New Battlebots Rules

A new set of Battlebot rules.
http://www.battlebots.com/Rules.html

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:23 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Here are some things I don't like:

1.2.5 INNOVATIVE ROBOTS
BattleBots wants to encourage unusual and creative robot designs. College and Professional
Teams can apply to enter a robot that uses innovative and novel design features, even if that robot
does not meet all the requirements in these Rules.
(So what is point of having rules in the first place?)

2.1.1 NON-WALKER WEIGHTS
Non-walking BattleBots Entry Classes are defined by their measured weight, as follows:
a. College-Class Maximum Weight: 120.0 pounds
b. Professional-Class Maximum Weight: 220.0 pounds
2.1.2 STOMPBOT WEIGHTS
A robot that uses walking locomotion may qualify as a "StompBot", and be allowed the following
weights:
a. College-Class StompBot Maximum Weight: 160.0 pounds
b. Professional-Class StompBot Maximum Weight: 300.0 pounds
(Only 2 weight classes?)

2.2.2 SPEED/MOBILITY REQUIREMENTS
A BattleBot has to be able to move at a speed of at least two feet-per-second in an approximately straight line.
(Does this include walkers?)

2.4.1 SAFETY COVERS
Safety Covers are pads or blocks mounted on all external sharp points, corners and edges on the
exterior of a BattleBot, installed such that they will prevent injury to someone bumping or striking
those parts.
(So the robot must be completely covered in the pits?)

2.8.4 WARNING MARKERS
BattleBots using certain components or systems are required to have special color-coded markers
permanently attached and clearly visible on both the top and bottom of the BattleBot. Each marker
has a minimum size of 2 by 2 inches and may be larger. Depending upon the BattleBot’s
configuration, it may require more than one marker type as follows:
a. A BattleBot with a pneumatic system requires Red Markers.
b. A BattleBot using High Voltage Electronics requires Blue Markers.
c. A BattleBot using Lithium-Polymer batteries requires Yellow Markers.
BattleBots Inc. will supply the appropriate markers.
(I guess this is for the arena marshals. Why can't they just be told this before the robots enter the arena?)

3.2.4 RULE CHANGE DATE
Effective July 1, 2009, Legacy Radio Control Equipment will no longer be allowed to be used at any
BattleBots Tournament.
(This means no AM/FM/PCM gear can be used after this date.)

4.2.3 ACTIVATION/DEACTIVATION CONDITIONS
To minimize risk to personnel, the Activation and Deactivation sequences cannot require:
a. More than one person to perform each sequence.
b. A person to place any body part in the path of any weapon system or any other powered part
of a BattleBot that can cause injury.
c. A person to place any body part inside the external frame or shell of a BattleBot.
d. A person or a BattleBot to balance or be balanced in any unstable position.
e. The installation or removal of any panels, covers or fasteners from a BattleBot, other than the
Safety Covers and Restraints.
(This means about 90% of Australian robots wont pass safety inspection.)

7.2.3 MAXIMUM ACTUATION PRESSURE
The maximum pneumatic actuation pressure that can be used aboard a BattleBot is:
a) 1000psi
(So I must put a regulator on my full pressure CO2 system?)

7.5.7 CUSTOM COMPONENTS
Custom-made or custom-modified pneumatic components may be used in a BattleBot's pneumatic
system. The Entrant is required to supply data sheets and/or computations and/or certified hydrotesting
results to prove that the custom component is properly designed and built to have a burst
pressure that is 300% of the maximum pressure that the component will be subjected to during
operation.
(300%!!! How will it ever get to 300% in the robot?)

7.7.1 TANK PRESSURE
Every pressure storage tank is required to have a calibrated pressure gauge which allows reading
the unregulated gas pressure in that tank.
(A gauge on a CO2 tank tells you nothing.)

7.7.5 PRESSURE TEST ACCESSIBILITY
Gaining access to and reading of any gauge/test-point pressure cannot require:
a. More than 60 seconds.
b. Placing any body part in the path of any weapon system or powered part of the BattleBot.
c. The use of external mirrors or other special tools. Use of a flashlight is acceptable.
Each gauge face must be oriented toward the viewing position, so that there is minimum parallax
distortion of the reading.
(this means a gauge must be on top of the robot.)

9.1 ACTIVE WEAPON REQUIREMENT
All BattleBots are required to have at least one actively-powered weapon system clearly designed to
work by either taking control of the opposing BattleBot (e.g., lifting, grabbing), or by damaging
through direct physical contact (e.g., hammers, flippers, spinners, drums).
(Flame weapons are not classed as active weapons. Also no wedges, bricks, thwackbots or "melty brain" type robots.)

9.5.3 MAXIMUM KE WEAPON SPEED
Any KE Weapon on a BattleBot has to be designed and built such that the fastest moving part(s) of
the weapon do not exceed 400 feet-per-second.
(Why?)

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Lol the poor tech inspectors. although i do agree with their active weapons policy. it has to be said series 7 of robot wars was much better for it at least.

