Favourite song
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

I just downloaded Shamanix by Hallucinogen, it's a pretty good song! Cool

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:24 pm 
teamspunout

Brett, you may like some early stuff by Tangerine Dream. They're a german progresdive rock/krautrock and from primarily the 70s. Their album "Goblin's Club" (IIRC either 1983 ir 1993) is a beautiful album with plenty of soundscaping with no vocals.

Im into anything that isnt mainstream. My big favourites at the moment are the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Joy Division, Interpol, early Modest Mouse, early The Hives (both for a different genre of music they were producing at the time), Kraftwerk (again, their 1970s stuff which was mroe krautrock than techno), Einstuerzende Neubauten & Red Jezebel.

Mm-hmm.

Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Hallucinogen Live, 26-28 November 2004, Earthcore Carnival 2004
Gouldburn River, Victoria, Australia

Brett, why didn't you tell me Evil or Very Mad I would have stayed another week or so in Melbourne just to go see Simon Posford! Damn it, I'll just have to download all the Hallucinogen songs!

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:12 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Simon Posford (Hallucinogen) is amazing live, but Earthcore isnt the place to do it. Simon would have to be my #1 favourite musical artist, but *I* didnt go to Earthcore to hear him.. why ?

Earthcore has gotten too big for my liking.. I used to go to every single one back from when they started up until about 2 years ago.. They were fantastic when they used to get 500-1000 people to them, OK when it was 1000-2000 people, and ever since they started getting 5000+ people they have totally lost what I liked about them..

To me, a party is where you invite your friends, friends of friends and new people who you would like to meet and have fun with. You dont go down the local pub and stick a big sign on the wall saying "Huge Party at Joe's place.. Everybody come and bring your dog too" (which is what Earthcore's advertising is like these days).

The result is that the place is now majorly infested with lots of very un-fun people to be around.. Yobbo's who's idea of a good night out is a couple of slabs, a good punch-on and a drunken stagger across the dance floor crashing into people and groping any cute girls who might be stupid enough to be there. Which is why I stopped going.. Hallucinogen or not.. (it was a tough decision, but I knew from past experience that it wouldnt be any fun regardless of how good the tunes were)

If you want to check out a much better outdoor dance party, the Rainbow Serpent Festival - http://www.rainbowserpent.net/ has a much nicer vibe to it. Its still a little big for my liking but the type of people who go to it are generally much friendlier than the Earthcore Crowd.

Ideally of course, you'll find me at the much smaller parties where the vibe is great, but then you dont get the big $ names live at them since they dont have the budgets to bring them in from overseas.. ah well..

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
groping any cute girls who might be stupid enough to be there.

lol what was that about my sisters Razz

if you like that LSD crazy stuff then go to the lillypad at big day out and do as my sisters friend did, got high off the cloud of dope and crap that was floating around in the air Very Happy

didnt mind the war of the worlds thing aaron send me tho.. but it does bring back the pain of having watching 1000 crappy rock eistedford things (damn i hate them..) on war of the worlds..

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Eyce

I'm listening to Initial D's Soundtrack Smile

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:56 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

heh, your sister was pretty cute if I remember her from RoboWars 2003.. Razz

"Big Day Out" sucks.. like I said, I'm not into *big* parties.. I dont see the point in putting 20 totally different crowds all at the one party and charging a fortune for tickets.. you might as well just put a roof over 20 different nightclubs at once and call it a huge single party.. except of course the promoters get to make more money by trying to attract every different musical taste of people to the one place.. Confused

Dope is a problem with particular people, not any particular chemical. Some people will find a way to mess themselves up whether its with legal Alcohol, Nicoteine, or any of the illegal ones. You get idiots no matter where you go, its just the amount of them that vary from place to place..

Music is audible solidified emotion. Some people like to be angry and violent, other prefer beauty and happiness, some like it sad and slow. some like it all at different times.. It all depends on where you like your mind to be at right now.

See what you think of this one.. Smile

http://www.wsc.net.au/t/mystery-track-01.mp3

if you like it, PM me and I'll tell you who it is..

