www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Favourite song
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Well, having been an amature musician for 12 years I can say that there is an extremly small amount of modern artist I like. None of them american. And none from those damn music compitition that produce no talent teenie booper idol wankers.
Personally I like to play things like Blades of Toledo, Kalinka, St Kilda and Birdland is alays fun. As for listening to music I'll listen to anything with a horn section. Like Neo-Swing bands (Royal Crown Revue, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy) and maybe a bit of the older rock bands like Kiss and AC/DC.
Basically look at my robot/music videos.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Music is the language of Emotion. Words inspire Thoughts, Music inspires *Feelings*.

I personally prefer music that has very little in the way of "singing" in it, since I like to think whatever I want to think at the time, without having the words of the singer overpowering my thoughts with theirs. Instrumental music with the occasional vocal sample is the best for that. I like to listen to music while I work and I cant do that if someone is singing at me at the same time..

Thats why most electronic music fans refer to their music as "tracks" rather than "songs". People who's aural diet has consisted purely of mainstream music often arent used to their brain actually doing anything indepenantly creative when listening to music without words and complain "but there's no singing !" when confronted with pure emotion.

Many have also been baby fed music in small digestible 3 minute chunks so the radio station has plenty of opportunity to put ads in between, after all, thats what pays the bills for the station, Try some tunes that go for 8-12 minutes and see what sort of emotional high flying journey you can go on rather than a quick trip to the milk bar.

Saying "all Techno is crap" is very narrow minded.. there are some amazing "techno" tracks out there, and some utterly shite pub rock bands. There are also some killer pub bands, and lots of ho hum doof doof doof music. The quality of the artist determines the quality of the music, not how its made or what from. I like some mainstream music, old creedence clearwater, ambient chill, thumping psychedelic trance, funky disco, even some classical music. Music that makes you feel good.

About the only thing I dont like is the eminem style hate-rappers and the "yo muddafocker, get your butt down bitch" pretend gangsta rap because its angry agressive music carefully tailored to appeal to the young angry kids pissed off at the world and has about as much musical creativity as this image suggests http://mm.andreib.com/fun/Microsoft-Rap-Wizard.jpg

Oh yes, back to the point. my *favourite* track ?? Laughing check *this* out..

[url]http://www.ccl.net.au/video/01%20-%20Hallucinogen%20-%20Mi-Loony-Um!.mp3[/url]..

[right click, save as], once its downloaded, turn it up, close your eyes, sit back, listen to the *whole thing* and surf the cosmos, then come and tell me how techno is all the same.. Cool

Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

yeah i agree that music needs to hit a chord to be something to me. Whether its a certain lyric that i can relate to or just the harmony.

If the music doesnt make me happy, get me excited, makes me cry even or changes me in some way or effects me then its not worth it.

I like mixture of lyrics and great music.

My favourite sit back and float away style is the Moody Blues and Jethro Tull (my dads a huge fan of each). Both these artists have some amazing work that really makes my day listening to.

Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:01 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I like hardchore techno when im PARTA ing and chillout techno when im in my room figuring out stuff on my bot.

Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:16 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I like hardchore techno when im PARTA ing and chillout techno when im in my workshop figuring out stuff on my bot.

Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:16 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I just download Mi-Loony-Um and to be honest, it reminds me of the Techno mix of Zorba's dance at the beginning Smile Loving it though, that's who Hallucinogen songs i have, and they are both sweet. Also love the cool modem sounds in it too, reminds me so much of my 56kraper modem Evil or Very Mad

Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:50 pm 
mytqik

Well they say there is always one weird egg in a cartoon. Here goes.

I LOVE country music. There you go I said & proud of it. Unlike Brett I love to listen to the words of a song & understand the true meaning of the song, the inspiration etc. Please dont get Country music (eg Lee Kernaghan, Paul Kelly, Josh Arnold) confused with western (most Slim Dusty, the slow drawl style). The atmosphere at a rodeo/country muster/ute show is hard to beat by a long way. Everyone you meet by the end of the night is a friend for life. Something i have yet to find in the city. I personally can't wait to move back to the country.

