www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Battlebots Season 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, what's with all the non-invertible designs? Its pretty hard to find a modern featherweight that can't drive inverted or self-right.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:11 pm 
Ellis

It's hard to design an interesting multi-action weaponed bot that is flat enough for invertability or can still have some wheel contact upside down. The specific ask of the EOs was to make stuff that looks interesting, and aesthetic yet effective robots are hard! Especially when built in only a handful of weeks, as in many cases.

It makes me wish there were a world-stage like event here, as I'd take having an awesome complicated robot over a wedge (like my feathers lol) any day if it weren't 100% about the competition.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:06 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

so did all these bots get a budget towards their robot….and are they only allowed to use them for that show?

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:47 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Afaik Disney owns you basically.

And yeh they did get a bunch of cash for bot.

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:15 am 
andrew

Watching battlebots

SO is it just me or do alot of teams not know what steel is in this comp

Literally it looks like some robots have paper for armour and thin ali for frame. Have you not done your research, is this the first time you have seen ray billings machines.

Get thick steel, weld that shit, angle it, then your machine may last more than three hits.

Sorry but man it frustrates me, least theres some new teams in battlebots, good to see new builders, i hope they build something stronger in future and learn from all this though

Warheads and stinger bee (sewer snake) put on a show, holy crap. Matt is one of the most intense drivers in the game

Bronco is a bad mother%*&%$^. Next fight with him will be rediculous

Next week tombstone destroys...... i mean fights radioactive

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:01 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

The Stinger vs Warhead fight was great. Currently refreshing Youtube trying to find an upload of it so I can watch it a few more times.
Except ABC are starting to remove youtube videos.

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:16 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Another excellent episode - I have to agree with Andrew about the armour or lack thereof. Seems to me that some of these teams just wanted to be on TV and did very little research.

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:55 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Stinger vs Warhead showed impressive driving skills, although Im not not particular impressed by a moving wedge as a "Active Weapon".

Nice of Stinger to free warhead a couple of times in the name of making a good fight, even if risking losing might be a consequence.. Also typical of the Inertia Labs guys to *not do that. they were always "win at all costs, even if its boring" types.

I suppose if Donald Hutsons jaws are considered to be a "lifter", then Stingers wedge would have to count as one too.

A Tricky area to debate. When does a moving wedge stop being a wedge and be considered a "Weapon" ?

This series while well produced for TV, is reminding me of the big thing I didnt really like about BattleBots - The Arena, it looks great, but *it is your biggest enemy, not your opponent.

With such hugely powerful Arena Hazards, why bother to design a powerful weapon ? Those Screws are *stupidly overpowered.. get pushed even lightly into them and with the serrated lifting teeth its pretty much game over straight away.

The Pulverisers are sort of cool, and giving them to the teams to control is a nice touch, but I wouldn't want them to hit *too hard, or its the same "are you fighting the opponent or the Arena ?" thing. At least they aren't overusing the Kill Saws this time like they used to.

Adding the flip-out zone (even a small one like they have) is another step backwards IMO. Thats the English way of combat that encourages flippers to just toss you over the edge and boom, another instant (and relatively boring) game over. It was better when they had spikes along the walls and that was it.

So as Ive always said, the Arena is what influences the bot designs more than any other factor. Add powerful hazards, the bots offense gets weaker (on average), Add flip-out zones and flippers are everywhere.

I prefer to see more pure Robot vs Robot action. You want to hurt the other guy ? bring a *weapon, not a moving wedge. One of my thoughts was try adding passive *terrain to the floor.

Just a few speed humps here and there, perhaps a "Hill" (4 sided pyramid with a flat top) in the middle, or some small steps for more terrain-capable bots to make use of against the floor-scrapers, and see what evolves design-wise there. I imagine there would quite a few high-sided bots initially until the designs improved.

Anyway, not whinging too hard I hope, its good to see Battlebots back, its just a bit sad to see some good bots taken out by the Arena, not their opponents offense, thanks to a single or lucky good push by its opponent.

Perhaps things like Arena Hazards should only be activated in the last 30sec-1min of the fight to help finish of a bonk-fest like two wedge/rammers or whatever butting heads for 3 min. a bit like a pit that opens in the last 30 seconds, I like that idea better.

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

We loved it….really those bots need to self right…before thinking up a stupid weapon…and have they ever fought robots before coming up with those top heavy designs.

Cant wait to see ice storm fight tomb stone. was sad to see team wyachi guys have drive and weapon problems that was the only fight i didn't pick right Very Happy

Last edited by miles&Jules on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:13 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I was predicting SKF to win as well, was most disappointed for the Whyachi guys. Terry already mentioned that they want to come back next year with Son of Whyachi - will be interesting to see it go up against Tombstone Smile.

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:21 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Agree on the overpowered screws, seems like people are already using them for a quick win early on, namely bronco. Activating it in the last 30 seconds would be nice Smile Although so far all the robots that have lost to the screws were definitely losing anyway... As the comp progresses we might see them come into play for some big upsets, tombstone flying into them and getting torn up perhaps?

And the shit bots kinda make the TV show, look online. There's as much talk about wrecks and plan x as ice wave and warhead. I'm sure there's just as many people that are keen to see tombstone shred radioactive next week as they are to see bronco v stinger. There are only so many builders capable of producing a winning robot, so might as well add some entertainment factor to things!

Anyway, thought this weeks installment was much better than last weeks. Loving the pace of the show, just enough behind the scenes being shown and enough talk pre- fight. The pseudo-UFC direction they've taken makes the competition seem much more legitimate than robot wars or the old battlebots ever did.

The first two fights were great, bronco v plan x was a bummer. Bit of a wussy effort not to throw a few more flips in on a totally feeble robot, but i guess with mega prize money at stake you gotta play the game Smile Super keen to see what that flipper can really do as surely they haven't been running it at full power so far.

Very down about warrior all but failing to do anything through the tournament. Lots of unrealised performance there.

Bring on next week! The last episode was quite predictable aside from ghost raptors fight, with the exception of tombstones bout i have no idea how the other rounds will go..

overdrive v witchdoctor, overhaul v lockjaw and hyperactive v bite force should be very evenly matched. Bring it on!

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Eventorizon-GB

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
Stinger vs Warhead showed impressive driving skills, although Im not not particular impressed by a moving wedge as a "Active Weapon".

Nice of Stinger to free warhead a couple of times in the name of making a good fight, even if risking losing might be a consequence.. Also typical of the Inertia Labs guys to *not do that. they were always "win at all costs, even if its boring" types.

I suppose if Donald Hutsons jaws are considered to be a "lifter", then Stingers wedge would have to count as one too.

A Tricky area to debate. When does a moving wedge stop being a wedge and be considered a "Weapon" ?

Stinger, AKA Sewer Snake, makes for great fights that last a long time. Its high speed, agility and power make for great battles and its reliability, even when its down to 2 wheels from 6, means you get great fights no matter what.

Matt describes his robot as 80% drive and 20% weapon, and by weight its actually closer to 70-30. It may be very simple buts very effective and fun to boot.

Side note: I can't wait to see Ghost Raptor get ripped apart!

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:15 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Yep stinger is my favourite….though i wish he called it another plumbing name

Last edited by miles&Jules on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:34 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Some interesting looking clips and fights that didnt make it to the final show over at ABC here http://abc.go.com/shows/battlebots

But I cant seem to get them to stream.. dont have time to fiddle right now, does anyone else know how it can be done ? Do they have a region lock on the streaming and need US VPN access ?

Post Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:01 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'll try my VPN when I get home.

Post Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:00 pm