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:39 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
heh, your sister was pretty cute if I remember her from RoboWars 2003..

Maybe we should have a Miss RoboWars title passed around at the RoboWars events for the cutest girl in the pits (under 21)! I think Glen's sister took the 2003 award and Mel's daughter Annie took 2004 award.

Razz

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:47 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Someone throw a cold bucket of water over Aaron.

Sorry Brett, I don't paticually like that sort of music. I perfer music that has come from a persons mouthm lips, hands, whatever... over music made by a computer. The music may be writtern by a human who spent a lot of time geting it to sound just right, but the computer can't put any emotion into it. It just repeats the same thing over and over. Where as I've heard a band play a song a one day and then sound completly different the next day even with the same song purely because the musicians felt different.
When your on stage with a huge audiance who are enjoying themselves the way the music comes out is great. A computer or synth can't do that.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Quite a nice song Brett, I have hunch that it's from Sphongle (SP?) from the Mystery of the Yeti realease. Razz I'm probably wrong, but that's my hunch!

You prove a very good point kero's, the only thing I'll argue is that your now comparing live music with pre recorded music. I'm sure Brett can back this up, when ever you hear a DJ playing some live techno, it's very rare you hear the song the same way twice. I like computer generated music because of the unlimited amount of sounds that can be generated over the traditional instrumental pieces. But on the other hand, I enjoy stuff like War of the Worlds which is a brilliant piece of work produced by Jeff Wayne, and it wasn't computer generated either.

I believe everyone channels into music differently, so that is why we have such variant tastes.

Brett, can you upload Alpha Centauri for just 1 day please Wink

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:28 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

You're very enititled to your opinions Mr Kero's, but I've had that argument many times before and its definitely not true.

Computers do not write music. People Do. The same type of people (in general) that play traditional instruments. Whether you are pushing buttons, turning knobs, sliding sliders, beating on bits of skin, plucking strings or huffing down a tube makes no difference at all. They're all just mechanical tools for expressing yourself with.

Keyboards are velocity sensitive, knobs can be turned and slider slid with plenty of emotion and feeling.. HAve you ever heard of a Theremin ? A D-Beam ? Touch Controllers ? Bend-Wheels ?

While some techno music *is* very slowly varying repetitive patterns (deliberately done to induce a trancelike mindstate), lots of other stuff has more human flourishes in it than you could poke a stick at, and when you listen to it on a CD, yes it doesnt change at all from one day to the next. Listen to a good electronic musician live and there is as much artist/audience interaction and set to set variation as any "traditional" musician has.

a friend (who writes electronic music) of mine's dad is a classical pianist and he has listened to a lot of electronic music and while he hates the sounds we use and much prefers his violins etc, he will admit that the structure and expression in the tracks is as good as any.. he just doesnt like the sounds that go with the structure;s.

Thats fine, I dont expect everyone to like the sounds.. I dont like Wine myself, it all tastes like different varieties of vinegar to me, but I understand that to a more educated palette there are many subtleties that can be detected, discriminated and enjoyed..

A good analogy I like to use is that if you dont speak italian, then somone reading a stock report in italian and someone reading shakespeare in italian will both sound exactly the same to you. Once you understand the language, *then* the differences in beauty become apparent..

Electronic music is much the same. let me assure you, the emotion *is* in there, Its just not where you are used to finding it.

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:34 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'll end this argument with a big bang can-o-worms and some humour Razz

This song is the best song ever!
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/feuer.php

The video clip is just so amazing, the technology used in teh special effects is world class Wink

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:53 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

sometimes it takes simplicity to illustrate stupidity and military people can be pretty stupid. Cool

hmm, arent the Kero's Army reserve ? Might be time for me to dig a trench.. or get myself a LMFAOGun Laughing

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:27 pm 
Windhammer

quote:
Originally posted by teamvertex:

The video clip is just so amazing, the technology used in teh special effects is world class Wink

that song rocks!!! lol the special effects are amazing. Laughing

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:35 pm 
Windhammer

quote:
Originally posted by teamvertex:

that song rocks!!! lol the special effects are amazing. Laughing

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:36 pm