www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

building a workshop???

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

building a workshop???

Heres a bit of a different one,

while doing the yearly tear down and clean on my lathe and mill it occured to me that freezing in the 5 degree nights and boiling in the 40 degree summer days sucks. as do the mosquito's and not being able to leave all my expensive parts outside in the ever classy Mt Druitt.

sooo what i was thinking of doing was boarding up all the gaps in my car port and getting rid of the old fiat (god knows ill never get a license) to effectively make it a dodgy enclosed workshop.

the carport is just an extension of the house roof basically held up with 3 columns on the exterior side.

i want to nail or screw or whatever is the prefered method - a few plywood panels up on the sides to the roof beam + a door thus making it enclosed. the floor is concrete so i dont know how youd join it at the base to stop all the ants and redbacks inviting themselves in.

is it something you have to get building permission from the council to build? id hazard a guess at yes in case the weight brings down the dilapidated structure Laughing

advice experience etc all appreciated. parents are clueless as ever..

Post Mon May 18, 2009 7:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Yep requires approval. Would many people bother? No. That's my input.

Post Mon May 18, 2009 8:25 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

If they have no way of finding out what your doing then dont wast the next 6 months of your life trying to get papers passed bye 10 diff people all with there own ideas and rules of there own.

Im still trying to get a hole-trench they dug up in our front lawn like a year aggo filled in and there hanging up on us and trying to ignore and hide from us.

Post Mon May 18, 2009 9:53 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I have a vague recollection that a car port can only have 2 walls to qualify as a car port - any more enclosed than that and you need a completely different and more complex approval. Once the car port is up, you could get away with modifying it in a non-permanent way and the worst thing that is likely to happen is you have to dismantle it. The only way the council will know about it is if neighbours complain or they come to inspect pro builder's work very nearby. If you want to get approval for an official change, it will help to have professionally drawn plans and if you are upgrading or replacing an existing structure, its more likely to get approval.

Post Mon May 18, 2009 10:29 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Buy a shipping container and aircon it. Fully lockable, and semi-sound proof Cool

Post Mon May 18, 2009 10:30 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

fair enough then, ill have a bit more of a professional look into things. i was definitely thinking along the lines of a shanty style construction that could get ripped down quick smart.

the shipping container would be so awesome but i dont think i could get it in the yard Laughing might be a bit spensive. but i guess it could double as an arena haha

Post Mon May 18, 2009 10:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I think "used" shipping containers aren't actually that expensive.
I saw one that had $1200 on it next to the word "scrap"

wrt licence, stop being a pussy, the Telstar has a drivers seat with your name on it ;->

I'd stick some stuff up on it, make it look good (not a shanty ;->) but make it easy enough to take down without spending mega$ on it.
IE some weatherboard and a few bits of wood.

If it looks dodgy people may be suspicious (the roaving inspector ;->).
Your place looks like its sposed to have an enclosed garage on it, I'd wager the builder planned to do that anyway and just left it half done to doge some regulations or another.

Post Mon May 18, 2009 10:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

My grandfather wanted to build a car port so four old power poles and a tin roof they said you have to give us drawings from a arkatec before we will even look at it so in other words you will have to pay to get it re drawn over and over till there happy.

Post Tue May 19, 2009 7:32 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

you don't need approval to "repair" things Smile

Your carport is not very visible from the street, so if you essentially just boarded it up I don't think you'd have a problem.

Post Tue May 19, 2009 8:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

If you decide on a transportable building, you can crane them over your house. A friendly neighbour with better access might let you take it through their yard. You need to work out the cost vs benefit.

Post Tue May 19, 2009 6:50 pm 
Russell

I have seen this done
Make some phone calls to manufactures of cool room and find someone who is removing or upgrading a old cool room. They usually tip them because the panels get damaged or they get wet form(it does dry out). This will not worry you. The best bit last, it might come free if you pick it up! I have a trailer if needed.

Post Tue May 19, 2009 7:30 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

1.Cool room cladding is the way to go ill see if i can get some imfo for you.
2. forget about permission,but as jake said make it look neat.
As for cladding if its going to get even slightly wet you will need to use something water proof,ply wood etc will not do.
I suggest steel stud frames[as used in office fitouts] and check out the trading post for second hand roof sheeting and use that.
I say steel framing because it is a lot cheaper than timber.
Give me the dimensions and ill get a cost for you.

Post Sat May 23, 2009 6:24 am