in the morning.

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:31 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I think its the wrong way round.
Theres plenty of daylight in summer and not enough in winter.
We should put the clocks forward in winter so that theres actually some time after work to do something during the light.

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Fish_in_a_Barrel

WA is now into its 4th trial of daylight savings. Some smartass is going to make us suffer for 3 years of trial before we vote. It was a PITA at work, where random patches were applied to random programs, the phones were all off and it was just annoying.

It takes a month or so to get used to it, and then when it leaves it takes another month for everything to get back to normal. At uni the clocks were all changed at the start, and then when it ended, some clocks weren't changed for months, due to the SEP fields, which caused time distortion fields.

Yes, it does work for some people, according to the stats in WA, a third want it and the other two thirds don't. I have to put up with it for another two years before I can vote against it. GRRR!

I wouldn't mind if everything was moved back an hour for the whole year, it's the chop and change that I'm not a fan of.

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:54 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I get a lot of problems with SEP fields at work... Sad

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:05 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

The new daylight savings here was only for the southeast corner of Queensland. Anywhere north of Gympie or west of Toowoomba will stay normal. We'd have it and Aaron won't. Not sure about Andrew or Nick. They'd need to change their watches everytime they went into town. It'd be a pain trying to figure out when to leave home to go to an event.
I say bugger it.

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:28 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Actually, will they update the DLS tracking with mobile phones to suit this? I know flying from Brissy to Melb that my phone tells me to accept the changes to DSL times of Melbourne Smile

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:10 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

It seems that the majority of people want to start earlier, I propose that the whole of Australia moves the clocks forward an hour permanently.

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:29 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

I actually like daylight savings . . . I can get home @ 6:30 and still have 1 1/2 hours of light left to do stuff outside, winters too cold to bother doing much outside of an evening anyways + it would still get dark at 6 . . .

ffej.net

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

In QLD, it's dark by 5:30pm in winter... Daylight savings wouldn't save much daylight...

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:28 pm