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fish_in_a_Barrel

I'm not a pneumatics person, but even I can see that some of those rules are counter productive. I lolled at the colours, racing stripes anyone?

The KE speed is stupid, if it is to limit Kinetic energy, then it should LIMIT KINETIC ENERGY. No, BS just provide an MOI and max rotational speed with your robots weapon.

I like most of the active weapon requirement, but think that it should be ammended with the KE energy requirement, and possibly just place a minimum KE required. This would remove the boring wedges and bricks, while still allowing for the highly developed ones.

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:49 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
9.5.3 MAXIMUM KE WEAPON SPEED
Any KE Weapon on a BattleBot has to be designed and built such that the fastest moving part(s) of
the weapon do not exceed 400 feet-per-second.

Perhaps my maths is wrong, but this would equal over 4,600 rpm for a 500mm wide spinner - hardly a major limitation IMHO. its a fairly pointless rule and most battlebots builders will not be affected by it.

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:38 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

You're right, most of those rules are stupid. Maybe it's my late night logic talking, but who really cares about their new ruling? None of use are going over to compete in their *two* weight classes anyway...
The weapon ruling system sounds like it was written by someone who never saw a proper robot fight...

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:48 pm 
leo-rcc

No more than 1000psi is also not a problem for CO2 robots unless you heat up the bottles. It does restrict some US robots on HPA or Nitrogen.

The 300% rule is just dumb. Not even factory built pneumatics is rated for 300% of the working pressure.

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:54 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

To me, it was written by lawyers and insurers Laughing. they are trying to be super safety conscious with many of those rules - and missing badly. As Angus said, it doesn't affect anyone here, and only a few builders who choose to compete at BB. I can't see these rules having any effect on the de facto standard RFL rules.

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:06 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

4.2.3 ACTIVATION/DEACTIVATION CONDITIONS
To minimize risk to personnel, the Activation and Deactivation sequences cannot require:
a. More than one person to perform each sequence.
b. A person to place any body part in the path of any weapon system or any other powered part
of a BattleBot that can cause injury.
c. A person to place any body part inside the external frame or shell of a BattleBot.
d. A person or a BattleBot to balance or be balanced in any unstable position.
e. The installation or removal of any panels, covers or fasteners from a BattleBot, other than the
Safety Covers and Restraints.

My favorite part of this is clause C and E, while it is true that 90% of Australian robots would not pass this, it also means that your power switch needs to be on the outside of the robot, or excessable via a tool from the outside of the bot.

My question is what if your armour gets a bit bent, are you just meant to leave the robot powered up in the areana forever? Because the rules prevent you from removing panels to turn it off. On top of this, your safety covers may no longer fit the bot.

Post Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:02 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Rules are one thing, Practical enforcement is another.

Its quite likely that a lot of these safety rules are butt-covering escape-clauses for the purposes of Insurance.

"Oh you just lost a hand to your robot and would like to sue us.. ? Well, according to paragraph 4, subsection 3, your hand should have been covered with a titanium glove and had its movements approved in advance and signed off on by the chief-activation-supervisor after comittee review", so I'm sorry, you broke the rules and therefore dont have a case.. bye

Remember what a famously litigous bunch the yanks can be, and that you're also just as likely to be sued by little johnny-in-the-audiences mum for exposing her innocent little darling to the horror of seeing someone get hurt, and here is my bill for $400k of counselling for him to get over his subsequent fear of butter knifes.

BattleBots rules have always been ridiculuously over the top, specifying what sized wire and nuts you should use to hold down your batteries and lots of other "welll, duh.." comments.. so after getting used to the relative simplicity and sanity of the RFL rules, they are going to look like teaching granny to suck eggs again..

(or, after reading the thread again.. what Nick said Wink )

Post Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:15 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by leo-rcc:
No more than 1000psi is also not a problem for CO2 robots unless you heat up the bottles. It does restrict some US robots on HPA or Nitrogen.

Actually they are allowing bottle heaters prior to a fight. But allowing bottle heaters and then restrictig the pressure back down where they arn't needed just seems like a waste of time.

I'd like this bit added to our rules.
"Unscrewing or rotating a tank to shut off pressure is specifically not allowed."

Post Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:55 am 
maddox

quote:
Originally posted by leo-rcc:

The 300% rule is just dumb. Not even factory built pneumatics is rated for 300% of the working pressure.

The only industrial applications were I have seen 300% working pressure overratings is in hydraulic hoses and nuclear reactors/pressure parts.

But I believe the 300%/1000psi situation comes from the fact that most CO2 bottles commercialy available are rated for 3000psi.
The fact that these bottles are also used for 3000psi gasses, and have a burst pressure of 4500psi doesn't matter.

Oh well, It's not a big issue to build pneumatic rams and manifolds to go 3000psi static. I believe most of my current pneumatical creations can do that.
But I won't fire a ram with that pressure.
On the other hand, we tried the 100mm bore 354mm stroke ram in TAN with 135 bar Nitrogen, and that's a ram that is build as light as possible, and it survided. And after 6 years , still in use.

Post Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:10 pm