www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Speed controler info
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thats OK, I didnt mean to imply there is no other solution..

Microswitches and Drill Triggers and things like that are definitely alternatives if you have the skill and patience of Jeff or Chris to tune the setups and can drive them. The #2 and #4 ranked bots are both switch-driven..

But its still a nice buzz to realise that something you designed (with help from the OSMC project) is helping so many people out there to have fun and win.. Very Happy

Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

word to that, love that plug and play action

Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

The victor 883 isn't a duel speed control is it? What would be the next step up from the IBC? say, to control 4 100 or 200w scooter motors? Smile
(Thinking lightweight all terrain bot here!) Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:20 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

RS80 would be a good choice if an ibc cant hack it.

they are $287 us so thats 372 australian plus whatever postage so for the extra say $100 you get all the fetures of an ibc plus rc flip current limating and 80 amps per channel 4-42v operation.

Well worth it i say. And you should never blow it up on scooter motors with current limating.

http://robot-solutions.com/RS1/product_info.php?products_id=29&osCsid=0297ef6e555d780e0ad707fbd5d28e37

Last edited by timmeh on Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:27 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Could you show me a site? Thanks! Do you think a heavyweight for normal combat with 2 motors could use it? I just think, if i buy a speed control, i'd buy one only, for all my bots. Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:32 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Heavy weights use it and a few middle weights use it.
redrum 'middle weight' drove around for 30 secs with a jammed up wheel and the controller didnt get hot.

http://robot-solutions.com/RS1/product_info.php?products_id=29&osCsid=0297ef6e555d780e0ad707fbd5d28e37

It has current limating so it wont let any more then 80amps threw the controller.

If you buy it from robotcombat.com its cheaper at the mo.

I will be getting one if my victors cant handle my middle weight.

Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:34 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

i know it sounds stupid, but could you put one of them in a feather? Very Happy
I only want to buy one speed controler, so that i don't have to keep upgrading as i build bigger bots, and evolve with australia's combat robot community! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:17 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

jeffs got an rs-80d in singularity/catalyst

Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:27 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

It would be interesting to know just how much the RS80 cost Jeff by the time he'd landed it in Australia, paid the postage, GST, Duties etc.. Mind letting us know Jeff ?

I'd even consider getting one myself once we start looking at some bigger bots. Although maybe I should just start working on an IBC Mk II Rolling Eyes.

Its tough to get current limiting in a locally manufactured controller the price of the RS80 though.. Parts cost too much down here.. Sad

Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:35 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

It's AUS$420 to buy it from the robot marketplace, including shipping.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:43 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yes, but you will possibly get hit with GST and duty on the way in (depending on what the total comes to), which is why I wanted to ask someone who's actually bought one in - Jeff

What I paid Jim (Robot Market Place), and what my last order from there actually cost me were two very different numbers, thanks to DHL and their fees, GST and Duty.

Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:52 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

I was pretty fortunate that I avoided duty and GST on the order that contained the RS80D, I think it must have been because it was sent via USPS Express instead of DHL, because the last order I needed in a hurry, got it sent DHL, and then got slugged with GST and a customs fee, not to mention the fact that it still didn't arrive in time for the event thanks to DHL offloading my package to AAE, who take like two days to deliver to my place . . . the same amount of time it takes DHL to get the packages from the USA to here . . . . needless to say I was pretty pissed off that day, I paid more than double the freight cost, plus GST and fees, and still didn't have the goods.

A few things you should know about the RS80D:

For some reason it never reaches 100% duty cycle, just seems to hover around 90%. This could be something to do with my reciever though.

When you turn off the TX while its powered on, it activates the drive tor a few seconds before failsafe kicks in. Again, this could be my reciever sending bogus, but valid pulses to the controller that it just interprets.

Its pretty heavy, about double the weight of the IBC, which is both good and bad at the same time, . . . more thermal mass in the heatsinks, but less weight for the rest of the bot . . .

Its also fairly big . . . you will probably want to take off the fan if your using it in a feather, as it sits about 10cm tall with it on.

Anyway, there just a few things, im sure I'll remember more things later and will post them up as I do . . .

ffej.net

Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Uh.. a $$ figure would have been handy.. Laughing

Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:36 am 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Heh, sorry . . . It was a long night of bot building before I came to post that . . . I cant find the invoice, but im pretty sure it ended up at about $490. The exchange rate wasnt real good at the time which pushed the price up and I dont think there was a special on.

The reason I didnt buy an IBC was because when Singularity was running six drill motors, I was continually frying 60A relays, and I didnt think the 50A IBC could handle it, since im pretty sure it was designed for only two.

Another point . . . . the RS80D uses the same switchmode regulator as the IBC, and is very intolerant of rapid voltage change, eg a dodgey battery connector. When it blows up, it doesn't do things by halves, and blows up better than any fet ive seen, taking tracks off the board, and since it has four or five layers, it can be a pain to fix.
So make sure that your power leads to your RS80D, or IBC for that matter have no chance of coming loose enough to intermittantly stop conducting, or you will end up with smoke. Come to think of it, didnt Andrew's IBC keep blowing its regulator before he gave up on it ? It could have been loose power leads that led to it, not wiring it the wrong way or an IBC fault . . .

ffej.net

Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Jeff was way unlucky with all the charges. If you ship something USPS, mark it "parts for model toy" and its under $500, you should never get slugged with extra charges. I waded thru the customs code book until I found that model toys and their parts are definitely exempt from duty.

If the declared value is $500 to $999, you often get hit with GST, but not always. If the value is over $1000, you get hit with GST and probably a $40 + inspection fee.

Angus would be right on the money, unless the conversion rate slips.

Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:07 am