www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

just wondering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 168, 169, 170  Next

Author    Thread
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

If your not comfortable with the MCU route I believe you can make something with a dpdt relay and some switches such that you can reverse the drive direction but if you drive into one of the limit switches it will lock out drive in that direction, only allowing it to go in reverse.

Otherwise a servo type system shouldn't be too hard to hack up (probably easier and more robust than a limit switch based one) with the new(ish) magnetic absolute position rotary sensors.

I'd suggest MCU into a victor as the way to go ;->

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:13 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, I was thinking that a Victor and some logic would do it. Those sensors sound interesting. thanks for the tip.

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:11 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Anyone know of any suppliers for colored magnet/winding wire?
Looking for something in the 0.8mm - 1mm size.

Want to wind some DLRK brushless motors and some colored wire would make identifying windings a lot easier Smile

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:01 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Will answer my own question... (More googling does help Smile)

www.bulkwire.com

They stock Natural/Gold, Red and Green magnet wire in a range of thicknesses and sized rolls. Prices and shipping look reasonable.

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:12 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Yay another overseas store...

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:43 pm 
seanet1310

Just wondering if anyone has played with any good rotary encoders or used hull effect sensors to detect the number of rotations of an axle .
Im having trouble finding any encoders that could be useful on more then 15w motors. ATM looking at mounting it to an output on a 100W scootor. or the output from a 3:1 reduction from a 100w scootor .
Just need the RPM mostlikly. but full location of the shaft would be more ideal
Any sugestions would be apreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The Opensource RepRap 3D Printer Project uses a Magnetic Rotary encoder chip from AustriaMicroSystems called the AS5040. that looks pretty clever - it can indicate position speed, direction etc all from a single magnet. I checked it out a while back and thought it looked pretty useful.

Unfortunately, I couldnt find any of the RepRap Kits that were in stock at any of the suppliers, you might need to dig around some of the RepRap Kit sources to see who actually has some - might take some finding, but read up on what it can do and it looked like the smartest pos encoder Ive seen.

Theres even example code (in that Evil/Easy Arduino code that people share so friendly Wink ) for you to look at.

Let me know if you find somewhere to buy one (or more) - I'll split the costs with you if you like, since I can think of a few uses for one myself.

http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/Magnetic_Rotary_Encoder_1_0

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

You can buy the AS5040 from Farnell Australia for $22.59/chip. Currently 3 in stock.

The rest of the circuit looks pretty trivial, quick session in Eagle and an email to BatchPCB gets you a board done for <$10. The rest of the components you can order from Farnell with the AS5040 chip.

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:13 pm 
seanet1310

Thanks brett/aaron.
You are right it does sounds like a very useful chip compared to a lot of the other options avalible. Ill look into it further

And not that evil Arduino that code is hard to read (compared to C IMHO but a lot disagree) but still guess its bassed on a c derivative so the sample code may be of use to getting it working. most of the code on the rerap page brett linked to looks like near pure C where it counts anyway.

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I'm looking at those AS5040's for sensing position for sensored brushless motors.

keep an eye on the speed, the higher resolution versions are limited to like 10 RPM.

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
andrew

so yeah, even tho ive been distracted lately by other matters and not been focusing on robot stuffs i can officially say i love my job, boss is lovely, people i work with r good and ummm..... yeahhhhhh HUGE MOTORS

next to a hawker battery for comparison and rapture in background

Service department had a cleanout and one of the main techys there John should be joining this forum any day now, hes an awesome guy

But yeah ill be working through these over next week or so testing them and tossing what cant be fixed (screwed windings, brushes not there etc), already got three complete setups working (gearbox and motor) and every motor works fine practically so.....)

the motors all have electric brakes on the end and a tiny d shaft but when u rip the brake off u get a nice 4cm or 8mm shaft basically

If anybody needs a electric motor for a pump or miscellaneous project of a large size let me know via pm and well sort something out

Still got half a box at work to go through still Shocked

Oh also the gearless/brushless drives we use for some of our power chairs, literally about 12 cm diam and 6 cm thick, there insane. Ill never have one as there roughly 5 grand each Very Happy

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:19 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

windings can be fixed, those look like awesome servo motors for CnC stuff then

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:50 pm 
seanet1310

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
The Opensource RepRap 3D Printer Project uses a Magnetic Rotary encoder chip from AustriaMicroSystems called the AS5040. that looks pretty clever - it can indicate position speed, direction etc all from a single magnet. I checked it out a while back and thought it looked pretty useful.

Unfortunately, I couldnt find any of the RepRap Kits that were in stock at any of the suppliers, you might need to dig around some of the RepRap Kit sources to see who actually has some - might take some finding, but read up on what it can do and it looked like the smartest pos encoder Ive seen.

Theres even example code (in that Evil/Easy Arduino code that people share so friendly Wink ) for you to look at.

Let me know if you find somewhere to buy one (or more) - I'll split the costs with you if you like, since I can think of a few uses for one myself.

http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/Magnetic_Rotary_Encoder_1_0

Not a full kit but http://store.makerbot.com/electronics/pcbs/magnetic-rotary-encoder-v1-0.html claims to stock the pcb
Aaron posted a local source for the chip and i can only assume that the caps and resistors have to be soursable locally.

There is also the adaptor board from the manufacturer.
http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/eng/Support/Design-Resources/Demo-Eval.-Progr.-Boards/Rotary-Encoders/AS5040-AB-Adapterboard/%28oi%29/1

not sure on a source for the magnet however

Post Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:58 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

Is there anything fun I can do with a plasma screen that has a cracked screen? Picked it up off the side of the road, from a change of contrast and some vague outlines, everything up to the display seems ok-ish.

Assuming it's pointless to fix based on replacement screen cost, looking for some hack for it...

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:06 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Turn it into a fish tank Smile

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:36 pm