www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

The RoboWars Computer Tech Support Department
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 66, 67, 68  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

I wasn't complaining, just merely explaining that Linux is a little harder to muck around with when you've been born and bred on Windows systems Smile I like mucking around with configurations because I learn how to break and fix things quicker Razz

I can't remember how many times I delete things in Window 3.11 before I learnt what not to delete Smile

Post Thu May 19, 2005 10:36 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
i use firefox too and personally if it wasnt for the whole virus thing i would dump it in the recycle bin straight away because frankly using it is possibly the most annoying thing..

Try Opera. (www.opera.com)

I much prefer it over FireFox. As installed, it possibly has a few *too* many features enabled, and if you arent running at 1024 (preferably higher), then all the toolbars can take up too much desktop space, but you just right-click on them, select customise and turn the ones you dont want off.. I just have the basic buttons, a google search, and the the hot-links on. The side panel you can hide with just one click, then you have a nice minimal interface with maximum browsing space.

Opera isnt free though - you either have to wear a little ad-window at the top, or go looking for a serial number (like thats hard).

My only complaint with Opera is it doesnt work with National Banks net banking page, which is about the only reason I ever start the "Internet Exploder" these days..

Post Thu May 19, 2005 10:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Theres no real point in using linux if your not prepared to muck with stuff, its what the OS is about . Linux is based on the shell (windows users, think of DOS, but with functionality) and to configure things properly you need to learn to use it. Graphical config programs often dont work the way you would expect them to (this can happen in windows too) so its best to just edit the config files, that way you know it will be doing exactly what you've told it to.

I run four linux boxes here, three on Fedora Core 3, and one running Gentoo. Although Gentoo is good, in as much as being lightweight and built for performance, I still prefer Fedora, as it just seems to be a more polished OS, and comes with a lot more packages (it installs like 4.2GB!) so chances are you already have the dependencies required to install other progs without having to download them.

I converted from windows back in the days of Redhat 5.1, and cant say Id go back.
I wouldnt mind using Windows if it wasnt the fact that Microsoft keeps trying to make it more "user friendly" and the amount of crap you have to install just to keep it running and virus free, not to mention the fact that you cant use it for much longer than a few days before having to reboot it due to memory leaks / general shit performance etc. I still keep a copy for SolidWorks, Reason and for LANs, but other than that, it doesnt get used.

Fedora Core 4 is now on test 3 and will be released in a few days, I'd say download that if you feel like messing with the latest linux has to offer. I agree with Brett about how good the driver support is getting, Windows used to crap all over linux in the driver department, that seems to have changed. I can even do SATA hard drive hotplugs now, something that seems to lock up windows constantly.

As for Microsoft buying Redhat, I dont see that happening unless its just to get rid of them, theres way too much pride over at the Microsoft camp to admit that a freely avalible OS presents a large enough threat to warrent action like that . . . . and Microsoft Linux 2010 doesnt sound quite right . . .

It all comes down to personal prefrence really, do you just want to use the OS and associated apps with minimal fuss and stability? Or do you want to tweak the thing to within an inch of its life and squeeze every last drop of performance out ?

ffej.net

Post Fri May 20, 2005 12:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

mmm i cant say i have problems with windows stability.
put it this way, its more stable than our power.
or my desire to alter hardware
my "router" has had uptimes of 240 days or so running mysql, various IRC clients, IIS, DHCP NAT etc and acting as a general file store, all off a K6-2 500
with 128mb ram.

linux is still not as "easy" as windows, use it for stuff you dont want to interact with unless you like playing with linux rather than whatever else you may be wanting to do. IE i will soon be converting my router to linux.

by the same token if you are just using it for office apps then linux is good too. open office seems pretty good (even though i managed to crash it within like 10 minutes of using it) and is 90% compatible with office (seems word can have some basic formatting issues with images but eh) fire up samba on for your windows networking and your set.

its the middle range where you are more likley to "lightly screw with stuff" that linux is loosing out and windows is winning. When linux gets its graphical admin tools and some form of cohesan between the various bits then your in for trouble.

at the moment i like open source running on windows
firefox
outlook (for the ipaq)
open office
rhino (eh sue me)
gimp
mysqlcc
phpcoder
visual studio (eh sue me again i write doze SW)
pretty much sums most of what i do.
though i do have madrake 9.1 installed for dual boot on here, its just not as "user friendly" at the "power user" level yet.

"linux is hard to be 'OK' at"

Post Fri May 20, 2005 12:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Does anyone know how to remove a toolbar called "Mysearchnow"? I have tried add/remove but it wont work.

Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:03 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Its a fiddly one to get rid of.. heres a link to some specific removal instructions if you are comfortable editing your registry and using HiJackThis

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/lofiversion/index.php/t51021.html

This is a good website to find info on removing lots of varietie sof spyware..
http://spywareinfo.com/

After getting rid of it, dont use Internet Explorer. Its just too vulnerable to junk these days.. Go for FireFox (or even better Opera)

Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks. That looks like what is wrong. I might get someone in to fix it as it looks a little tricky.

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:14 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

use microsoft anti-spyware
its pretty good and free
reboot into safe mode and run it (and perhaps adaware too)

Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I'd personally avoid anything of that nature by Microsoft.

Based on Microsofts past history of "middleware" production...

1. Small company identifies market, fixes weakness in Windows due to Microsofts poor coding and addition of "features" with no regards to security. (ie, allowing Browsers to automatically install software on your computer).

2. Microsoft waits until its a critical problem annoying the crap out of people and starts to affect their market share negatively (like I.E. is now)

3. Then build a sub-standard bloated product, base it on their own protocol "extensions", make it deliberately incompatible with everyone else, but get everyone to adopt it anyway by releasing it free and/or with Windows (Firewall, ICQ vs Msn Messenger, Hotmail, Media Player etc etc)

4. Wait until the give-away of their free product has eliminated the competition (eg, Netscape), then start doing dodgy deals with spammers (hotmail), spyware providers (claria), Licening rights to "content producers" (wmv format) and so on for $ to bypass their "anti" spam / spyware software, or allow access to "their" media channels.

5. Laugh at everyone else as their proprietary protocol keeps everyone else out and they profit at your expense.

Screw them.. just dump their cruddy browser and use one written by people who care about compatibility and security..

Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:10 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i was more speaking in terms of to fix the problem
microsoft anti spyware is still ok though
when its running it still shows up with all the giant anti-spyware exe names and the like lol.

personally i use firefox
and i have just set myself up a proxy etc scanner that transparently gets rid of all that crud before its even allowed on the network

Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:35 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Thank you gentlemen, the Microsoft Anyispyware has done the job. There were 13 different programs that it automatically deleted and there were about 5 or 6 that I blocked using the software.

Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:32 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

heres a quicke, how is it that checksum and CRC are different aside from the number in which they divide the packet of data..... from what this lame IPT text book is saying they basically divide it by a different number and thats the only way in which they differ...

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:29 pm 
colin

I've got feeling this is one spockie can answer in an essay, but here is a short answer.

A checksum is literally that, it sums up a series of terms (and can then divide by something, but that's not necessary) This acts as a basic form of error checking.

Cyclic Redundancy Check is a more robust method for checking errors within a packet. It uses more clompex methods to reduce the probability of an undetected error.
CRC example:http://www2.rad.com/networks/1994/err_con/crc_how.htm

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:49 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

*takes deep breath*

What he said. Razz

Theres lots more to it I could waffle about if you needed to write your own CRC algo's, but Colin summed (Wink) it up nicely..

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:03 am 
colin

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
but Colin summed (Wink) it up nicely..

Bad. Just really bad. Razz

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:18 pm