Some off the Artist I like:
Garth Brooks,
Lee Kernaghan,
Josh Arnold,
James Rayne,
Aaron Lines,
Adam Harvey,
Alan Jackson,
Big & Rich,
Billy Currington,
Billy Ray Cyrus,
Blake Shelton,
Brad Paisley,
Brian McComas,
Brooks & Dunn,
Buddy Jewell,
Chris Cagle,
Chri LeDoux,
Clay Walker,
Clint Black,
Colin Raye,
Craig Morgan,
david Lee Murphey,
Diamond Rio,
Dierks Bently,
Emerson Drive,
Josh Turner,
Kenny Rodgers,
Lonestar,
Mark Wills,
Michael Carr,
Randy Travis,
Sammy Kershaw,
Sawyer Brown,
Steve Azar,
Tim Mcgraw,
Tom Petty,
Trace Adkins,
Tracy Byrd,
Travis Tritt,
Vince Gill.

I also like mainstream rock:
AC/DC,
Nirvana,
Metallica,
Black Saboth,
Poison,
Guns 'n' Roses,
Screaming Jets,
Motley Crew.

As for a single song, I would have to say "High Country" by Lee Kernaghan. It basically encapsulates what I want to be able to do in life. Work Hard, enjoy life & go camping with my wife & dog when I want.

As for a rift, I would rate the guitar piece in "Better" by The Screaming Jets as my fav.

Well that ends my monster post. do I get an award for talking up the most lines???

Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:28 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

"old fart" rock.

PINK FLOYD (by far the winner - don't get me started on 'floyd trivia)

Creedence Clearwater Revival
Dr. Hook (well some of it)
ZZ Top
Jim Steinman (wrote alot of meatloafs and bonnie tylers music)
Joe Satriani
Led Zepplin
Black Sabbath

Favourite song ???
maybe "Learning to fly" (pink floyd)
or "comfortably numb" (pink floyd)
or "have a cigar" (pink floyd)

PS - rock trivia : "have a cigar" was the first modern music song/track to go longer than 3minutes 35seconds (which was considered how long people could dance for - 1963). pink floyd made a statement by creating "have a cigar" which origionally went for 35minutes 48seconds.....

Post Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:11 am 
Eyce

Currently Tsugaru from the Dance Dance Revolution games, as well as DAIKENKAI by Des-ROW feat. TSUBOI for ALPHA.

1st one is Techno, second is Japanese Hard Rock Smile

Post Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:51 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Pink Floyd is one of my favorites.

Also i love Apocalyptica, my favorite tracks of theirs are where they play metallica songs on cello Cool It is all instrumental, no singing, pretty amazing stuff.

Post Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:31 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

SUM 41 ,GOOD CHAROLETTE ,OFFSPRING , MEST, BLINK182, LIVING END

and SKA music eg madness , bosstones, bluebeat , the johnny sokos,
area7 ,....it has lots of brass and horns
ive played drums for 25 years so i guess i like the stuff a drummer can get into .......
but at work all day i generally listen to classical music ,i am collecting a huge movie sountrack library of classical music eg LORD OF THE RINGS ,soundtrack now that is a masterpeice Wink

Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:52 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Talking of Classical music, nothing comes close these days to creating an atmosphere around you like when listening to the original "War of the Worlds" production.

@Chrisjon: Will have to talk to you one night about drumming, looking at getting into them myself. Cool

Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:59 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I listened through Brett's track a few times. Its not bad at all. There is a Chemical Brothers track (maybe Clubbed to Death) that is a little similar in style to that. I also like the Eminem MoFo angry style of music.

Things I hate about rap include women being refered to as "bitch" or "ho", black people being refered to as "niger" and Australian rapers or country singers singing with American accents. On that note, I also don't like the word "gay" being used as a derogatory term. I think we should show tolerence to other people even if they are different to ourselves, except for New Zealanders. We must hate somebody.

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:47 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I've been hooked on the song Walk Idiot Walk by The Hives, absolute killer laugh Very Happy

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:21 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

well i listened to that track of bretts and thought it was missing something... SO i stuck in my atomixmp3 program and remixed it. Mr. Green IT SOUNDED EXELENT. BUT Neutral (yes there is amost alwasy a but) i forgot to save the damn thing.
*mental note invest in downloading a sound mixer program doing it with sounds that i had recorded is very tiresum... and another mental note SAVE THE DAMN SONGS THAT I REMIX...*

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:28 am