www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

capture DVD with VLC

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

capture DVD with VLC

Does anyone know the best way to capture a DVD using VLC? I am trying to get it as a .mov.

The guides I have found online show how to use the wizard in an older version of VLC, but I can't find a guide for the updated VLC.

The media is from a consumer video camera.

Post Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:09 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

if its from a video camera you should be able to just copy it to disk.
As for transcoding best off using something other than VLC, its a player that they tacked the transcoding onto. If your on windows, take a look at windows movie maker, it might be able to do it.

Try not to use mov if you can, use mp4,avi or something, mov is "owned" by apple

Post Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Thank you. I am just trying to use .mov as it is the native codec for Avid. I am using Avid FreeDV.

I think I am finally onto a winner. It takes four transfers on two computers, but I might have a usable picture. I am using MPEG Streamclip in combination with Quicktime alternative 1.8.1.0.

It would all be easier if I used software that would import the DVD directly, but I am a tight arse and wont buy the editing software.

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:10 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Video is a *big* area.. Framerates, resolutions, bit depths, codecs, interlacing, bit rates, formats, etc etc.

Heres a couple of useful sites to poke around, with lots of links to free software to do any job you can think of.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/

http://www.doom9.org/

Have a good dig about and read up before you settle on one though.. I recall in the past, trying about 5 different programs that I thought would do what I wanted until finding some that actually did what I thought it should.

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger