www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

The house maid that will do it all!

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

The house maid that will do it all!

http://www.androidworld.com/prod19.htm

Nope, it's no Le Sheen, but she's the next best thing, her names Valerie, and she's a domestic Android.

Sale price is $59,000 and includes 1 year free repairs. Get your orders in NOW!

Cool

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:12 pm 
Windhammer

It does it all hey? wink wink

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:05 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

no offense, but I've had a look at that guys web-page. I think he's been smoking the peace-pipe a bit too much.. either that or its a deliberate scam to sucker deposits out of the gullible.

Nowhere on his web-page do I see anything that indicates he's even close to making a working hand, much less a whole android. He talks a bunch, but wheres the proof ?

There is one tiny video clip of a crude three-fingered hand moving a single finger digit, with none of the motive-power on the screen. for all we know, he could be pulling a wire off-screen. In fact it looks very much like he is.. notice theres no sound of servo motors or anything in the video clip ?

plus of course, a heap of pictures of his store-dummy posed about the place. no mention of where he's going to put the power source for this thing (have you seen the size of the backpack on the Honda Asimo ?). He's got this slinky thin-as model, and he's going to fit enough motors, gyroscopes, batteries, hyperfast neural network computers, cooling systems, vision processors, sensors and everything into that ?

Honda and other companies have spent tens of millions of dollars building machines like Asimo (that actually work and you can see them live or on video) and have years of experience in building industrial robots, but this good'ol boy from wherever is going to beat them all in his kitchen AND have a saleable product by christmas for less than the cost of a motor car. Yeah right.

I dont like the be negative, but until this guy shows us more than a set of furby eyes, a single finger moving and his cute store dummy, hes firmly in the "wanker" category as far as I'm concerned.

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

yes i thought it wasnt to bad looking for a dummy most of the pics has it proped against a wall or a couch ect so ity doesnt fall over lol ..

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:54 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

I think you gusy are missing the point Razz

i believe the website is a joke hehe
remember there is a lot of different humour out there!

though brett "supposedly" she is powered from compressed air via a tether!

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:57 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Some of you old techies take things too serious Smile I put it up as a joke, because it was funny when i read it and i though some of you would get a kick out of it, not right essays on how a joke cannot be true or false...

arrgghhh, i'll give up comedy.

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:13 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I dont know.. seems like an awful lot of trouble for a "joke" to me..

I appreciate the humour on your part Aaron, but I really think that guy is taking himself seriously (how I dont know). Have you looked at his "business plan" ?

Maybe I am taking it too seriously, but there's no shortage of crackpots out there who think building a walking robot is easy.. despite the fact the most advanced neural network computer we presently know of (the human brain) takes years to learn the trick..

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
prong
Experienced Roboteer

hehe there are people out there on the net who will put huge amounts of work into things for a joke, they are crazy! but amusing

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:30 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I like how the eyelid brackets are made for sections of bandsaw blade. Now that's ingenuity!!! Very Happy

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:24 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number